Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:54 PM

32 posts, read 67,816 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Erie, PA, but am looking to move - just not sure where yet. I run an online marketing company from my house, so work is not really an issue - I can do my job from anywhere. I am looking for a few things though. I have a one year old son, so the school system is a big issue. I am also looking for somewhere close to the city, but not right in the city. I will be looking to eventually buy a home, but renting is fine for the time being if it is easier. I have a dog, so that may be something to take into consideration as well. Since I have lived in a winter state for my entire life, I am looking to live somewhere warmer all year round - I have had enough of the snow. If anyone has any suggestions as to where a good place to raise my son would be, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 10:59 PM

100 posts, read 361,883 times
Brooksville, Fl and Lakeland, FL are two towns I'd look at in Florida if I was in your situation. If you are self employed and really like hot hot weather check out south florida but the school systems could leave a lot to be desired.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:10 PM

FloridaandOhio - do you live in Brooksville or Lakeland? I took a look at a Florida map and they seem to be on the Gulf side of the state, so I would think not too bad for hurricanes. How are the school systems? Is the weather really hot? I am not really looking for "hot hot" weather. How are the living conditions - crime, real estate, etc?

Old 08-28-2008, 04:39 AM

100 posts, read 361,883 times
I don't live in Brooksville or Lakeland. I have been to both a few times through the years. I have read on here from other posters that the schools are good in both places. As for the weather in both areas, it is Florida after all so in the summer it is gonna be hot and muggy but in the winter the weather will be nice during the day and cool at night for both areas. You can check realtor.com and search both places to get an idea of real estate. Crime is average for both towns' sizes. If you are under 35 and single you'd probably prefer Lakeland over Brooksville. Brooksville is a much smaller and slower paced town that in my opinion is perfect for a married couple with children.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:34 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,819,850 times
I would look in Sarasota county. It has Pine View School for the Gifted which was rated the number sixth school in the Nation by US News (http://www.usnews.com/listings/high-schools/florida/pine_view_school_for_gifted - broken link). Your son would need to be tested to see if he qualifies. It has grades 2nd-12th. My two older children go there and we love it.

In southern Sarasota county, North Port, you can pick up a pool home for around 150K and the average age is 38.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:09 AM

SoFLGal - I checked out Sarasota - looks like the cost of living is pretty high. It is just me and my one year old and moving is costly, so I am worried that maybe I may not be able to afford buying a home. What does the average monthly rent on a home cost around there? I do love that it has one of the best schools in the country, though! That is definitely a plus.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:29 PM

17,454 posts, read 38,838,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa3296 View Post
SoFLGal - I checked out Sarasota - looks like the cost of living is pretty high. It is just me and my one year old and moving is costly, so I am worried that maybe I may not be able to afford buying a home. What does the average monthly rent on a home cost around there? I do love that it has one of the best schools in the country, though! That is definitely a plus.
Melissa, I would recommend Lakeland - we live here now, and it is a beautiful, clean, family-oriented city with everything you need for a comfortable lifestyle. Being inland it is a little safer from hurricanes, (no storm surge and much higher elevation). Cost of living here is very reasonable and you will find your taxes and ins. to be lower than the coastal cities. I love Sarasota too (we own a vacation home there) but it will be more expensive overall if you are on a budget.

There are a lot of parks and recreational opportunities here that are cheap or free, and the city has a preserved, historic look to it. I think you would really like it.

Good luck.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:00 PM

561 posts, read 1,914,747 times
I agree with Gypsychic, Lakeland has great "Bang For Your Buck". Do a search for "Lakeland", on these forums and you will find much recent informative information.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:31 PM

Thanks! I have been searching around in other states too and have found that Florida schooling is pretty high up there. I was looking at SC but heard that it is one of the lowest ranked education states. I am definitely leaning towards Sarasota/Bradenton area maybe and now Lakeland.

If you could tell me a bit more about:

schools
what a mid range home sells for
are there major hospitals close by?
is the crime rate pretty low?
how is the nightlife/shopping/dining/things to do front?

any other info would be extremely helpful in helping to narrow down my search!

Old 08-28-2008, 08:51 PM

991 posts, read 4,605,726 times
I live in Spring Hill, I do prefer Wesley Chapel, it is nice and there are a good number of hospitals nearby. My friend's sister lives there and loves the schools before that she lived in SC and did not like the school system at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida