Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "mindscape" is New Florida most like?
Wild West 2 2.41%
Heartland 2 2.41%
Dixie 13 15.66%
Yankeedom 11 13.25%
Cuba 0 0%
Meh, it's just Florida 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 08:57 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times

Advertisements

Florida culturally is NOT the South, Regionally it is. Florida is more like California-Oregon in culture that it is like Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi. Florida is nothing like the rest of the south.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:24 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
... To be fair, as much as I love FL, there is a fairly high rate of violent crime in the whole state. It's not particularly confined to one city, like LA in Cali...
Yes all 4 of the main metros have crime issues. Im not sure which is worse though. Miami, Orlando or Jacksonville.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:32 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Florida culturally is NOT the South, Regionally it is. Florida is more like California-Oregon in culture that it is like Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi. Florida is nothing like the rest of the south.

You need to explore Florida a bit more. Florida is the South with lots of transplants from other regions of the US and other countries. Northern Florida is very Southern and parts of Central and South Florida especially away from the coasts. Until Dinsey came along Orlando was very Deep South.

Now here comes the North Florida might as well be Alabama or Georiga. NO, IT IS FLORIDA but similar culturally to the rest of the South.

What Florida has even in the heart of Southeast FL is a substrate of "The South" with lots of layers on top.

An analogy would be the English Language... it it a Germanic language but though invasions and military conquests and migration it has taken on a heavy dose of Latin via French and directly from Latin. And with the British and American Empires it has taken on lots of other vocabulary So it does not sound Germanic any longer. But it does not change the fact it is Germanic in origin.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:45 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
Florida is layered on top of an American culture, not a "southern" culture. And regions and areas do change over time. Florida's panhandle was vastly unpopulated even just a century ago. Sorry, but it isn't layered on top of "Southern". It was up for grabs and the North and Carribean got it. By your same measure Florida could still be called Carribean, or "Spanish" because Spain owned it and colonized it before the south did.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Florida is layered on top of an American culture, not a "southern" culture. And regions and areas do change over time. Florida's panhandle was vastly unpopulated even just a century ago. Sorry, but it isn't layered on top of "Southern". It was up for grabs and the North and Carribean got it. By your same measure Florida could still be called Carribean, or "Spanish" because Spain owned it and colonized it before the south did.
Floridas peninsula I mean. Typo. But the panhandle wasn't very populated either for that matter. The peninsula had hardly anyone at all.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:07 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
You obviously didn't get out enough, Orlando is not the deep south

I've been to every part of Florida except the coastal Panhandle (with the exception of Pensacola), the immediate Okeechobee area and the lower keys. I've been around Florida plenty.

Please tell me where I said Orlando was the deep south? I didn't even say Orlando, I was referring to the towns west of Orlando. Ocoee, Lady Lake, that area.. I heard southern accents all abound. Saw people with confederate flag stickers. Wasn't the deep south, either. When I think the deep south, I think more along the lines of Mississippi. It wasn't poor or rundown like Mississippi or Louisiana. You want deep south, go to Monroe, Louisiana. But, it was the south. Middle class, southern drawl type of south. Think Charlotte or Raleigh I guess.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Okay now go back to Texas, BYE!! And shame on whoever flies that symbol of slavery and betrayal. As the southerners dwindle more and more they scream that flag louder and louder.

And everyone in ocoee and up has Southern accents? That's funny! That a western suburb of Orlando, saturated to the brim with NORTHERN transplants, and EVERYONE has a southern accent. Funny, considering not even everyone I met in Texas had a southern accent. Get a life, seriously.
I went to a Chick-Fil-A, everyone had a southern accent. Was a bank in Lake County, this old lady came in with such a strong drawl. Didn't hear a New Yawk accent or a nasal Midwestern one. So what if a place has northern transplants? That's what defines the modern south nowadays lol. But central Florida, unlike southeast Florida, doesn't seem so overrun with transplants. And what of transplants? Do transplants not have children? Are those children not raised in the South? I know so many Texans with Midwestern parents or grandparents who have southern drawls and no Midwestern qualities. Children have more to do with where THEY'RE from, than where their parents are from. Hell, a high school teacher of mine was born in Chicago but came to Florida as a child and got a southern accent as a result. (This was way back in the 60s or so when he came)

Lol you're so defensive "Now back to Texas, BYE!" FYI, I do not support the rebel flag. I think it is a **** poor representation of the region and is nothing more of nostalgia for a negative time period. But your disdain for your southern neighbours is absolutely ridiculous. Florida has always been, and will always be, a southern state. Y'all are below Georgia and Alabama, there's no changing that. Florida is more culturally in the south than Virginia is, and Virginia was the hub of the confederacy. Virginia's scenery can at least blend in with the north, nothing of Florida blends in scenery wise, and culture wise, it's only pockets along the coast. The bulk of the state is the south, it's just a growing state. North Carolina's not that different, neither is Texas.

Sorry, states like Virginia, Maryland, Delaware can claim to no longer be southern, but Florida never can. Even demographically, just can't. Too much of an influence from its neighbours.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post

California? To an extent, around Miami (image obsessed, superficial, palm trees, beaches) but Oregon? What? What does uber liberal, chilly, hipstery and rainy Oregon have in common with Florida? Where in Florida is similar to Portland? Miami is the antithesis of the Pacific Northwest. And northern Florida is as well, but for different reasons. Oregon couldn't be more different from Florida.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:01 AM

Badger films is a child who just wants to revive this thread every so often to annoy people. It's pretty obvious he is just doing this to annoy us.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:08 AM

I just report him. You can't barge into another states forum all the time to annoy the posters there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida