Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 06:50 AM

17,182 posts, read 15,382,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Its my guess that your parents grew up in a different NY. Back pre-1970's NYC was a different bird. It was still crowded, expensive, all hustle and bustle, crowded roadways, over taxed infrastructure, tenements, dirty, etc etc. The whole picture changed like someone changing the channel on a TV set round 1970. A lot of people blame the Lindsay administration (1966-1973) for driving the city broke.

So, for those who were able to enjoy NYC and the metro area prior to 1970 had it quite nice.
Long Island wasnt crowded yet with all those who bailed out of the city. Look at places on the island now like 1Wyndanch, Central Islip, Brentwood, Downtown Bay Shore, Hempstead, Roosevelt, Freeport
Patchogue, Amityville, Riverhead.

A childhood friend of mine moved from Dyker Heights, Brooklyn to Commack, LI so his kids wouldnt be exposed to the crime and grime in the city. He admits he would be better off by staying in Brooklyn
and his kids would have been in better surroundings.

I joined the Have at 17 (1975) and when I got back in mid 77 I found it to be no better, but worse, then I left it. July 77 was the blackout. Wow.
I find most of Brooklyn to be relatively clean and safe. Aside from the obvious ****holes like Brownsville and Bed-Stuy, I like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 05:21 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Guess the 45 million people who voted for Bill Clinton in 1992 thought that was a Scottish accent!

In grammar school in MA, we all had to read Mark Twain novels. Twain was often referred to as "the great American novelist." He was born in Hannibal, Mississippi. William Faulkner was from Oxford, Mississippi. Margaret Mitchell was born and raised in Atlanta.

....and the list goes on and on.

Mark Twain was born in Missouri.. genius. Florida, Missouri, ironically enough. His books are mostly about life on the Mississippi, in the state of MISSOURI!

Old 01-06-2016, 09:46 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:

Also we do not use racial, slang or ethnic terms to describe others. That's not being harmonious as we were taught to be.
So how was calling southerners "dim witted" not a slur?

Old 01-07-2016, 07:48 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
Pretty much sums up why most people outside of New York and Boston hate people from New York and Boston.
Yep

Old 01-07-2016, 05:05 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
True and I agree. People are people. But you have to admit there is a far more common courtesy and overall happier, gentler environment in NC than there is here in FL.
Depends on where you live in NC. I will agree that in general NC is more friendly. However some of it is superficial as well. Common courtesy yes; happier, gentler, again depends on where. Over all NC as well as the bulk of the South is a bit more laid back and friendlier than FL, but not enough so as to make a major difference.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:24 PM

80 posts, read 85,383 times
Thumbs down Dumas

Quote:
NY State in total has around 19.5 million people living in 47,000 square miles of land and NYC has a population of about 8.5 million living in about 305 sq miles of land so it is densely populated.

As many as 800 languages are spoken in New York City making it the most linguistically diverse city in the world. Approximately 37% of the city's population is foreign born and earlier in the mid 20th century that figure was much higher. So there aren't any "typical" NY City residents.

Most of the NY/NJ people in FL are "old school" born to and raised by 1st and 2nd generation immigrants from Europe. We were raised to be very competitive. Most of us boomers and a generation or two before grew up in very crowded, busy and ethnically and economically diverse areas and living under those conditions requires a person to be on the top of their game to be sure that they and their families lived as well as possible. Getting a seat in a subway car is an excellent example of the competitive nature of New York city residents. Moving from NYC to NJ was a step up as they were able to live the suburban lifestyle and the same thing happened on Long Island and other parts of the metro area.

When we move away from the NYC area we do not loose our edge and we keep our very unique habits.
Obviously the rest of the U.S., especially in the Southeast do not understand this because they mostly came from lives with very narrow life exposures where everybody was about the same and lived the same lifestyle and never really had to compete with other nationalities, religions and races. That is why some of Northeasterners think that Southern raised people are dim-witted, slow and uninformed.

You had to have a certain "roughness" to succeed in NYC and the entire metro area. Its something we figured out early in life. On the streets, in school and in our careers. We don't loose that.

Many many famous people were born and raised in NYC. Famous People From New York, Famous Natives Sons - Worldatlas.com. My Brooklyn high school produced many notables Famous Alumni of Erasmus Hall High School | Celebrities Who Graduated/Went to Erasmus Hall High School

FL can't touch that but it doesn't make it any better or worse than anywhere else but FL is unique within its self and I am very happy making it my home.

Also we do not use racial, slang or ethnic terms to describe others. That's not being harmonious as we were taught to be.

I am from the Bronx. I love FL and all the people here. Go swim up the Bronx river and then swim the Crystal River. Figure it out. Sheesh.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Depends on where you live in NC. I will agree that in general NC is more friendly. However some of it is superficial as well. Common courtesy yes; happier, gentler, again depends on where. Over all NC as well as the bulk of the South is a bit more laid back and friendlier than FL, but not enough so as to make a major difference.
Oh it's a MAJOR difference. You can't not notice how much politer people are in GA, SC, and NC.

I don't care if it somewhat "superficial", it beats rude and demanding like you see so often in FL. It's all the northern transplants, unfortunately it has been tolerated and they outnumber the natives.

But it most certainly is a major difference in behavior.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:58 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Irish View Post
I am from the Bronx. I love FL and all the people here. Go swim up the Bronx river and then swim the Crystal River. Figure it out. Sheesh.
I am BX born, Brooklyn raised. No contest against Crystal River, is it?

Old 01-08-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Oh it's a MAJOR difference. You can't not notice how much politer people are in GA, SC, and NC.

I don't care if it somewhat "superficial", it beats rude and demanding like you see so often in FL. It's all the northern transplants, unfortunately it has been tolerated and they outnumber the natives.

But it most certainly is a major difference in behavior.
The population of people from the NE is about 1 million people with most of them in SE FL. Out of the million a small percentage fit your statewide label. You cant label the entire state based on a small segment of the population. Here in Spring Hill there are lots of NE transplants. Cant say Ive met anyone here who was rude, demanding, etc. Seems some people attract those types like a magnet.

I read that the populace of CA is superficial, flaky, self obsessed, surgery enhanced, like living in one big traffic jam, has air that is usually cant be breathed without suffering health issues, has an plethora of ridiculous laws, is over run with illegal immigrants, highly taxed, higher than US average unemployment rate, earthquakes, land slides, huge wildfires, drought, high housing costs, the highest rate of impoverished people in the nation, severe crime and gang problems.........

Old 01-08-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
I was riding my bike about a week ago. I waited for the signal to go across the street. I almost got all the way across but had to slow up because there was a line of cars (all with FL plates) making a right hand turn and not even stopping before turning, and certainly not looking toward me. Because I had to slow up and wait for these cars making a right turn. The light changed and the idiot in the right lane (who I was in front of) started to honk. I pointed to the cars still turning in front of me.

From a former NY/NJ resident, I really wanted to give him the Bronx cheer, but down here in FL, you never know if they'll think your finger is loaded and shoot you then say, "I was afraid for my life".
Back in NYC, the land of few legal guns where there are hundreds of murders every year and people shot on the streets as common as ants at a picnic, compared to the number of "I was afraid for my life" incidents do you see in THE ENTIRE state of FL in the past decade? I'd much rather live in a state where I can defend myself against criminals instead of being at the mercy of them. Do you know how difficult it is to prove you were within your rights to use deadly force?

Do you think you would get a break in Long Island traffic? Right on red turns are illegal in NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida