Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 06:26 PM

14,967 posts, read 9,794,276 times

Advertisements

I would look for a wind mitigation expert, someone who does inspections for insurance companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 04:12 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
Can an older home (even if it's concrete/block) roof typically be brought up to this kind of anchoring standard without tearing the whole house apart?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Difficult ... with lots of money, material and labor. I would want an engineer stamp, not just a contractor plan and use insurance company standards.
That's actually false. Wind Mitigation Strap Retrofits cost about a $1000 dollars with a licensed contractor, and without tearing anything apart.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:39 AM

25,704 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginan View Post
beach43ofus and Dave_n_Tenn - you are both so knowledgeable.

When you're shopping for a house how would you even begin to be able to find out the details you're mentioning about the roof?

Sounds like not even a regular inspector would have that kind of knowledge, or would they? Or would you need like a roofing contractor or an architect?
County building inspectors have forgotten more than I know now. I had some construction related work experience ~25 years ago, so I know a little. I've learned a lot here on City-Data, and I've asked home builders a lot of questions. I've had 2 new homes built, one custom, and one mass builder. When you go through the process, and if you are interested in the details, you learn from observing ans asking questions. I went to my job sites 2-5 times/week to see what was going on.

Ask the site foreman who are running the job sites building the homes in the neighborhoods you are considering to show you how the roofs are being constructed. Ask them to show you (at a home in-process) how they are conforming to current codes, or exceeding them.

Do NOT ask the sales people. They won't know, or they'll leave out important info. Just ask them to put you in touch with one of their "builders" which is what some of them call their site foreman that directs all the sub contractors. Another term for them would be General Contractor, but that term is typically used in commercial construction.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That's actually false. Wind Mitigation Strap Retrofits cost about a $1000 dollars with a licensed contractor, and without tearing anything apart.
Well ... are you suggesting one price fits all? as in all homes have the same need for wind mitigation?

The question posed wasn't just strapping trusses to the top plate. To your point, any additional wind mitigation helps, but to a degree. Strapping trusses to a top plate (frame) without knowing how the studs and bottom plate is attached to the foundation adds very little wind mitigation.

What if it's a block home without a tie beam or it's not re-enforced with rebar?

Point is... without a comprehensive total wind mitigation plan based on the (home) existing construction, stamped by an engineer and approved by insurance companies (for the discount) ... you will be adding cost without benefit.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:49 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,198,377 times
It's all where you are located. Wood frame is OK in Inland Florida away from the coast. Odds are even an intense hurricane will decrease a category or two after going inland and winds won't be higher than Cat 3 or 130MPH. That's the new building code in much of Central Florida....Orlando, Ocala, Gainesville, etc.

There is more energy efficiency in wood and they are all trimmed out nicely with concrete hardboard. Asphalt shingles can have ratings up to 130mph now. Metal roofing is better and considered a premium lifetime roofing material.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:26 PM

361 posts, read 258,738 times
Pfft - my experience; builder grade wood frame homes leak and rot. Yes, if you are an expert and supervise the daily progress, understand the nuances of window flashing, you can probably build a wood frame home that doesn't rot in the Florida rainstorms.

Please learn from my mistakes - don't buy a wood frame home (I did that twice). And PLEASE, don't buy a home with stucco over frame (at least I didn't do that). Not only might you live in hell, but your neighbors will hate you for the blue tarps that cover the failing stucco over frame while you try to figure out what to do.

Tell us logybogy, how did that fiberglass pool work out for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
It's all where you are located. Wood frame is OK in Inland Florida away from the coast. Odds are even an intense hurricane will decrease a category or two after going inland and winds won't be higher than Cat 3 or 130MPH. That's the new building code in much of Central Florida....Orlando, Ocala, Gainesville, etc.

There is more energy efficiency in wood and they are all trimmed out nicely with concrete hardboard. Asphalt shingles can have ratings up to 130mph now. Metal roofing is better and considered a premium lifetime roofing material.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
Pfft - my experience; builder grade wood frame homes leak and rot. Yes, if you are an expert and supervise the daily progress, understand the nuances of window flashing, you can probably build a wood frame home that doesn't rot in the Florida rainstorms.

Please learn from my mistakes - don't buy a wood frame home (I did that twice). And PLEASE, don't buy a home with stucco over frame (at least I didn't do that). Not only might you live in hell, but your neighbors will hate you for the blue tarps that cover the failing stucco over frame while you try to figure out what to do.

Tell us logybogy, how did that fiberglass pool work out for you?
Avoid gable roofs. My experience is different. To keep wood from rotting keep it dry and sealed. My preference would be 1/2-5/8 PT plywood, moisture barrier like tyvek (many choices) covered with hardi plank.

3' overhang, hip roof, gutters and wood will last a long time. All wood siding should be primed on the bottom edge. Avoid landscaping the first 2' out from the house. Avoid any wood mulch against the house, for many reasons, use 57 rock instead (my preference).

Old 09-14-2019, 06:43 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,485 times
Check out any video from the Bahamas, lots of wood on the ground . Most of the buildings that are still standing are CB.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Check out any video from the Bahamas, lots of wood on the ground . Most of the buildings that are still standing are CB.
What are the roofs made of? CBS homes have wood roofs.

You can't use selects news outlet pictures as a valid criteria without knowledge of building age and construction. They will always show the greatest damage. There is a progression of structural failure during any storm.

You're looking at pictures and making assumptions.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:28 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
What are the roofs made of? CBS homes have wood roofs.

You can't use selects news outlet pictures as a valid criteria without knowledge of building age and construction. They will always show the greatest damage. There is a progression of structural failure during any storm.

You're looking at pictures and making assumptions.

I went to the ultimate authority for building construction, The "Three Little Pigs". No straw or wood, stick with Block. That Hurricane will huff and puff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida