Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "mindscape" is New Florida most like?
Wild West 2 2.41%
Heartland 2 2.41%
Dixie 13 15.66%
Yankeedom 11 13.25%
Cuba 0 0%
Meh, it's just Florida 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 07:19 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
According to this, the highest migration from Southern states is indeed Georgia.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...n.html#Florida

He is correct in that there are more people moving there from the NE and Midwest (recently), but his assertion that there are "very, very few" people moving to Florida from other states in the South is false. There's quite a bit if this information is correct.
I was just about to post that link, wvtraveler!

Happiness-is-close is ***MOD CUT*** in major denial and beyond wishful thinking.

The amount of interaction and people actually moving between Georgia and Florida in both directions is huge!

As of the last report I saw, more people move to Metro Atlanta from South Florida than anywhere else, followed by Metro NYC and Metro Chicago.

His warped view of Florida and it's neighboring Southern States will continue to be challenged.

Last edited by doggiebus; 05-31-2016 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Personal Attacks Not Allowed

Old 05-20-2016, 07:31 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times
I know people now in Atlanta and most are from FL.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:04 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
According to this, the highest migration from Southern states is indeed Georgia.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...n.html#Florida

He is correct in that there are more people moving there from the NE and Midwest (recently), but his assertion that there are "very, very few" people moving to Florida from other states in the South is false. There's quite a bit if this information is correct.
I like that database. I commonly refer to it to show how Southern Georgia still is because the bulk of their transplants come from the South.

But when reading this data, you have to remember the question it asks. It refers to the percent of a states population that was born in another state. It doesn't refer to migration trends. So when it says 2% of Florida's population was born in GA, it doesn't mean 2% of present day migrants are coming from GA. It is obvious in that graph that the percent of people living in Florida who were born in Georiga, and indeed all of the South, are diminishing. This is because they are insignificant in migrants for many decades and those that came half a century ago are passing away. Their percent started to shrink in the 1920s you can see with the invention of A/C and northern migrants became the majority.

I'm still surprised Virginia isn't higher on the database though. Most Southerners I come across in Florida are from Virginia.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Yes, and that graph was from nearly two decades ago. I wonder what the colors would show today. Many counties in Florida's heartland are probably majority catholic now.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I like that database. I commonly refer to it to show how Southern Georgia still is because the bulk of their transplants come from the South.

But when reading this data, you have to remember the question it asks. It refers to the percent of a states population that was born in another state. It doesn't refer to migration trends. So when it says 2% of Florida's population was born in GA, it doesn't mean 2% of present day migrants are coming from GA. It is obvious in that graph that the percent of people living in Florida who were born in Georiga, and indeed all of the South, are diminishing. This is because they are insignificant in migrants for many decades and those that came half a century ago are passing away. Their percent started to shrink in the 1920s you can see with the invention of A/C and northern migrants became the majority.

I'm still surprised Virginia isn't higher on the database though. Most Southerners I come across in Florida are from Virginia.
Fla is not a popular destination from people from Ga, NC and SC..TN, etc. We Floridians move up there, not the other way around. The ppl u meet from Va are more than likely from Northern VA.

I lived in NC for yrs. I met more ppl in NC from FL than anywhere else, by far. I've met more ppl in NC that are from FL than ppl in FL that are from FL!

FLA is just meh...it's where ppl come to get away from snow. It's where ppl from dumpy areas and criminal records come to start over... It's a sock that catches scum at the bottom of the retention pond. The people overall are the worst in the south, a mix of too many idiots, many with no direction. See the news that came out of Ft Myers this am? It's national news. The crazy thing is, I can read s crazy story and I automatically assume it's out of FL. And so often, I am right. It's an embarrassment and honestly most people think of FL as a joke. But they'll move here and contribute greatly to our state bc it doesn't snow

Old 05-21-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Yes, and that graph was from nearly two decades ago. I wonder what the colors would show today. Many counties in Florida's heartland are probably majority catholic now.

Hahaha, very doubtful. What is it with you and Catholics? What is it with you and Southerners?

Old 05-21-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Fla is not a popular destination from people from Ga, NC and SC..TN, etc. We Floridians move up there, not the other way around. The ppl u meet from Va are more than likely from Northern VA.

I lived in NC for yrs. I met more ppl in NC from FL than anywhere else, by far. I've met more ppl in NC that are from FL than ppl in FL that are from FL!

FLA is just meh...it's where ppl come to get away from snow. It's where ppl from dumpy areas and criminal records come to start over... It's a sock that catches scum at the bottom of the retention pond. The people overall are the worst in the south, a mix of too many idiots, many with no direction. See the news that came out of Ft Myers this am? It's national news. The crazy thing is, I can read s crazy story and I automatically assume it's out of FL. And so often, I am right. It's an embarrassment and honestly most people think of FL as a joke. But they'll move here and contribute greatly to our state bc it doesn't snow
I think it would be a fantastic idea if you left!! You are clearly not happy here.

Florida is the third most populous state in our nation. And given our states diversity and uniqueness, a lot of interesting stories are going to come out of it.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Hahaha, very doubtful. What is it with you and Catholics? What is it with you and Southerners?
Catholics (and Jewish) have been at the forefront of progress in this nation for a 150 years. Southerners cling to their archaic ways to this very day.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:43 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:

Woah... what????

Come on, now; I try to be neutral in these topics, but quite frankly, your post was over the top.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Catholics (and Jewish) have been at the forefront of progress in this nation for a 150 years. Southerners cling to their archaic ways to this very day.
How would you even know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida