Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,580 times

Advertisements

Greetings. My wife was born and raised in the keys and I am from Humboldt county in Northern CA. I am currently living in my own condo in Branson, MO. I miss the communal living that I enjoyed in Trinidad, CA. I am a sixties child with brothers that were flower children and hippies and am looking for a communal living space anywhere in the keys of Florida. I want to sell my condo in MO and find an affordable Hippy commune in the Fl keys. We are prepared to share living and kitchen space. We would like to have approximately 700 sq ft for our living space. We can share all the rest of space with herb friendly and like minded people. We can afford about $650 per month rent. Please DM me at jeffrey357.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 08:23 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,895,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey357 View Post
Greetings. My wife was born and raised in the keys and I am from Humboldt county in Northern CA. I am currently living in my own condo in Branson, MO. I miss the communal living that I enjoyed in Trinidad, CA. I am a sixties child with brothers that were flower children and hippies and am looking for a communal living space anywhere in the keys of Florida. I want to sell my condo in MO and find an affordable Hippy commune in the Fl keys. We are prepared to share living and kitchen space. We would like to have approximately 700 sq ft for our living space. We can share all the rest of space with herb friendly and like minded people. We can afford about $650 per month rent. Please DM me at jeffrey357.

Sorry, man, but this is not the 60s. The Keys are nothing like they were back then - have you visited recently? To my knowledge there is not a single commune throughout the Keys. Rent prices are extreme, and Capitalism and its friend Tourist Economy are the pervading culture.

The last known commune in the Keys was just off Key West in the 60s-1970 - it was raided by the Feds and shut down after a lot of flaunting the law which upset other residents and angered law enforcement, and eventually a murder occurred which led to the raid.

However, you will find others who want to live a life full of drugs and drink to share in a house, simply to be able to afford the rent - especially in Key West. There are plenty of party houses there, with 6-10 people all living together. But it's not going to be a commune, there's no land to work, or useful communal work to really do on the property. Just working 3 no-skill tourist industry jobs simultaneously to try to keep up with each person's share of the rent...

Hippy values are not really present anymore in the Keys, and where they exist the local property values and law enforcement pretty much stamp it out. There are probably far better places to find that, like Northern/Central California, or Hawaii. You can still join a kibbutz in Israel, also. Be careful though, a lot of today's communes are less about love and fellowship, and more about cult religions which financially benefit the leader. They had that in the 60s of course, but now it is even more so because nomad and off-grid living is made so difficult by US laws, those few that are determined enough to live that way are more vulnerable and usually more disconnected from support systems, and those who establish the commune tend to be more powerful and ego-maniacal than in decades past.

Sorry, but the 60s are dead - especially down here. The US has instead embraced the Kardashian/Louis Vitton/materialism culture, and made commune life extremely difficult to achieve and maintain without law enforcement breaking it up due to drugs, building code violations, human trafficking, etc. And that is especially true in the Keys - building code violations are a major source of county revenue and they are always on the lookout for infractions. Neighbors concerned about maintaining their high property values are also likely to call on you for any perceived problem of drugs, too many people per house, or other issues.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:19 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
It's interesting that you mention this. About 15 years ago I moved back to San Francisco because the Bush/Cheney Reign of Terror folks were invading some tin pot country somewhere or other (rule number one of a bully: never pick a fight w/ someone that can actually fight back). I wanted to be at ground zero for the protests, only to be met by the reality of the New Peace Movement. You needed a computer to get the emails for where the protests would be, and they were full of ads selling their hats, T-shirts, etc. They were just another bunch of capitalists making a buck off the war. Boy, times had changed.

Another vote for Hawaii, and you might need to expand your rent expectations. It's a brave new world out there these days. I'm an old hippie type too, and things have changed. A lot. Ten years ago you would have had no problems most places, but the housing costs have skyrocketed, especially in Hawaii, even on the Hilo side of the Big Island.

You might also do some duckduckgoing for intentional communities. Trouble is, at your rent price point, you're looking at less desirable cities to live in, which also tend to be more conservative. You might find something in Puna on the Big Island, but some of these intentional communities are way out in the boonies, and you may or may not click w/ the folks. It's not that easy to get along w/ people in these types of situations. They often revert to a strong leader guy (it's generally always a guy), and power tripping can be an issue. Or, everything will be decided on by consensus, meaning that nothing ever gets done. Things tend to be micro specialized too. Some folks are raw food eaters only, some may be vegans only, some may be some sort of Volcano Goddess types. It really varies, and the classifications tend to be pretty fixed.

We manage to live in St Pete, which is a sorta liberal city (it's still Florida) cheaply by being over 55 and living in a mobile home in an age restricted 55+ park for under $300 a month. The home was just $10,000. The folks in the park are hardly my contemporaries, but that's OK, we make friends w/ other old and young hippie types outside of the park. They're still around. A little bit, anyway.

But if you really want what you say you want, Puna may be OK. Hawaii is a tough culture to become acclimated to though. Ck out other intentional communities online, you just might find something. Oh, and far out, cool, and right on. I still say all that. The 60's may be gone, but I'm not :]

Here's a few communities over there. There's more for sure if you look around. Make sure you show up w/ enough funds to get back to the mainland if things go poof, and you really need to have a Plan B, C, D, etc for what to do if you do have to move back. It's expensive to go there, and expensive to leave. And remember, "intentional community" is sometimes newspeak for cult, or it's simply a highly disguised capitalist enterprise w/ all manner of trendy push button High Consciousness words, but w/ a definite top and bottom. Guess who will be on the bottom.

https://www.hawaiiecoliving.com/inte...mmunity-guide/

Last edited by smarino; 01-06-2016 at 01:55 PM..

Old 01-07-2016, 05:56 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Sell your condo, by an RV, go live wherever you want. Went you get tired of that place, gas her up and move to another.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:14 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey357 View Post
You may be able to find some communal living in the rural areas of Northern Florida, near Gainesville perhaps. There is a Hare Krishna community in High Springs area, not sure if that is your thing but its a communal setting.

Its surprising what you can find in "red" or conservative rural regions, my great-Grandparents lived in a commune near Leesville, Louisiana in the 1920s

Last edited by jwolfer; 01-07-2016 at 08:30 AM..

Old 01-07-2016, 10:49 AM

814 posts, read 2,042,667 times
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Long-...65168390193064

long hair hippie ranch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida