Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:43 PM

54 posts, read 329,760 times

Advertisements

my family and i live in babylon on long island and we absolutely love it here, the feeling of community is alive and well here but the winters are killing us. my husband is a fishing boat captain and is dying to make the move to fla. i however am scared to death that we'll move to a place where we won't have that sense of community with neighbors and friends. i know new yorkers have a reputation of being mean and rude but i gotta tell ya the more i read these posts from orlando the more i think the angry people have settled there! looking into merritt island, heard there are alot of us new yorkers settling there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 09:51 PM

523 posts, read 2,829,603 times
Please dont believe the crazy posts about Orlando. It was put on there by the same person. I live in Lakeland lots of people from New York here.
I just met my single 53 yr old new yorker neighbor next door. She bought her a home by herself and got out of snow. Her grown kids fly here often. She says her health is so much better. SHe got her a job at disney to keep busy.
She retired from New York Prison system.

Last edited by Floridasunshine; 03-11-2007 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: added

Old 03-12-2007, 08:02 PM

121 posts, read 504,023 times
How do people think that native floridians feel when we are over run by people moving here. My family did not move here. Well at least not in the last 100 years. You people are ruining our way of life. No you have all ready done that. But that is not enough. Is there no end to it?
I realize that most of you never saw the beautiful land that was bulldozed for your houses. The ground owls, wild hogs, skunks, possums and even gators that were run off or killed because of this building with no end. I do not blame you as the county has approved all of this. But when you do not understand why most of the few Florida natives left do not like what has happened to our home there it is in a nutshell.
How can you expect us to be happy when the place that we have been for decades no longer feels like home? We are just fed up with all of it.And the worst part is the people that move here and then complain about things that have been here for ever. Put the shoe on the other foot. How would you like it if your northern community was were you wanted to stay and had been there for generations. Would you like it if your small town was over run, bulldozed and your way of life changed for ever? I don't think anyone would.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:42 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,212,396 times
riverviewnative, where exactly is riverview? i think much of northern fla is still pretty native and reminds us of "old fla."

"backtofla" (fla native also).

Old 03-12-2007, 09:33 PM

267 posts, read 1,140,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewnative View Post
How do people think that native floridians feel when we are over run by people moving here. My family did not move here. Well at least not in the last 100 years. You people are ruining our way of life. No you have all ready done that. But that is not enough. Is there no end to it?
I realize that most of you never saw the beautiful land that was bulldozed for your houses. The ground owls, wild hogs, skunks, possums and even gators that were run off or killed because of this building with no end. I do not blame you as the county has approved all of this. But when you do not understand why most of the few Florida natives left do not like what has happened to our home there it is in a nutshell.
How can you expect us to be happy when the place that we have been for decades no longer feels like home? We are just fed up with all of it.And the worst part is the people that move here and then complain about things that have been here for ever. Put the shoe on the other foot. How would you like it if your northern community was were you wanted to stay and had been there for generations. Would you like it if your small town was over run, bulldozed and your way of life changed for ever? I don't think anyone would.
And how do you think the Native Americans felt??

Old 03-12-2007, 09:46 PM

Since my Mom was part seminole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
And how do you think the Native Americans felt??
Riverview used to be a little country town south of Tampa. Now they have all kind of names for it like South Shore. And it sucks to live here. All our kids were born here and all have left due the the building. North Florida is looking real good. To cold for the Yankees and southern enough to still have values and morals. You know like saying please and thank you. Opening the doors for women. Respecting your elders and that kind of stuff. No blaring bass music and rude people to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
riverviewnative, where exactly is riverview? i think much of northern fla is still pretty native and reminds us of "old fla."

"backtofla" (fla native also).

Old 03-12-2007, 10:33 PM

267 posts, read 1,140,965 times
Quote:
Riverview used to be a little country town south of Tampa. Now they have all kind of names for it like South Shore. And it sucks to live here. All our kids were born here and all have left due the the building. North Florida is looking real good. To cold for the Yankees and southern enough to still have values and morals. You know like saying please and thank you. Opening the doors for women. Respecting your elders and that kind of stuff. No blaring bass music and rude people to deal with.
I wasn't being a smart ^%$ with the Native American comment - my husband is part Native American!

You seem to have some real issues with Northerners! You think we are all rude and disrespectful and have no manners? Talk about buying into stereotypes? And I'm sure all Native Southerners are inbred rednecks? NO! I would never presume to be so ignorant. But you have shown in your posts that you might be.

You don't seem to have anything positive to say or offer any advise (other than for northerns to leave). Is this just a whining board for you?

Old 03-12-2007, 11:54 PM

37 posts, read 121,685 times
You don't seem to have anything positive to say or offer any advise (other than for northerns to leave.

Most Floridians don't have issues with Northerners, just those Northerners who decide to move here. It's not like 20 or 30 of you decide to move here, you come in every day by the thousands!

We can't even send our kids to decent schools anymore! Where there was 20 kids per teacher, there is now 40. Land taxes that were "bearable" are to the point where most have to sell what they have worked so hard for all their lives, all so Northerners can enjoy the warmth & sunshine? What do you people think that does to our quality of life and our kids? Why do you think we are so negative?

Old 03-13-2007, 12:08 AM

Default IF that is the case

Then why do you want to move here? Redneck hell yes. And nothing would make me happier that for Florida to be a state where if you can visit but have to be born here to live here. . Ok so it is the jerks at the county that allow all the building. I am not talking to you. As I have said it is the zero lot line row after row same houses that I hate. And you have never in you life lived in Riverview so don't try to tell me how to act. You are moving to Spring Hill and I hope that you are happy. You would not be in Riverview.I am not and I guess it shows. It is not progress it just an damn shame. My nephew from Michingan came to visit us and he could not believe the way people from Michigan drove here. He said they don't drive like that up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
I wasn't being a smart ^%$ with the Native American comment - my husband is part Native American!

You seem to have some real issues with Northerners! You think we are all rude and disrespectful and have no manners? Talk about buying into stereotypes? And I'm sure all Native Southerners are inbred rednecks? NO! I would never presume to be so ignorant. But you have shown in your posts that you might be.

You don't seem to have anything positive to say or offer any advise (other than for northerns to leave). Is this just a whining board for you?

Old 03-13-2007, 11:10 AM

177 posts, read 684,201 times
Quote:
Small town and rural areas all over the country have been developed and "bulldozed". Florida is no different. It happened to my community where I grew up on Long Island and it is happening now in Lancaster PA.
Since you are blaming us for ruining your way of life, I really don't care if you are "happy". Growth is a fact of life in most areas. We have all learned to live with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida