Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 05:27 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
i stand corrected, looks like JAX has grown since I last flew there. Still less options than MIA, MCO and TPA though.
JAX has grown considerably in the past several years and while not in the league of the other three you mention, certainly offers plenty of service to most anyone traveling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 07:38 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Of you list provided of your potential finalists I would most recommend Ponte Vedra Beach. You'll find a good value in terms of dollar per square foot, the lowest risk in terms of catastrophic storm activity in the state (NE Florida), beautiful beaches and plenty of nature, safe and fairly walkable neighborhoods (check out the Ponte Vedra Lakes area on the north side), a 30-40 minute drive to the airport in Jacksonville (with all six major US carriers and nonstop service to many major US cities) and arguably the best concentration of quality health care facilities in the state with top referral facilities like the Mayo Clinic and University of Florida-Shands along with Baptist Health which is the top regional provider in NE Florida.
Consider Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach and Atlantic Beach. More walkability than PVB. PVB is more suburban some resort area. If you dont mind being farther from the ocean Riverside/Avondale area of Jacksonville is another place to consider for walkabilty, closer to Jacksonville airport. Do some research and see if these work for you, i would post some websites but the moderators would remove them but not too hard to find information

Old 01-20-2016, 06:37 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Consider Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach and Atlantic Beach. More walkability than PVB. PVB is more suburban some resort area. If you dont mind being farther from the ocean Riverside/Avondale area of Jacksonville is another place to consider for walkabilty, closer to Jacksonville airport. Do some research and see if these work for you, i would post some websites but the moderators would remove them but not too hard to find information
I agree, I was just alluding to the list the OP had compiled. The beach communities to the north are far more walkable and have plenty of desirable areas to choose from.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:56 AM

67 posts, read 107,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, I was just alluding to the list the OP had compiled. The beach communities to the north are far more walkable and have plenty of desirable areas to choose from.
Though you're from Sanford you always seem to provide fair and balanced opinions on recommending other areas of Florida for folks to check out.

I travel to all the major cities in Florida for various reasons (work, leisure, etc) and I believe they all have something unique to offer. I like certain things about Tampa/St Pete, Orlando, Miami/Ft Lauderdale and the Jax/St Augustine area.

I moved from Tampa to the Jax area and at first didn't like, but as time went on I began to see some things here I prefer over the other major Florida cities.

I think your recommendation to the OP to at least check out the Ponte Vedra area is spot on. If they like golf, maybe they can time it to attend the Players Championship.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:18 AM

22 posts, read 37,668 times
Again - thanks to all that took the time to provide insights. You all have been very helpful.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:22 AM

90 posts, read 122,320 times
Check out Northern Pinellas County. Dunedin, Palm Harbor, Countryside(Clearwater), Safety Harbor. Might work for you.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:40 PM

19 posts, read 18,683 times
Florida is a great place if you like congestion, corruption, crime and unregulated nonstop growth

Old 03-04-2016, 04:04 PM

555 posts, read 891,774 times
I am retiring in December and have booked a month each in two different locations for next year: Englewood (renting a little Fifties house beachside) and Ormond Beach (again, a small house in a residential area between the ocean and the river).

Anyone with experience of those areas? Anything we shouldn't miss? I look forward to lots of walking on the beach and checking out state parks in the areas. Am not much on shopping, auto racing, or golf.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:04 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
I live beachside in the Ormond Beach area. Trip Advisor can tell you every thing you need to know. Here are my recommendations.

In December, you might check out Washington Oaks state park. My wife says they have a nice Christmas theme. Blue Springs State Park and De Leon State Park may both have groups of manatees and are both near DeLand about a 40 minute drive west. I don't care much for Tomoka State Park, but it is close by and is bearable that time of year. Going to the Marine Science Museum in Ponce Inlet is worth the drive. There is a dog friendly beach and light house in the same area. If you go down that far, eating lunch or dinner outside (next to the beach) at the North Turn restaurant can be pleasant.

Check out the little art museum on Granada and wander it's gardens. I can recommend the Erwan Thai restaurant and Alfies. In nice weather sit outside at Laegerheads enjoying a drink and free music. We also like Bonita Maria's for Cuban and Mexican food- go for the margaritas and Cuban dishes.

Surfing is better in the cooler months and there are miles of beaches where you will probably see your neighbors. There might be something you want to see at the Peabody theater in Daytona Beach. If you want some night life head down A1A to Daytona Beach, there is usually a crowd at Rip Tides.

Last edited by Fredesch; 03-04-2016 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 03-04-2016, 05:22 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
Florida is a great place if you like congestion, corruption, crime and unregulated nonstop growth
You can replace "Florida" with just about any State and the sentence will be just as true. Consequently a waste of bandwidth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida