Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 07:41 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,898,550 times

Advertisements

Two separate motorcycle accidents in the Upper Keys over the weekend injured 3 - fortunately, although there were serious injuries, no fatalities resulted. Both cases were likely caused by speeding and/or inattention.
Three injured in two separate motorcycle crashes in the Upper Keys | News | KeysNet

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 09:28 AM

4 posts, read 5,604 times
I would be in favor of a light rail to relieve some of the traffic and speeding on US1. I am not in favor of a toll to use the stretch because I (like other Keys residents) travel to work in Homestead daily and then back to the keys in the afternoon.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiligrl View Post
I would be in favor of a light rail to relieve some of the traffic and speeding on US1. I am not in favor of a toll to use the stretch because I (like other Keys residents) travel to work in Homestead daily and then back to the keys in the afternoon.
The toll would not apply to Monroe County residents. For example, Key Biscayne has a toll, but it only applies to non-residents. There is no reason whatsoever to charge residents - the point of the toll is to discourage incoming tourist traffic and cars that will need parking spots once in (especially in Key West). It's to protect residents, not further hurt them.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:47 PM

Just a reminder to be careful out there. Multiple people have died since I last posted to this thread. And today, yet another fatality.

Georgia man dies in head-on crash Monday in the Lower Keys | News | KeysNet

Old 05-30-2016, 10:43 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Just a reminder to be careful out there. Multiple people have died since I last posted to this thread. And today, yet another fatality.

Georgia man dies in head-on crash Monday in the Lower Keys | News | KeysNet
And, again, it looks like the Keys resident was in the wrong lane when the head-on took place. Georgia resident vs. Peterbilt does not turn out well for the visitor.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
And, again, it looks like the Keys resident was in the wrong lane when the head-on took place. Georgia resident vs. Peterbilt does not turn out well for the visitor.

If you follow these every single week, you would see that the people at fault vary - just like with any car accidents. Sometimes it's locals, many times it's people from out of town - it just depends on who's on the road. In the Keys we have a lot of both - visitors, and residents. But people drifting into the other lane and causing head-on collisions that lead to fatalities is a very common theme among all of them. It doesn't matter who is at fault in this particular instance and where they live, in the larger picture - what matters is that it keeps happening, over and over again. People need to be aware that the Overseas Highway is dangerous, and to take necessary precautions when driving it. There are a lot of distractions, a lot of drunk and sleepy drivers late at night, and a LOT of people speeding way over the limit at every time of day.

I hope people will take this to heart when coming down, and follow the laws and pay attention. And where possible, consider leaving the car at home and taking cabs/shuttles/the local bus instead.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:01 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,636,107 times
So a cab is supposed to be safer?

Old 05-31-2016, 01:34 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
If you follow these every single week, you would see that the people at fault vary - just like with any car accidents. Sometimes it's locals, many times it's people from out of town - it just depends on who's on the road. In the Keys we have a lot of both - visitors, and residents. But people drifting into the other lane and causing head-on collisions that lead to fatalities is a very common theme among all of them. It doesn't matter who is at fault in this particular instance and where they live, in the larger picture - what matters is that it keeps happening, over and over again. People need to be aware that the Overseas Highway is dangerous, and to take necessary precautions when driving it. There are a lot of distractions, a lot of drunk and sleepy drivers late at night, and a LOT of people speeding way over the limit at every time of day.

I hope people will take this to heart when coming down, and follow the laws and pay attention. And where possible, consider leaving the car at home and taking cabs/shuttles/the local bus instead.
Without going back to look at specifics, many posts similar to the one I responded to seem to imply that the visitors need to exercise more care when the two incidents I remember referencing were apparently caused by locals.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:55 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
We just arrived in Tampa yesterday and drove down to the Everglades. Planning to drive to Key West on Tuesday -- wish me luck.

The traffic from Tampa to Naples was HORRENDOUS. So many speeders and tailgaters! We were going ten miles over the speed limit and had to drive in the far right lane on a three lane highway because everyone was passing us when we were in the middle lane. And the crazies that were changing lanes even if there wasn't really enough room to do so. And how hard is it to use a turn signal?

Even on the Tamiami Trail, if we weren't going at least ten miles over the speed limit we were tailgated. And what's with the guys on their ATV's driving down the shoulder for miles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida