Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "mindscape" is New Florida most like?
Wild West 2 2.41%
Heartland 2 2.41%
Dixie 13 15.66%
Yankeedom 11 13.25%
Cuba 0 0%
Meh, it's just Florida 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 06:58 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Florida abd Texas are both not Southern, and natives, particularly the Catholics, in both states will tell you so. Cuban isn't what comes to mind when I think of new englander, but they do have Southern European roots like Italians and Portugese. And catholic heritage like those groups and irish. Cubans are much more similar to new englanders than Southerners. They can pass I guess.
I hear Texans call themselves southerners all the time.

I never been to New England, though I'd love to go and maybe live there if it wasn't so expensive, I have no real connection there besides a cousin that lived in Boston for a year. The south is literally all I know of this country lol I know squat about living in Cuba.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
There is a lot more to being southern than an accent. And if your Arab in laws are Muslim they are 1000% not Southern.
You sound like a member of the Ku Klux Klan. Believe it or not, that viewpoint is considered outdated in the south.

"Only white anglo-saxon protestants can be one of us!"

Old 01-21-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Tampas cuban community does NOT consider itself Southern. If anything they pioneered Floridas own cultural niche. Tampa is practically my second home. I know that community very well.
My high school teacher who was born in probably the 1940s, talked about how Tampa's Cuban community was distinct from Miami's, in which Cubans have been since the time of Ybor City and contemporary Cuban-Americans from there, who have long roots, speak with a twang and speak little to no Spanish. You gonna argue with an old man who's been in Florida forever? lol

Old 01-21-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Exactly. That guy clearly doesn't know many southerners or what Southern is. He should go spend some time in Memphis and tell everyone he is one of them. Then he can see the weirded out stares.
Why would I get weird stares? Lol I get weirder looks if I tell them I'm Cuban. You know how many times I've heard "But you're so white!"?

Old 01-21-2016, 07:52 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
You sound like a member of the Ku Klux Klan. Believe it or not, that viewpoint is considered outdated in the south.

"Only white anglo-saxon protestants can be one of us!"
Not at all. The African American community is a massive piece of Southern culture. It's actually hard for me to see a place as fully southern without a large AA presence.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
My high school teacher who was born in probably the 1940s, talked about how Tampa's Cuban community was distinct from Miami's, in which Cubans have been since the time of Ybor City and contemporary Cuban-Americans from there, who have long roots, speak with a twang and speak little to no Spanish. You gonna argue with an old man who's been in Florida forever? lol
Doesn't sound like your teacher was saying he is "Southern". He is just saying Tampas cuban community has different roots than Miami's. Which is true, but those communities blur a lot more today because recent cuban immigrants are a large part of both communities.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Again, you have a narrow minded viewpoint which is very... early 20th century.

So in your viewpoint, Cuban Americans aren't even Americans lol neither are the Italians, only the old Dutch and English descendants can call themselves New Yorkers or New Englanders Gotcha.
You clearly aren't following me at all. I consider Italians and Irish and Portugese to be the epitome of New Englanders. I don't think of Dutch at all. Maybe English if we are talking about Maine.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Why would I get weird stares? Lol I get weirder looks if I tell them I'm Cuban. You know how many times I've heard "But you're so white!"?
Sure you have.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
You clearly aren't following me at all. I consider Italians and Irish and Portugese to be the epitome of New Englanders. I don't think of Dutch at all. Maybe English if we are talking about Maine.
The big wave of Dutch migration in the 19th century was largely farmers who settled in the Midwest, including a couple of my great-great-greats. Ask me where Dutch people live in America and I'm far more likely to think Iowa or western Michigan than New York.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:17 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Quote:
There is a lot more to being southern than an accent. And if your Arab in laws are Muslim they are 1000% not Southern.
You are an ignorant fool!

And no they are not Muslim for what it is worth, most of the Arabs in Jacksonville and the US as a whole are Christian. And yes there is more to being Southern than the accent and they are Southern. They may make tabbouleh but they also eat biscuits and gravy, grits, sweet tea is ubiquitous.

You don't have to have ancestors on the Mayflower to be a New Englander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida