Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 08:29 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Pine pollen is what is baad here now. Even our cat is sneezing if we let her out on the screened patio. :-)
Actually Pine Pollen isn't that bad as it's not as airborne and much less an issue of breathing in since it typically falls straight down versus swirl around like the much smaller granules of Oak Pollen. The leading particulate in the air right now is Oak and the one that seems to set most everyone off because it's so easy to inhale.

https://www.pollen.com/forecast/current/pollen/32905
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk_buster View Post
Yes, I researched Cape Coral and got the feeling it's mostly for retirees. Huge problem for mosquitos and those no-see-um bugs, too. We are outdoorsy folks and can tolerate bugs OK, but I'd like to avoid an area specifically known for more bugs than what is average for Florida. Also one blogger mentioned they don't get much salty breeze in Cape Coral at least in the summer.
I would do some more research because you're getting some false information so far.

Cape Coral's average age is 42 and getting younger rapidly. "As of 2010, Cape Coral was the eleventh largest city in Florida by population. More than 60 percent of the population is between the ages of 15–64 and residents under 25 outnumber residents over 65. Southwest Florida's 18–24 age group is growing at a faster rate than the state of Florida and the United States."[17]

In terms of no breeze off of the water, Cape Coral is actually fairly breezy and well above average for Florida.

Wind Speed
Annual Average Wind Speed
Cape Coral, FL 16.42 mph
Florida 14.63 mph
U.S. 16.93 mph

Lastly with the bug issue I would rate your information a fail as well. Anywhere near the coast is going to have issue with no-see-ums, and unlike more stagnant interior areas Cape Coral won't have the mosquito problem as much versus interior areas with still water and less wind speed.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:18 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,959,252 times
Right now everything has a sheen of yellow from the pollen. I had read we have some
Of the highest pollen counts in the country right now. Also a budget of $1300 won't even get you a 2 bedroom apt in Naples (and not anywhere desireable in SWFL) the size home you need (or a standard 3/2) is gonna run you closer to $2400. Not near the the beach.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:54 AM

499 posts, read 586,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Right now everything has a sheen of yellow from the pollen. I had read we have some
Of the highest pollen counts in the country right now. Also a budget of $1300 won't even get you a 2 bedroom apt in Naples (and not anywhere desireable in SWFL) the size home you need (or a standard 3/2) is gonna run you closer to $2400. Not near the the beach.
Wow- $2400/month for a 3/2 is awfully high. I don't know much about Naples, but your post piqued my interest and I decided to look up 3/2's. Here are some that are cheaper - like 1395 to 1850/mo but again, I don't know the areas and they are 1200 - 1600 Sq/Ft which is pretty tight for a family of 6:

Home for Rent - 3419 Boca Ciega Dr # E2, Naples, FL 34112 - realtor.com®

Home for Rent - 107 Burnt Pine Dr, Naples, FL 34119 - realtor.com®

Home for Rent - 3561 24th Ave Ne, Naples, FL 34120 - realtor.com®

Home for Rent - 15092 Summit Place Cir, Naples, FL 34119 - realtor.com®

Old 03-12-2016, 01:03 PM

There are currently 36 Three Bedroom/Two Bath single family homes in the sub-$1300 a month bracket in Cape Coral. Plenty of options it would seem....Rental Listings - 36 Rentals | Zillow

Old 03-12-2016, 03:18 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,959,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
Wow- $2400/month for a 3/2 is awfully high. I don't know much about Naples, but your post piqued my interest and I decided to look up 3/2's. Here are some that are cheaper - like 1395 to 1850/mo but again, I don't know the areas and they are 1200 - 1600 Sq/Ft which is pretty tight for a family of 6:

Home for Rent - 3419 Boca Ciega Dr # E2, Naples, FL 34112 - realtor.com®

Home for Rent - 107 Burnt Pine Dr, Naples, FL 34119 - realtor.com®

Home for Rent - 3561 24th Ave Ne, Naples, FL 34120 - realtor.com®

Home for Rent - 15092 Summit Place Cir, Naples, FL 34119 - realtor.com®
None of those are even remotely close to the beach. Some are even in more rural areas that will take 30 mins or so to get into town in season. Others are in east Naples closer to the more higher crime areas. East Naples is much less desireable place to live than other options. Again either not near the beach or not near desireable areas. Summit place in particular is a higher crime area with an elevated calls for incidents. I personally wouldn't rent any of those houses due to location or neighborhood.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:20 PM

499 posts, read 586,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
None of those are even remotely close to the beach. Some are even in more rural areas that will take 30 mins or so to get into town in season. Others are in east Naples closer to the more higher crime areas. East Naples is much less desireable place to live than other options. Again either not near the beach or not near desireable areas. Summit place in particular is a higher crime area with an elevated calls for incidents. I personally wouldn't rent any of those houses due to location or neighborhood.
30 minutes from the beach??? Holy cow! Well, I guess that rules out Naples for the OP. Maybe Cape Coral is the best choice.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:19 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually Pine Pollen isn't that bad as it's not as airborne and much less an issue of breathing in since it typically falls straight down versus swirl around like the much smaller granules of Oak Pollen. The leading particulate in the air right now is Oak and the one that seems to set most everyone off because it's so easy to inhale.

https://www.pollen.com/forecast/current/pollen/32905
But it lands on everything and you have to clean it and then it bothers you even more when pine is your allergy. My husband cannot go out without a mask and goggles right now the pine bothers him in our yard. We do not have any oaks at all in our neighborhood. There is a pine forrest and on 1 side of our lot and lots of Palms around our house. We also have a big magnolia but it looks like it might be dying:-(

Old 03-14-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
But it lands on everything and you have to clean it and then it bothers you even more when pine is your allergy. My husband cannot go out without a mask and goggles right now the pine bothers him in our yard. We do not have any oaks at all in our neighborhood. There is a pine forrest and on 1 side of our lot and lots of Palms around our house. We also have a big magnolia but it looks like it might be dying:-(
The pollen in the air largely isn't from trees in your immediate area. Oak pollen in particular is very small (pretty much invisible to the eye) and with the wind we have been having spreads over very long distances.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:30 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The pollen in the air largely isn't from trees in your immediate area. Oak pollen in particular is very small (pretty much invisible to the eye) and with the wind we have been having spreads over very long distances.
Not going to argue but the pine pollen is a bear. Stuck inside because of it except for at the beach right now. I guess it depends on which pollen shows up on the allergy tests as the one you are sensitive to because oak does not bother me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida