Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "mindscape" is New Florida most like?
Wild West 2 2.41%
Heartland 2 2.41%
Dixie 13 15.66%
Yankeedom 11 13.25%
Cuba 0 0%
Meh, it's just Florida 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 03:45 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times

Advertisements

It's generally believed that large swaths of Florida are not part of the South, due to being dominated by populations without Southern roots and most people not even being born in the state. The majority of the peninsula is dominated by transplants and immigrants, and people from other Southern states are no more likely to move to Florida than people from the Midwest and Northeast are.

Politically Florida seems a lot like the West in the sense that it tends to be liberal in a conservative way meaning there's lots of multiculturalism, sex and drugs and it's all pretty tolerated but the people are big believers in "sink or swim" type capitalism and love guns. There's more of a frontier mentality compared to the comparatively settled in their ways former British colonies to the north of it.

It also seems like Florida and the Western states have more than their share of crazy people compared to other regions, maybe due to having less tight knit communities. After all if you hear about something wacky or violent happening in Florida you expect it to be a punchline. I think in peninsular Florida and out West there isn't much of a local culture due to the settlement being so recent so global pop culture and consumerism fills a lot of that gap.

Another Florida/West similarity is how many people speak similarly to actors on TV or valley girls, or have an accent that sounds very mildly Southern or Midlandish.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:04 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,228,266 times
No, Florida is still in the south. Even though the southern half is less culturally southern, the northern half is still very southern and connected to the rest of the south.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:20 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
Florida is Florida. It not similar to any other region. It is it's own cultural enclave in our vast country.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:43 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
No, Florida is still in the south. Even though the southern half is less culturally southern, the northern half is still very southern and connected to the rest of the south.
This nails it.

There are several Floridians here that will deny it all day long, but Florida's peninsula is VERY Southern away from the coast, to say nothing of the entire northern third of the State. It's a huge mixed bag, but very Southern still in many, many areas.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:52 PM

Florida isn't Southern in the least, yet here comes everyone not from Florida wanting to tell you what Florida is.

Peninsular Florida has been dominated by Northern transplants and international immigrants ever since the end of the 19th century to such a degree that the "Southerness" of the region is gone. And Hail Mary for it.

I wouldn't lump Florida with the west either. When I was in Colorado I found the people there to be similar politically, but they were not as spastic, party-going, or dramatic as Floridians tend to be (in my opinion, they were on the boring side. Denver's bars shut down before 1:30 AM!!).

We are more hospitable than northeasterners, but that is due to most of us having worked in the hospitality industry as some point in our lives. We aren't fake friendly like Southerners are though. While being hospitable, we have a bluntness to us that northerners tend to have.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Alabama or Georiga can have the panhandle. Florida doesn't want it. Of our states 20 million people only about a million live in the panhandle anyhow. The panhandle doesn't represent our state or what our state continues to change into.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:28 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,927 times
You should've had a sixth pool option that's "it's a combination of all of the above".

Old 01-05-2016, 07:50 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
I think geography needs to be taught a bit better in schools! I've heard it all now as someone is questioning whether FL is like the west. Um, can't get much more southern then FL and it is not hard to find "old south" culture many places in S. FL. Just gotta cross 95 now and then!

The south is a large area and isn't just BBQ, fried chicken, sweet tea, moss covered live oaks, blooming magnolias, plantations and country bars. Even if that was the case, well Florida's got it! South FL as well!

Old 01-05-2016, 08:09 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Florida doesn't have the silly fiscal liberalism or Nanny state laws like you might find in western states

Old 01-05-2016, 08:13 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Northern florida where I went to school is still very southern but it become very different further south in florida but it is still a very mixed region, every county and town is different.

I dont see the western comparison with transient cultures, california isnt anywhere as near as transient as florida. California has built its economy on alot of things but tech and silicon valley is a huge part of it, florida should be doing the same thing but it seems like guys like scott and jeb! and most florida governors just want to push rabid growth to pad their numbers, no matter how low paying the jobs all this retiree and tourist economy brings.

Florida could be one of the hipper places in america if we just get some new governors and politicians who want to build tech metros and creative class cities with higher wages, Florida has it all and could be a beacon for tech/stem jobs with the right leadership

the more interesting poll would be is virginia still red or "southern" in politics, I think Va. is the only state that has a chance to not be in the solid south, though it may go either way and will be close , trump will beat hillary in florida and the south

florida is like a ton of different states in one and especially further south , every county is different, every neighborhood is different , south florida has tons of people from every region and alot of different countries

jimmy buffet land would be a great country by itself , I could easily see florida being a cool caribbean type country by itself with the right leadership and less growth , who else grows mangoes and all these interesting citrus and fruits and trees , you can grow anything in florida, , plus what other state has gorgeous white beaches and caribbean aqua waters in america?

Last edited by floridanative10; 01-05-2016 at 08:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida