Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:57 AM

37 posts, read 128,369 times

Advertisements

Hello :-)

I am more than ready to leave WI and it's cold nasty winters!!!

I have two small boys (they are bi-racial - you may laught; but that's important to know in some areas - unfortuantely)

I would love to relocate to Florida...I have been looking at Northern Florida; the Fort Walton Beach area.

I don't want to live anywhere too big or too small - approx 75k people - would be great! I am currently in the insurance industry (i do it all except sell) and my boys are 8 and 9. I am looking for affordable housing, good schools and cultural diversity.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions; I will welcome and appreciate all - thanks soooo much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 01:40 PM

5 posts, read 22,632 times
I love it here!! There is no better place to live!! I moved to Daytona Beach, actually the Pot Orange area with my family as a teen. I attended Seabreeze high school in 1973 as a young girl straight out of New York. Wow!! What a change.
Been here ever since. Winters are great!! Beautiful here today in the 80's!!! Home prices have come down, a great buyer's market!!
Schools are A+ - both my kids graduated from Spruce Creek High School.
Come on down and see what the area has to offer.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:02 PM

601 posts, read 1,904,164 times
I live in Ft Walton beach area (Niceville to be exact.) Great area for raising children. Okaloosa County has some of the best rated schools in the state.
Moderator cut: Advertising or soliciting is not permitted on City Data forumsThe job market is much better here in this area due to Eglin AFB influence....Also due to have an influx of military soon due to the Base realignment that will occur soon. Means more money for the local economy.....more jobs, etc. When I was a little girl we immigrated from Germany to Janesville, Wis. (my first American home)

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-05-2008 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 02-05-2008, 02:23 PM

548 posts, read 540,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janis Gagliardi View Post
I love it here!! There is no better place to live!! I moved to Daytona Beach, actually the Pot Orange area with my family as a teen. I attended Seabreeze high school in 1973 as a young girl straight out of New York. Wow!! What a change.
Been here ever since. Winters are great!! Beautiful here today in the 80's!!! Home prices have come down, a great buyer's market!!
Schools are A+ - both my kids graduated from Spruce Creek High School.
Come on down and see what the area has to offer.
Okay...once again, the problem with realtors. They don't listen to what a person wants and instead pound you with what they want to peddle.

She said Ft. Walton area. She said culturally diverse. Pt. Orange is not anywhere near Ft. Walton. And I will post the city data racial mix....you tell me if 94% white is culturally diverse!

Races in Port Orange:
  • White Non-Hispanic (93.7%)
  • Hispanic (2.5%)
  • Black (1.6%)
  • Two or more races (0.9%)
  • American Indian (0.6%)
  • Other race (0.5%)

Old 02-05-2008, 09:51 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
I'm affraid the diversity issue may be harder to achieve in the smaller towns. Orlando doesn't meet your size goals but would do alright on the other fronts. The coast won't meet the diverse issues except possibly Cocoa Beach and that would not be among my choices. Tampa is diverse but again not the size. Lakeland is nice but probably wont hit either criteria. I don't consider the towns surrounding Orlando as separate from Orlando so I'm avoiding those. I'm thinking one or the other goals may need to be adjusted. I think Tampa/St Pete, Orlando or Miami will be the closest for diversity.
Good luck.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:09 PM

440 posts, read 2,426,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
Okay...once again, the problem with realtors. They don't listen to what a person wants and instead pound you with what they want to peddle.

She said Ft. Walton area. She said culturally diverse. Pt. Orange is not anywhere near Ft. Walton. And I will post the city data racial mix....you tell me if 94% white is culturally diverse!

Races in Port Orange:
  • White Non-Hispanic (93.7%)
  • Hispanic (2.5%)
  • Black (1.6%)
  • Two or more races (0.9%)
  • American Indian (0.6%)
  • Other race (0.5%)

We agree with you that obviously this person did not read or chose to ignore the posters details. However, please don't lump all Realtors in the same category.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:18 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Why is "diversity" important in deciding where to move to? Usually the "diverse" areas have higher crime, unaffordable housing and a lower quality of life. Some diversity exists nationwide.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:50 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
QUOTE: I don't want to live anywhere too big or too small - approx 75k people - would be great! I am currently in the insurance industry (i do it all except sell) and my boys are 8 and 9. I am looking for affordable housing, good schools and cultural diversity.QUOTE

Lakeland has all this - population about 100,000, beautiful, clean, affordable, family oriented and we DO have cultural diversity especially within the city limits. It actually surprised me how diverse it is here, no one ever expects it to be. You should check it out, I think you would love it, we certainly do.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:59 AM

367 posts, read 1,687,604 times
I think gypsychic is right about Lakeland. Sadly much of Florida carries a population that are not racially aware. My son goes to a school in Seminole and daughter in St Pete - both larger almost metropolitan areas,but it has a small town feel I think. St Pete has a greater diversity in the student body, but Seminole, though predominantly white is very friendly to all students I think - my son and daughter number several African American students amongst their friends. We have friends from England who moved here and their children attend Seminole schools, with bi-racial children and they like it here and are very happy.

Sadly the world is not totally colour blind still, but it's getting better

Old 02-06-2008, 07:20 AM

37 posts, read 128,369 times
Thank you, thank you for all of your advice and suggestions!!

As for the 'culturally diverse' aspect - my biggest thing is; I don't want to be in an area that is extremely racist - I was/am looking at some areas on South Carolina and was told to beware! I want the move to be as easy and comfortable for my boys as can be. They are in a mainly white/asian school right now; my children are the minority here as well; but they are not aware of it, if that makes sense. The school has many Mexican migrant workers, three students from Russia, many Asian children, and a handful of bi-racial children.

I am open to all suggestions in Florida, and I wouldn't mind living in a smaller city next to a larger one like Orlando. I have been to Orlando many many times; actually stayed in Davenport and loved it - just need to find the right city - thanks and keep the suggestions coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida