Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 11:45 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times

Advertisements

I hear so many different geographic descriptions of locations in Florida, it gets confusing.

How do y'all break down the areas in Florida, in regards to N, S, SW, etc? Where do you draw the lines?

We live in the Tampa Bay area and I have seen it called part of SW Florida and also West Central Florida. I just don't see it as SW Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 12:22 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Tampa Bay area is west central Florida. SW Florida sometimes includes Sarasota/Bradenton, but truly it starts south of here, Ft. Myers/Naples.

Can't speak to the other boundaries.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:44 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
West Central FL is Tampa Bay area, including Sarasota
Southwest FL is usually anything from port Charlotte south into Naples on the west coast of FL.
South Florida is Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties. Also includes Monroe, FL Keys
Northwest FL is JAX down through Daytona
Central FL is the Orlando area and Titusville, New Smyrna down through like Martin county.
"Panhandle" is anything from like Tallahassee west...

Old 01-26-2016, 12:51 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
OH no... the New Jersey board goes nuts with define North Jersey and South Jersey and is there really a Central Jersey?... this will be an endless thread!

My 2 cents on FL

Panhandle... probably the most uncontreversial... west of the Suwanee River...

West Florida... from Panama City west

North Florida... Basically Jacksonville Metro with Putnam County... some add Flagler geographically fits but culturally more Central Florida.

Central Florida... Orlando Metro with Volusia, Flagler and Brevard

North Central... Orlando and Gainesville with Lake City, Live Oak and Starke. Dixie and Levy Counties some would add Citrus

Tampa Bay... Tampa and St Pete metros with Polk, Manatee, Sarasota, and for me Citrus

South Florida.. Indian River County South to the Keys

Southwest Florida.. Charlotte County south to Mainland Monroe County( no one lives there so lets just say Collier

Counties around Lake Okeechobee... not really South or Southwest... maybe lump with Lakeland( Polk County) as South Central Florida, because these counties do not fit with the coasts.

some are obvious like Orlando is Central, Miami is South, Jacksonville is North... but it can get subjective. Some counties are split geographically i.e. Polk eastern is more Orlando influenced but western Polk is more linked to Tampa, or by how long your family has been there. i.e. Old time Flagler residents probably identify as North Florida whereas newcomers are more apt to identify Central Florida

Old 01-26-2016, 12:52 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
West Central FL is Tampa Bay area, including Sarasota
Southwest FL is usually anything from port Charlotte south into Naples on the west coast of FL.
South Florida is Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties. Also includes Monroe, FL Keys
Northwest FL is JAX down through Daytona
Central FL is the Orlando area and Titusville, New Smyrna down through like Martin county.
"Panhandle" is anything from like Tallahassee west...
No East Central Florida?

I totally agree with SW Florida being from the Port Charlotte area south on the west coast.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:55 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
"East Central" is from Daytona to Vero?

All I care about is PSL is at the top of SOUTH east Florida! 'Cause that's where I moved to! LOL

Old 01-26-2016, 01:01 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,319,495 times
While I live in SW Florida (Naples), people across the country do not differentiate South Florida (Miami area) from SouthWEST Florida. I generally just tell people South Florida. If it is a matter of being any farther south geographically or temp wise (swimming in the Atlantic or Gulf), does it really matter to a non-resident?

Old 01-26-2016, 01:17 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
While I live in SW Florida (Naples), people across the country do not differentiate South Florida (Miami area) from SouthWEST Florida. I generally just tell people South Florida. If it is a matter of being any farther south geographically or temp wise (swimming in the Atlantic or Gulf), does it really matter to a non-resident?
Yeah it does matter cuz Miami and Fort Lauderdale are way different than Naples....both culturally and economically different.

Naples is like a retirement village where ppl play golf.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:35 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
From the south to the north:

The Keys = the Florida Keys
South Florida = Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach counties
Southwest Florida = Ft. Myers down to Naples
Central Florida = Orlando, Tampa, Sarasota

Anything north of Central Florida = Georgia

Old 01-26-2016, 03:57 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
From the south to the north:

The Keys = the Florida Keys
South Florida = Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach counties
Southwest Florida = Ft. Myers down to Naples
Central Florida = Orlando, Tampa, Sarasota

Anything north of Central Florida = Georgia

Enough with the South Georgia/lower Alabama crap... I am not saying Miami is Cuba, Boca Raton is South Long Island or Tampa is Chicago with Palms

Its all Florida... my family is 6 or 7 generation Floridian don't presume to tell me that my roots are not genuine Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida