Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:59 AM

15 posts, read 68,801 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am looking forward to relocate from Key West, FL. I have been here for almost three years and I am ready to move. I would like to stay in Florida mainly because of the weather. I hate winters and cold weather. The biggest problem is that my husband loves snowboarding and misses Upstate New York and we can't decide where to move. I am trying to convince him that we have to stay in Florida. I need some help in picking up the right location for us.

1. We want to live in a midsized to large city, youthful, with night life, fun stuff to do. We do not want to end up in some retirement community or in a area with too many families. We are still young (26 and 27) and like to enjoy ourselves. We would like to find a place where people are friendly and welcoming to newcomers. We prefer to live in a safe neighborhood near downtown, walkable, near shops, dining, etc. max commute time to work 15 min.

2. We would like to find a town with a good job market. I am an event planner/catering manager, my husband is a Music/English teacher.

3. We will be renting and our limit is $1300/month for a one-bedroom apartment

4. We would prefer to be near the beach but this is not a non-negotiable

I am thinking about Tampa/St. Petersburg, Sarasota, Daytona Beach, Orlando, Gainesville (?) or maybe some other smaller town with good job opportunities.

We don't like Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, we have been there many times so they are out of the question.

Any imput will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

CeCe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 11:51 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,330 times
Probably Tampa/St. Pete, although the job market isn't too hot right now. Orlando's job market is atrocious.... Daytona is just... grimey and gross, in my opinion. Sarasota is a bit older.

Gainesville has a way different feel. It's hard to get a decent paying job there... but there are opportunities, you just have to research. A lot.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:31 AM

15 posts, read 68,801 times
Thank you for the info. Anybody else? Are there some young people who read posts on this forum and can give me some advice? I can't believe that 60+ people read this and nobody else answered.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:41 AM

120 posts, read 127,918 times
I don't think there is anywhere in FL that meets those requirements.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:26 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeCe26 View Post
Thank you for the info. Anybody else? Are there some young people who read posts on this forum and can give me some advice? I can't believe that 60+ people read this and nobody else answered.
I agree that Tampa/St Pete will get you an apartment near the beach for that money. It has a very large airport so you and your hubby can vacation for snowboarding. It has a large FL job market. It's not bad right now, despite what the other person said. Your skill could get you a job immediately in a tourism field, and everywhere in FL is looking for good teachers. Thus, you'll be fine!!!

There is a great 20something crowd in the area, in S Tampa and near the beach.

I would not choose Jacksonville as there isn't a GREAT scene for 20 somethings, although it is statistically the youngest city in FL. (per capita)

Sarasota has a great arts scene, but probably isn't what you are looking for. Miami is tough for that money...and probably too close to what you are leaving. I would stay away from Daytona...seedy. I would stay away from Vero Beach etc...too old and not great scenes.

Orlando is nowhere near the water...so that's out...plus the traffic, and the heat/humidity without being coastal sucks. The panhandle would put you to sleep in 1 second.

Thus, I would recommend the Tampa Bay area. Good sports, lots to do, great beaches, you can get an apartment for the money you want to spend, and you should be fine with the job market.

Good luck!

Old 02-06-2008, 06:33 AM

32 posts, read 238,826 times
Im 25 and live in St. Pete and have lived in Gainesville. I love Gainesville but I was there for undergrad so I don't know what it would be like to live there and not be a part of the University. It has a nice little downtown but there is alot of homeless people. St. Pete is nice, the downtown is awesome and the beaches and great. I wouldnt say there is a huge young professional crowd - there is more in south tampa but then you are farther from the beaches. I actually like Orlando - there are alot of young people and the downtown is always hussling and bussling when I am visiting - especially around Lake Eola. Daytona is pretty gross. I work in Sarasota and its pretty much devoid of young professionals - it does have a nice downtown though and Siesta Village is filled with young people on the weekends.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:42 AM

541 posts, read 2,285,731 times
Hey, a 26 year old here, residing in Jacksonville currently. I too lived in upstate NY for a few years. If you have to live in cold....it might as well snow all the time....that is why I like upstate NY...snow everynight basically.

Yeah, I would second LewLew that Jacksonville is not a good place to enjoy the young years. And I said recently in a post on the Jacksonville forum that a friend of mine just recently took a 15 day tour of the biggest cities in Florida. He went to Tallahassee, Tampa, St. Pete, Orlando, Gainseville, West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale, Naples, and Miami. He is 23. He said that of all the places he went to St. Pete was the nicest. And if he had to move anywhere from St. Augustine, it would be St. Pete.

Personally, I am a big fan of Miami. I like the diversity there....and the 24hour Nicaraguan restaurant I found there. But, of course crime, density, and cost make it more of a challenge to live in Miami. So, maybe St. Pete/Tampa is a nice compromise. LewLew is trying to get me to transfer there from Jax too!

Also, what about NYC? You will forget about the weather and the beaches when you have so much going on in NYC. Upstate NY snowboarding will not be too far away (3 hours) and you are then at the cultural, financial, media, and ethnic diversity capital of the world. You can find 1 br apts for less than 1300 in Bayonne and Jersey City, Nj and have 24 hour train access to NYC. Also, you could find places in Brooklyn and Queens for that much and also still have 24 hour access to Manhattan.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:43 AM

541 posts, read 2,285,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagator View Post
Im 25 and live in St. Pete and have lived in Gainesville. I love Gainesville but I was there for undergrad so I don't know what it would be like to live there and not be a part of the University. It has a nice little downtown but there is alot of homeless people. St. Pete is nice, the downtown is awesome and the beaches and great. I wouldnt say there is a huge young professional crowd - there is more in south tampa but then you are farther from the beaches. I actually like Orlando - there are alot of young people and the downtown is always hussling and bussling when I am visiting - especially around Lake Eola. Daytona is pretty gross. I work in Sarasota and its pretty much devoid of young professionals - it does have a nice downtown though and Siesta Village is filled with young people on the weekends.
Where are the best places in South Tampa for young professionals?

Old 02-06-2008, 07:06 AM

367 posts, read 1,687,163 times
It's not true that you wont find an apt for $1300 one bed near to the beaches. Depends on whether you want to be on them or not. I rent out a townhome (which I am not renting just now, so please don't cut this) for $1200 a month, it's across the street from the beach at Indian Shores. It has 2 beds and 2.5 baths. I am certain that it's possible to find one at $1300. Anyway, I'd recommend nearer to downtown St Pete, particularly if music is an interest, that is where the culture is. By the way I am not 60+ but getting up there in years, but I am not dead yet!
I like to go to concerts, the cinema, watch sport, see galleries, even go to the odd girls night out at a disco.
St Pete has smaller homes in nice areas that are available for the $1300 price range too I am sure. You just have to look or find someone to help you.
By the way, the Belleview Biltmore is undergoing a squillion dollar makeover in Belleair, also in Pinellas county and that would be a great place to start looking for a job.
Music teachers, not sure about, but there is always a need for teachers in English here.

Good luck, hope you can get a chance to visit Pinellas county.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:32 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
Where are the best places in South Tampa for young professionals?
I would go on the Tampa Board and post this question....you'll get the best answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida