Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "mindscape" is New Florida most like?
Wild West 2 2.41%
Heartland 2 2.41%
Dixie 13 15.66%
Yankeedom 11 13.25%
Cuba 0 0%
Meh, it's just Florida 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 07:33 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,421,112 times

Advertisements

Native here, Florida is southern but full of a whole bunch of transplants. Go to any NON retirement area OUTSIDE of the major Cities and youll quickly see that this is a southern State.

Side note its always been funny to me that Tallahassee is our Capital. Ive always thought it should be in Jacksonville or Orlando.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:50 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Native here, Florida is southern but full of a whole bunch of transplants. Go to any NON retirement area OUTSIDE of the major Cities and youll quickly see that this is a southern State.

Side note its always been funny to me that Tallahassee is our Capital. Ive always thought it should be in Jacksonville or Orlando.
Small towns define a state??? Cities are the epicenter of a states culture. And the florida peninsula doesn't have many small towns anyway.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:51 AM

The poll speaks for itself. I'm done here.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:16 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,421,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Small towns define a state??? Cities are the epicenter of a states culture. And the florida peninsula doesn't have many small towns anyway.
Yes small towns define a State, are you kidding? The accumulation of the small towns defines a culture. Large Cities in EVERY State are always a peculiarity because people move there for jobs, are transferred, are attracted by Universities etc. Most large Cities have the same generic urban culture. It is in the heartland that you find a culture. Go to the Bayous of Louisiana, or the small towns of Cape Cod, the mountains of North Carolina, or the small towns of New York, THAT is where the culture is.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Yes small towns define a State, are you kidding? The accumulation of the small towns defines a culture. Large Cities in EVERY State are always a peculiarity because people move there for jobs, are transferred, are attracted by Universities etc. Most large Cities have the same generic urban culture. It is in the heartland that you find a culture. Go to the Bayous of Louisiana, or the small towns of Cape Cod, the mountains of North Carolina, or the small towns of New York, THAT is where the culture is.
That is where poverty, no jobs, drug abuse, and depression is found today. I would never go to a small town to see culture. You will see the worst side of it.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:55 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,445,270 times
Quote:
The peninsula is RIDDLED with small towns. You think every town and city there is like Tampa, Miami, Fort Lauderdale size? Hell, Naples is technically a small town. Only got bout 20,500 people. Granted it's tourism puts it more on the map, but still. Small towns don't define a state, but they do show more of the state's culture without outside influence. Obviously you don't get out the highway much if you think the peninsula don't got small towns LOL The town where a lot of my mom's side of the family lives is of 1200 people and it's not on the Panhandle. (Though to be fair, it is pretty close)

Old 02-06-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
The peninsula is RIDDLED with small towns. You think every town and city there is like Tampa, Miami, Fort Lauderdale size? Hell, Naples is technically a small town. Only got bout 20,500 people. Granted it's tourism puts it more on the map, but still. Small towns don't define a state, but they do show more of the state's culture without outside influence. Obviously you don't get out the highway much if you think the peninsula don't got small towns LOL The town where a lot of my mom's side of the family lives is of 1200 people and it's not on the Panhandle. (Though to be fair, it is pretty close)
You just won't drop this, will you? You have revived this thread twice now after it died. I wonder what motive you must have.

Naples isnt a small town. It is a small city. Collier county has 350,000 people. City boundaries mean nothing. And no, the peninsula doesn't have many small towns.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:51 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,327,063 times
Quote:
You just won't drop this, will you? You have revived this thread twice now after it died. I wonder what motive you must have.

Naples isnt a small town. It is a small city. Collier county has 350,000 people. City boundaries mean nothing. And no, the peninsula doesn't have many small towns.
??? The peninsula has far more small towns than large metros.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:53 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,445,270 times
Quote:

What's a small town to you? A small city is where I live now, Denton. I've also lived in Abilene and San Angelo, all small cities. San Angelo is shy of 100,000 and even IT feels a bit like a small town. Naples feels tiny. Downtown Naples is dead at night in the middle of summer. Not unlike most small towns. Downtown Naples feels small. It's not a podunk town, it's not hayseed, but it's small. Hell, high school football is kinda big there (at least according to my cousin, who goes to high school there) and that's one of the defining qualities of small town life. But I digress. Continue with your disdain for small town America and the south. I'm sure you'll find the Spanglish ghettos of Hialeah or hanging out with panhandling bums in downtown Miami, so much more cosmopolitan.

Pretty much every town away from the coast on the peninsula, besides Gainesville and Orlando, are small towns. The middle of the peninsula is not just a giant swamp. There ARE towns in them. Dude, get around your state. Go off-roading and see stuff outside the brochures. Your image of Florida is very touristy "The beach and Disney!"

Old 02-11-2016, 02:35 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,907,466 times
There are tons of small towns in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida