Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 06:44 PM

28 posts, read 36,526 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am new to the forum and live in Illinois. My 45 yro husband has Parkinson's and was recently part of a mass lay-off after 18 years at an IT job and is currently trying to start his own computer-based business. He received a very good severance package so we were hoping to use it to relocate our family of 6 to a coastal area mainly for health reasons. My husband's Parkinson's would fair better in warmer weather where he could get out and exercise more, plus my severe asthma does better as long as I get the ocean breezes. Change of seasons is bad for me. Humidity is OK, but need the breeze. Have lots of allergies, too. I've always felt good by the ocean. We will continue to homeschool our 4 boys, so schools really aren't an issue. My question is: Could anyone recommend an area on the gulf close enough to the water (couple miles away maybe) that would have affordable 3-bedroom rentals? Of course, the area would have to be safe enough. We have relatives in Bradenton area, so that would be nice but not necessary. Heard Tampa is bad for allergies. Correct me if I'm wrong, please! My asthma seemed even better on the Atlantic than the gulf, but we would like to try the gulf first. Must be south enough to avoid colder winter weather. Good for IT jobs also in case hubbie needs to get another job besides his business (or me get pt job too) And by affordable, for us that would mean 1000-1300/month's rent if possible. Though perhaps we could go a bit higher if taxes are supposedly lower. I have already started looking at rentals online, but it might help if I could eliminate some areas and have recommendations to focus on.

Thank you so much!

Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 10:04 PM

149 posts, read 371,695 times
No advise on areas to move but I had heard that for IT work Boca Raton is very good
Called " A little NY"

Old 01-09-2016, 06:17 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times
Your housing budget would only work for a very small one bedroom in South Florida

Old 01-09-2016, 06:32 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
In your situation it will be very difficult to find anything in a coastal area in the southern to central part of the state other than SW Florida in places like Cape Coral, which is probably your best bet in terms of value for the dollar when it comes to quality of home and desirability of neighborhoods within your rental budget. Florida Gulf Coast University in neighboring Fort Myers is in process of building a Tech Park to lure employers to the area which is promising given the overall desirability of that area for families.

Rental Listings in Cape Coral FL - 42 Rentals | Zillow

Innovation Hub - Site Overview

Old 01-09-2016, 07:35 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
East coast in Brevard or Indian River counties might be a better option for a 3 bedroom to rent in your price range. We have good schools that you would register your home teaching and their testing to make state standard achievements. We also have good hospitals with some great doctors who actually care for their patients and know you instead of just a number.

Beachside would be iffier; but might be possible in an older home. Mainland can be within 4 miles of the beach but would put you closer to river which might trigger your astma like it did my MIL. Every time she came down, she ended up in ER. Her asthma was really bad even up in Tennessee.

We have not had a frost here in many years, but it dips into the 40s a few days a year and has had hard freezes a few years in the 40 we have lived here.

For tech jobs Brevard County is pretty good. You have places like Lockheed Martin, Harris, all the space related companies just to name a few.

Both counties are really pretty safe areas to live with a few small exceptions just like most area.

You can get an idea of housing on here PublicMLS Search

Hit the public search and put in rental for property type. Put in your price range with 3 bedrooms . 117 houses /condos came up this morning.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
E Mainland can be within 4 miles of the beach but would put you closer to river which might trigger your asthma like it did my MIL. Every time she came down, she ended up in ER. Her asthma was really bad even up in Tennessee.

We have not had a frost here in many years, but it dips into the 40s a few days a year and has had hard freezes a few years in the 40 we have lived here.
I have fairly severe seasonal allergies (tree pollen) and have found Central Florida especially bad given the propensity of oak trees here. Unless one is within a half mile or less of the coast here I wouldn't recommend living here with asthma/allergies unless you want to heavily medicate much of the year. Also worth noting I have never had issues in the Fall but with the changing climate conditions of late now experience sinus problems that started in October and have been on/off since. It's widespread and many who have never experienced it here now do. The southern end of Florida is largely free of hardwood trees like oaks which are the worst offenders for allergies/asthma.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:31 PM

Thank you so much everyone for your replies! I will check out your suggestions, maybe even today since we are snowed-in here in wonderful Illinois. Oh well, it has really been a very mild winter so far, but very gloomy. No sun for days.

Last night I was searching homes.com, I think, and found homes for rent in Tarpon Springs and Clearwater at the upper range of our budget. Also many cheaper rentals in New Port Richey, but then I read about all the crime and drugs there. Any knowledge of Tarpon Springs out there?? Any Pinellas County towns to stay away from?

Still wondering also about how my asthma would fair in Tampa if I were closer to the water. Tampa rentals came up cheaper for the most part in my searches.

I know I will never be cured, but moving to a warm climate with more SUN might increase my happiness level. And maybe it would be good for my husband (Parkinson's can cause depression, too.)

I am thankful for any more of your input you might have and will continue my search. If it does prove too expensive for us to live in coastal Florida, then I suppose I will need to start looking into Texas or somewhere.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:40 PM

Thank you, Kyle19125, for the helpful links, and for sharing your experience. And also Rabflmom, thanks for all the good info and the search link!

Old 01-09-2016, 03:56 PM

Yay! Just saw that Cape Coral was rated the #1 place to live for asthma! Best Place to Live with Asthma

Old 01-10-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk_buster View Post
Thank you so much everyone for your replies! I will check out your suggestions, maybe even today since we are snowed-in here in wonderful Illinois. Oh well, it has really been a very mild winter so far, but very gloomy. No sun for days.

Last night I was searching homes.com, I think, and found homes for rent in Tarpon Springs and Clearwater at the upper range of our budget. Also many cheaper rentals in New Port Richey, but then I read about all the crime and drugs there. Any knowledge of Tarpon Springs out there?? Any Pinellas County towns to stay away from?

Still wondering also about how my asthma would fair in Tampa if I were closer to the water. Tampa rentals came up cheaper for the most part in my searches.

I know I will never be cured, but moving to a warm climate with more SUN might increase my happiness level. And maybe it would be good for my husband (Parkinson's can cause depression, too.)

I am thankful for any more of your input you might have and will continue my search. If it does prove too expensive for us to live in coastal Florida, then I suppose I will need to start looking into Texas or somewhere.
Pinellas County has some nice options but again you're dealing with a heavy presence of oak trees which will be a problem, even near the coast. You're also above the general freeze belt in Florida where it can still get surprisingly chilly in the winter (30s and 40s). The 150 mile difference to the south equals much more sub-tropical vegetation with much less pollen, and temperatures very rarely below the 50s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida