Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 04:03 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times

Advertisements

It's in the upper 20s, windy, and drizzling in Missouri right now. I've been contemplating a move to Minnesota, but think I may grow tired of the winter weather.

Florida seems like a nice option, but I also fear that I may get tired of not having seasons. But it sure would be nice to be able to do things outside December - February.

Do you ever get tired of the weather in Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 04:41 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,895,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Florida seems like a nice option, but I also fear that I may get tired of not having seasons. But it sure would be nice to be able to do things outside December - February.

Do you ever get tired of the weather in Florida?

Many people do, I do not. But I don't care about the other seasons, all I ever wanted was Summer, all year round. I never had any concern that I would tire of it, and indeed I haven't. Those who think they might miss the seasons usually do, so I would consider that carefully. The novelty of Florida will wear off pretty quickly- like within a year or two - and then you're stuck with it unless you can afford to move.

We DO have seasons, but they are pretty subtle - especially down here in the Keys where we never freeze at all. We look for different signs, like when the Royal Poincianas come into bloom, different seasons of fish, rainy season vs. dry season, mosquitoes vs. no mosquitoes. There are definite differences in nature that mark seasons here, but they are incredibly subtle compared to up North.

Are you ok with traditionally cold holidays always being hot and sunny? Do you mind never having snow again? More importantly, can you tolerate the fact that virtually all of Florida is completely flat, with almost no topographical features of note at all? This heightens the sense of sameness beyond simply the climate - and I really miss mountains, or even HILLS.

A lot of Florida is so heavily landscaped with non-native plants and chemicals that song birds don't land in suburban areas on their migratory patterns, opting instead to only land in nature preserves where food that they recognize is plentiful. That is often the most upsetting thing for people who move to certain areas of Florida - no more colorful birds that sing. You are likely though to encounter endless numbers of the Southern pigeon (Flying Rat), the Mourning Dove, whose coos may wake you up every day at 5AM.

Living in FL is not all negative by any means, but it IS different. So you have to be ok with living a very different life, including dealing with the loss of many things that are currently familiar and comforting.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:48 PM

Great post. Thanks.

I was born and raised in NC, but moved to MO a few years ago. I still miss the mountains and the beach, but have learned to adapt to flatness. I've actually been enjoying the Midwest, but around January, I get tired of winter. Super hot and humid summers are annoying too, but that kind of weather is usually over by September. Seems like Florida would be most enjoyable October - March.

I think I could adjust to the weather. But my only other concern is that Florida seems to be primarily residential suburbia and doesn't have much "downtown" feel to it outside of Miami or maybe Jacksonville or Tampa.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:42 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Yes! I am hating the weather here in Florida right now. It supposed to be close to 90 degrees next week in December. It's ridiculous! I would gladly trade the weather in Missouri for this Florida weather. It is cold everywhere else but here. It sucks and makes me seriously consider moving up north somewhere. I dislike not having the change in the seasons like other places. I get so jealous when I see pics of colored leaves in Tennessee or Vermont.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Yes! I am hating the weather here in Florida right now. It supposed to be close to 90 degrees next week in December. It's ridiculous! I would gladly trade the weather in Missouri for this Florida weather. It is cold everywhere else but here. It sucks and makes me seriously consider moving up north somewhere. I dislike not having the change in the seasons like other places. I get so jealous when I see pics of colored leaves in Tennessee or Vermont.
I think the best weather is in NC, SC, GA, and the rest of the southeast. 4 distinct seasons but with mild winters.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:08 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,067 times
The summers can really wear you down in Florida. Especially the further south you go. They 'feel' as though they are getting hotter and longer as well. When I first moved here 16 years ago the summers were hot but I don't remember there being so much rain and humidity. Holy crap the humidity. Then come October things really cooled off and by the time Halloween comes you usually have your first real cold front. Seems the last half decade or so though things are staying a little warmer and later. Recent years it has been hot almost all the way to December and almost feels like we never get a winter.

I don't know about anyone else but the humidity and high temps are starting to wear on me some.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:25 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
The weather is one of the main reasons I moved to Sarasota 31 years ago. Snow, ice, wind chill factors, ridiculous heating costs just didn't cut it for me in Brooklyn NY.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:38 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Quote:
I think the best weather is in NC, SC, GA, and the rest of the southeast. 4 distinct seasons but with mild winters.
Yes, I really would love to move to either NC or TN but I just don't have any family up there.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:08 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
Agreed

Old 11-27-2015, 08:12 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Weather was the biggest reason I wanted out of Florida. Here in Raleigh, I get more happy the colder it gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida