Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 07:59 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,398,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Git Her Done View Post
Agreed Joey --- I say Good Riddance!
what is that they say about not letting the door hit you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 10:12 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
It baffles me why people would be offended because someone tries to point out all the good things about Florida. You don't have to be a diva about it, just say you like someplace else better and the weather and everything else doesn't convince you to stay.
My comment was more about how some can't imagine why others would even want to leave Florida.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:41 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
The OP has been WHINING about being here for years (under several user names, no less) - so glad she is finally getting out.... for chrissake.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:00 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
@Jo48

So, you are mad because someone from a younger generation generalized people your age/location, yet you just generalized the "younger generation" because of this one person?

"Well, this conversation just totally blew my mind with the younger generation."

There are so many hypocrites today that love to dish out so much, they don't realize how full of it they are themselves lol.
After reading the original post I just assumed she was full of alcohol consumed at the Christmas Party and couldn't quite make a post that made sense because of her disconnected thoughts and punctuation etc. .

Of course living and retiring isn't isn't for everyone. Just by the statement that she mentions they never go to the beach etc shows she never really "lived" the "Florida lifestyle" anyway. I think she may be in for a rude awakening when she actually gets "home" and times changed up there, too. People remember home the way it was. Everything changes.

For me, I just don't think I could go for weeks without seeing the sun and living in the "gray". One snow and the gray slush and I would be back home in Florida. But hey, that is just my opinion. I didn't move to Florida to just live here and then dream of home. I moved to Florida to make it my home. Not every one can do that.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:58 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Our last Office Christmas Party. She knew my husband was retiring and moving back up North. Another 50 something woman (transplant from Ct.) was in on conversation but gave up early on.

This young woman was from Maine. Oh, our daughter went to college in Maine and we drove back and forth to NY for her games in the WINTER during Snowstorms. I LIKED Maine. Nice people and pretty place even in the WINTER. Silence.

How will your husband like shoveling SNOW? My husband hates MOWING GRASS. Will living in Florida prevent THAT? We live in a Development where he doesn't have to mow the grass. No Developments for Seniors up North where he won't have to shovel SNOW, Rake leaves, or MOW GRASS up North?

"You won't be able to go to the beach, pools, outside activites, etc., in the Winter up North". I can count on all 10 fingers the number of times I have done ANY of these, whether in Florida, or up North.

It went on and on to point that the other older woman started laughing. I finally said to this 30 something woman, "Look, I am double your age. I know what I like and DO NOT LIKE. We are not clones of one another, whatever our age". It is purely the choice of the INDIVIDUAL person", to which the 50 something woman from up North simply said, "AMEN", even though HER choice did not coincide with MY choice.

Well, this conversation just totally blew my mind with the younger generation.
Surely you know better than to pin the entire "younger generation" with a conversation you had with one 30-something woman, don't you? That makes about as much sense as her concluding she thinks all seniors are dumb because they don't like Florida, based on your comments to her.

'm equally sure you convinced her how much you hate Florida and are counting the days till you can leave for good. Your comments on CD leave no doubt about that. Sooner or later that day will come, and you can concentrate on how happy you are in your new location instead of how miserable you are here.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
What's the purpose of this thread?
The OP must be getting closer to the end of her countdown to get out of Florida.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
After reading the original post I just assumed she was full of alcohol consumed at the Christmas Party and couldn't quite make a post that made sense because of her disconnected thoughts and punctuation etc. .

Of course living and retiring isn't isn't for everyone. Just by the statement that she mentions they never go to the beach etc shows she never really "lived" the "Florida lifestyle" anyway. I think she may be in for a rude awakening when she actually gets "home" and times changed up there, too. People remember home the way it was. Everything changes.

For me, I just don't think I could go for weeks without seeing the sun and living in the "gray". One snow and the gray slush and I would be back home in Florida. But hey, that is just my opinion. I didn't move to Florida to just live here and then dream of home. I moved to Florida to make it my home. Not every one can do that.
Or she will be gloriously happy that she is finally able to live in a location she loves, and will never have to darken the doors of the Sunshine state again. As we always say, "different strokes........"

I've lived in Florida for most of my life, now, worked, raised a family here and couldn't imagine living anywhere else now. But I can still understand why some folks might not like it, especially if they left an area they really did love under some protest, perhaps ( like for a husband's job). And as far as frequent trips to the beach being an essential part of the Florida lifestyle, for many people it is, but I can tell you that as beautiful as many of Florida's beaches are I don't get there very often either. Mostly that is because I burn like a *********** in the Florida sun, and it takes very little time to do so, especially at the beach. Sunscreen helps, but it doesn't prevent it. Being busy with life, work, other things also kept us from even thinking about the beach, as well as the traffic and crowds there- especially on the east coast.

But we've retired and now enjoy a Florida lifestyle on the west coast of FL, and appreciate our life here more every day. My wish for everyone would be to be as happy as we are, wherever it is they choose to hang their hats.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:10 PM

301 posts, read 368,721 times
GOOD RIDDANCE to those who are unhappy in FLORIDA

Bye.... Take care.... Have a good one.... We won't miss ya.... Don't let the door hit ya _____.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:18 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,408,472 times
I can't get mad at someone that wants to leave Florida. Even someone who may have carped on for years about how miserable they were here. The only thing that peeves me is when somebody wishes a cold front upon Florida. See, this is a social phenomenon where everybody thinks they have the obvious "solution" for everybody else's life. It's actually incredibly disrespectful to tell somebody "no, you don't want what you want, you want what I think you want." as if you were somehow privy to their innermost thought processes.

Most people couldn't possibly fathom why I prefer the heat and humidity of Florida, summers included, over the temperate gentle climes of Southern California. People were constantly telling me that I was going to hate it here. That I'd be returning to San Diego essentially with my tail between my legs because they simply cannot comprehend that I am moved by different forces than they are. Same goes with Jo48. She is moved by forces that are obviously incomprehensible to people who think that an endless summer works for everybody. I only wish her happiness and luck in her journey. Everybody should get to experience the satisfaction of having finally "made it."

Old 12-15-2015, 08:50 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,177,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post

Most people couldn't possibly fathom why I prefer the heat and humidity of Florida, summers included, over the temperate gentle climes of Southern California. People were constantly telling me that I was going to hate it here. That I'd be returning to San Diego essentially with my tail between my legs because they simply cannot comprehend that I am moved by different forces than they are. "
Temperate and gentle don't go in the same sentence for me. The water is just too darn cold in CA(that's what you get with 'temperate'). At least in FL you can be active with the ocean, not just look at it and take selfies. Of course not everything is about the ocean/beach. It depends on people's priorities in life.

When I moved here I was warned FL would be under water in 5 yrs.(that was 18 yrs ago). Goes to show how some people think..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: