Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 08:08 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
What does that have to do with anything? There probably are more New Yorkers in NC and the people moving to NC were mostly transplants from elsewhere to begin with. This is not new, its been going on for years.

You have never answered a single question I poised. All you keep stating is that a lot of people from FL are moving to NC, how friendly the people are and that NC has a colder winter than FL.

You skip over other concerns that a person wbho is relocating there needs to know.

Well I can't measure and/or have data to measure friendliness. And you don't buy my story, which PDF already suggested, are real life experiences, so...

I could have 100 people chime in and 99 of them would back me up but you would still say these are just stories..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 05:32 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
people in F
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Well I can't measure and/or have data to measure friendliness. And you don't buy my story, which PDF already suggested, are real life experiences, so...

I could have 100 people chime in and 99 of them would back me up but you would still say these are just stories..
I dont believe that geographics causes people to behave in a certain way.

And of course people in FL are differrent than those in GA, SC, NC and other particular states.

How do NC people stack up to VA, MD, W. VA or people from Nevada?

Old 01-12-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
people in F

I dont believe that geographics causes people to behave in a certain way.

And of course people in FL are differrent than those in GA, SC, NC and other particular states.

How do NC people stack up to VA, MD, W. VA or people from Nevada?
I couldn't tell you how they compa to W VA or VA, etc. I've never lived there so I can't comment on that one.

As far as people in FL being different than those in NC, SC and GA... Yes most definitely, and if different means less friendly than you are correct.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I couldn't tell you how they compa to W VA or VA, etc. I've never lived there so I can't comment on that one.

As far as people in FL being different than those in NC, SC and GA... Yes most definitely, and if different means less friendly than you are correct.

You must have spent most of your life in a homogeneous situation. On the other hand, most people
lived in a diversified situation where we didnt expect people to all act alike and have expectations of how people should interact.

Surely people in rural or less populated areas who have not dealt with people of different cultures or in vastly different circustances in relation to their own may find people "not of their kind" less friendly or even hostile.

I think that causes a lot of friction between people because one group demands a certain response to
situations such as you and the lady at the Publix deli counter.

Concur?

Old 01-12-2016, 04:56 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,411,370 times
Quote:

I noticed the difference right away. Florida is not the place you go if you're looking for friendly people. One could only spend one day in NC or any of the other Southern states and notice the difference.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:07 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,445,439 times
Quote:
people from Nevada?
Super kind and friendly.
I experienced serious culture shock when I visited there.
It was surreal from life in South Florida.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:36 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:

I have lived foryears in:

CA, ID, NC, IN,TX, TN as well as time in NV and have visited FL many times.

There are differences. The South is at least superficially more friendly than the others, but it is only skin deep if you are not a native. Idaho was one of the overall most friendly places, and in TX and TN the people were very helpful and not judgmental. CA was just hectic. NC was not as friendly as TN or ID, but had a similar vibe as to superficial friendliness. NV was a place I and my wife were happy to leave.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
You must have spent most of your life in a homogeneous situation. On the other hand, most people
lived in a diversified situation where we didnt expect people to all act alike and have expectations of how people should interact.

Surely people in rural or less populated areas who have not dealt with people of different cultures or in vastly different circustances in relation to their own may find people "not of their kind" less friendly or even hostile.

I think that causes a lot of friction between people because one group demands a certain response to
situations such as you and the lady at the Publix deli counter.

Concur?
Yes I agree

Old 01-12-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Yes I agree
So, perhaps my theory explains why people in less diversified areas everywhere seem to be different.
It's not that it is aa bad thing. however I think once the transplants settle there in significant number (not saying the inflow to NC has been light) that friendliness factor is going to diminish except in areas that dont become diverseified.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
So, perhaps my theory explains why people in less diversified areas everywhere seem to be different.
It's not that it is aa bad thing. however I think once the transplants settle there in significant number (not saying the inflow to NC has been light) that friendliness factor is going to diminish except in areas that dont become diverseified.
Yes, over time, I think in places like the Carolinas, the friendliness factor will certainly diminish as more and more ppl move in. I don't disagree with that at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida