Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 09:53 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
Ok be mad at me or whatever but if people don't realize that the rich are cleansing Florida by making it impossible for middle class and lower class to continue living here you are kidding yourselves! In today's paper there is an article about how Citizens Insurance is going to raise our rate again and now all the other insurance companies will follow!

Here is part of the article, you can read the rest at: http://www.sptimes.com/2006/11/17/St...seek_rec.shtml

The net effect of the dual January-March increase is that homeowners who have Citizens policies and live in coastal sections of Pinellas could see their premiums rise a total of 97.4 percent. In coastal Hernando, the increase would be 59 percent, and in coastal Pasco, 55 percent.

Business owners would fare much worse. In coastal Pinellas, the county's 561 commercial property owners who have Citizens policies could see their premiums jump 969 percent, making the average yearly premium soar from $1,514, to $16,190.

Citizens' 161 commercial policyholders in coastal Pasco and Hernando could see increases of about 420 percent.

This is OUT OF CONTROL!!! Florida will become a desolate wasteland of closed businesses and foreclosed homes!

Positive reputation for you! I totally agree! However I think the poor people will stay, they dont have money for a house anywhere so it makes no difference for them. The middle class can afford a house, just not in Florida. The rich can afford a house or better yet, mansion almost anywhere they feel like. One only has to take a look at CA to see that much of the middle class left the state. The rich, poor and illegal immigrants stay. The story is repeating itself in Florida. The rich have enough for a nice house and to foot the insurance. The poor generally rent, live in mobile homes or like three familes in a detached house! Those lucky enough to own their house free and clear may cancel their insurance. Id rather risk the hurricane than the greedy insurances!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2006, 10:05 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Keep raising the rates till no one can afford those interest only mortgages. Oh I forgot, you can't lose money in real estate.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:58 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Keep raising the rates till no one can afford those interest only mortgages. Oh I forgot, you can't lose money in real estate.

Alot more people are moving out than in. Ive noticed alot of Floridas have become renters and eventrually leave. Some go uninsured(if you have no more mortgage) and take the risk.

Old 11-18-2006, 09:06 AM

33 posts, read 100,909 times
Default Whaaaaaat?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Alot more people are moving out than in. Ive noticed alot of Floridas have become renters and eventrually leave. Some go uninsured(if you have no more mortgage) and take the risk.
Is that a true statistic???? I thought like a gazillion people were moving to FL each day.... Are there truly more people leaving than moving there???

Old 11-18-2006, 09:21 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirlGoinSouth View Post
Is that a true statistic???? I thought like a gazillion people were moving to FL each day.... Are there truly more people leaving than moving there???
At one time there were 1000 a day moving to florida but the numbers have dropped. The jobs that are here are minimum wage jobs. You cant live here on minimum wage.

Last edited by firemed; 11-18-2006 at 09:53 AM..

Old 11-18-2006, 09:25 AM

Minimum wage really? What kind of jobs do you mean? Working at TGI Fridays? I mean working in a chain restaurant or store, I would expect that but what about in a skilled position, like for a utility company or a bank or office? I will be looking for work so this is important to know, I have 2 kids to feed!

Old 11-18-2006, 09:32 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
On one income with two kids you can possibly make it by the skin of your teeth.

You will need to be tough in negotiating the rental rate. Hopefully you have relatives or close friends that can host you for a month or two before you get on your feet.

There are scores of online sources for jobs. Probably the best thing to do is research appropriate companies in the region of Florida you are interested in (Tampa Bay area I believe).

You can begin to demonstrate your skills by successfully performing such research between now and June 2007, and a heads-up company will recognize and appreciate that.

You certainly have to expect to make significantly less than in New Jersey, but if you can negotiate a good rental rate and, as you already mentioned, find a job with insurance benefits (good luck), then, again, you can probably get by, but it will be a struggle on one income with two kids.

All the best.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:04 AM

bale002, Thankfully I am in a two income family. We are counting on the fact that our incomes will be reduced drastically. Fortunately, the sale of our home here will help us with our move and we should be able to buy a home there and have a small mortgage. Which will most likely be less than renting!!
We are not people who carry debt so it will just be getting used to bringing in less money. But if money were a reason for anything we wouldn't be moving. If we cared about money, we would stay. We are moving to be closer to family and to me I really don't care if I make min wage as long as one of us has benefits. Is getting a job with health insurance difficult in FL?

Old 11-18-2006, 10:15 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirlGoinSouth View Post
bale002, Thankfully I am in a two income family. We are counting on the fact that our incomes will be reduced drastically. Fortunately, the sale of our home here will help us with our move and we should be able to buy a home there and have a small mortgage. Which will most likely be less than renting!!
We are not people who carry debt so it will just be getting used to bringing in less money. But if money were a reason for anything we wouldn't be moving. If we cared about money, we would stay. We are moving to be closer to family and to me I really don't care if I make min wage as long as one of us has benefits. Is getting a job with health insurance difficult in FL?
I have a guy next to me that is from a little town called South Amboy NJ. He moved here and could not find a job at first. He has a small 1 acre lot and started a trucking co. with just 1 truck. His wife found a job with good insurance and they like it here. you can do well here, but it might be a change from what is in NJ.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:25 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
If you have two incomes and can make a big down payment on a house, plus family nearby, you will be fine. However, do some careful research and calculations on homeowners insurance because I believe it will be mandatory even if you have a small mortgage, but research it for your potential situation (location of house and year built are two very important factors). In any case, for a good proportion of Floridians, the state-funded Citizens is the only option, and to get started with your research just read some recent threads on this topic.

I am not an expert on what types of companies in Florida offer health insurance as part of their compensation package. But I do know that the trend in the US in general is for corporations to phase out pension and health insurance benefits, and in some cases some have even weaseled out on paying pension liabilities.

Maybe some other posters can offer more detailed information. However, generally speaking, public sector, utilities, and perhaps a large bank are good candidates among employers who still offer insurance benefits as part of their compensation package, so you might be on the right track.

Good luck, and I am confident that you and your family will enjoy the southern (or Gulf-side) Florida lifestyle more than New Jersey, especially if you have family around.

One more thing, if I may (and something you probably already do): take a very active part in your children's education. Do NOT rely on the public system to do it for you.

Again, all the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida