Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 10:41 AM

3 posts, read 5,334 times

Advertisements

JerseyGirlGoinSouth: Don't know what part of the Tampa Bay area you're heading to, but if you're near Lakeland, I would suggest Geico; good company, good pay for the area, and comprehensive benefits. Just a thought. Also, I moved to Florida from NY almost 6 years ago - prepare for a lot of changes. Not necessarily bad, just different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2006, 11:19 AM

33 posts, read 100,909 times
Thanks for the replies. My sister works for FL Farm Bureau Ins Co so hopefully she can clue me in on the insurance costs BEFORE I lay out the money on a specific house.
I have and always will be actively involved in my children's education. I truly believe it makes a huge difference when the parents are involved and know whats going on. I'm a little frightened about the school systems in FL because the reputation is so bad and my kids are thriving up here, but I hope with active involvement we will do OK. My daughter just made "Distinguished Honor Roll" for her 1st quarter in 6th grade. I didn't even know such a thing existed. She rec'd A's in every subject. I think SHE will do well under almost any circumstance. My son, on the other hand needs more motivation and supervision. He's only in 3rd grade and he's doing great, just not as self-motivated as she is. Sorry to bore ya'll with all of this, just kind of thinking out loud.....We're all so excited to be moving closer to family that good or bad were going to make the best of it!

Old 11-18-2006, 12:17 PM

21 posts, read 45,283 times
I just got back from the seafood festival and a week of visiting friends and wandered into this conversation. I live in Sarasota on the water and my insurance and taxes are on the rise with no end in sight. I'm not complaining because I know it does cost more to live on the water but I am stating facts. We own a business that has many locations through out the state. The taxes, insurance and healthcare premiums are becoming an issue. The last thing we want to do is cut benefits or let go some of our workers , but to remain profitable that might be our only recourse. My father started the business many years ago in Sarasota and it has grown to be quite sucessful and very well respected. He always believed in taking of his employees to the best of his ability. We treat them all like family. We will be deeply saddened if we have to follow a path we don't want to go down.

Old 11-18-2006, 07:14 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I know the feeling, we may have to close our business because of taxes, insurance and healthcare. Our competition undercuts our prices, but we can't cut costs anymore. Also I have a lot of respect for people like you who care about their employees.

Old 11-19-2006, 06:44 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirlGoinSouth View Post
Minimum wage really? What kind of jobs do you mean? Working at TGI Fridays? I mean working in a chain restaurant or store, I would expect that but what about in a skilled position, like for a utility company or a bank or office? I will be looking for work so this is important to know, I have 2 kids to feed!

Job first, move second.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:06 AM

21 posts, read 45,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I know the feeling, we may have to close our business because of taxes, insurance and healthcare. Our competition undercuts our prices, but we can't cut costs anymore. Also I have a lot of respect for people like you who care about their employees.
Thank you. As a side note to this day my father probably knows the first names of the majority of our workers (nearly 100 people). He is 81 years old and sharp as ever (kind of reminds me of Bob Barker from T.V.). I know they appreciate that. We have been invited to many family functions by our employees including weddings, baptisms, graduations and the like over the years. A big honor for me was when of the young girls in our office asked me if I would give her away at her wedding. Her father had passed on some years earlier. I think I cried more at her wedding than my own kids. I have hope that something can be done about the issues we are discussing here about our state. Eventually my boys and my brothers boys will take over the business. I can only pray that they are able to keep things alive and continue in our families tradition. Anything else would be unacceptable.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:38 AM

243 posts, read 1,097,170 times
Florida's always been a playground for the rich. Was from the start, back in the 1920's when the railroads were built to connect lux hotels and transport wealthy vacationers. Florida always has been wealthy snowbirds+retirees surrounded by lower class mass of servers and farmers. The middle class has always been small here, but with guts, smarts, and some luck, some of the nonwealthy have done well (often by serving the rich here). It's a beautiful state with great weather and lots of stuff to do, but sacrificies have to be made to live here unless you're moving down here with money. So no the rich aren't trying to drive the rest of us out, as really this place was built around them from the start. The trick is making it work for you and getting a piece for yourself, there's lots of money down here but one's got to develop plans to get the $$$ out of the ones here with money. I'm still working on mine, and I'm going to defy any forces that try to kick me out of paradise. I'm a stubborn young fart.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:22 PM

33 posts, read 100,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredinfla View Post
Thank you. As a side note to this day my father probably knows the first names of the majority of our workers (nearly 100 people). He is 81 years old and sharp as ever (kind of reminds me of Bob Barker from T.V.). I know they appreciate that. We have been invited to many family functions by our employees including weddings, baptisms, graduations and the like over the years. A big honor for me was when of the young girls in our office asked me if I would give her away at her wedding. Her father had passed on some years earlier. I think I cried more at her wedding than my own kids. I have hope that something can be done about the issues we are discussing here about our state. Eventually my boys and my brothers boys will take over the business. I can only pray that they are able to keep things alive and continue in our families tradition. Anything else would be unacceptable.
Have any job openings?

Old 11-21-2006, 07:06 AM

942 posts, read 2,583,861 times
tallrick, you definately surprised me by your humanity with this post. Fianlly something nice..I knew there had to be some niceness in that tallness.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:35 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
There's still some good people left, even in Florida! Besides, it's the idiotic real estate bubble I hate, but hardworking businesspeople who build the economic base of the community get my special consideration. I have actually paid my associates more than myself just because they have worked so hard. It's the employees who make the business great. It's sad that the government is killing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida