Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 06:08 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,864,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
I am amazed by this in Wellington. Coming from NYC area, it was just common sense to not leave valuables in absolute plain view and to lock your car doors. It seems like nearly every crime I read about in town is theft from unlocked vehicles. Some thieves get pretty good hauls, too - designer bags, hundreds in cash, ipads, laptops.
I know. I can't figure out why people don't get it. Are they just lazy about locking the car door?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 06:42 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,324,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanyhellen View Post
Thank you for so much info! Have you by chance been anywhere farther up north? We were also considering South Carolina but we just haven't been anywhere in the US really besides vacationing twice in Florida and realizing that there is more to life than sub zero temps and being buried in snow.
SC has some nice beach communities. However Winters will be colder and a bit longer. I looked at FL, SC, NC and GA coastal areas and now have narrowed it to FL. One reason, besides cold being a physical problem for me now, is that while FL is a long way from the rest of the US (Driving time) there is so much to do in FL compared to the other States, aside from no mountains, that it is more appealing to my wife and I. If we want mountains it is not a bad drive to some.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:09 AM

29 posts, read 33,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
All in all it might be a better option for you as it's less expensive (and less crowded) generally speaking in South Carolina. Winters are colder but it's not even a third of what you get most likely currently, and certainly much shorter. I think it tends to be friendlier too. There are four distinct areas in SC to choose from with the coastal areas around Charleston and Myrtle Beach, the central part of the state around Columbia (the state capital and college town with the U of South Carolina's presence), the suburbs at the NC state line bordering Charlotte and the upcountry area on the NW side around Greenville/Spartanburg. If you're looking to strike a good bit of winter from your life I would avoid the Greenville/Spartanburg area which is at higher altitude in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains with quite a bit of winter weather from November through March. In terms of jobs, amenities and good schools it's hard to beat the Charlotte suburbs in SC of Fort Mill and Clover which are in the top three school districts in all of SC. Some prefer the coastal areas for obvious reasons and the Charleston area in particular has been booming with growth/job demand and has some great family-friendly areas in towns lie Mount Pleasant and Summerville which also have very good schools. I would have to say my favorite is the Columbia area which is geographically centered 90 minutes from the coast, mountains or Charlotte. It's a pretty area with lots of trees, rolling hills and beautiful Lake Murray just outside of town. It has plenty going on as the state capital and as a major college town, plus has been seeing significant economic growth (and jobs) along with a cost of living at or below the national average. Places like Forest Acres and Blythewood are great for families and have top-rated public schools too. Forest Acres is my favorite as it's closest to downtown Columbia as it's just 3 miles NE yet feels much further out with all of it's greenspace and suburban feel. It also has all of the nicer retail/restaurants/grocery stores nearby. Of the places I have visited Columbia was definitely the friendliest and most transplant friendly seemingly. Hope all of this helped! I have pretty heavily investigated South Carolina for my own relocation so can share more information if needed. Feel free to send me a direct message! : )
I direct messaged you. I'd like to stay connected! Thank you for all the help!

Old 02-01-2016, 10:19 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,563,007 times
Florida like Michigan is a large state geographically, Jacksonville is 6 hours drive closer to Michigan than Miami, so if being closer to Michigan is a priority stay farther north.

You mentioned your husband works for the city, like anywhere else much easier to get a job with city through connections/nepotism. So that may be a challenge without connections; what does he do for the city?

Obviously there are more jobs in the metro areas ( Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville ) but you are coming from a rural area so it may be a bit of a culture shock being in a city. And there are lots of rural parts of Florida, but it seems your are looking for a change.

As others have mentioned hurricanes more likely to hit South Florida and the Panhandle. Jax, Tampa are less likely but not unheard of, Orlando being inland you will not have storm surge risk but they can still get wind/rain from hurricane. But you know for days if a hurricane is coming and about how strong it will be and you can evacuate or prepare. And keep in mind a Tropical Storm can cause devastating floods or spawn tornadoes. So look at more than hurricane risk.

Crime as others have said is more common in certain areas and many times its a crime of opportunity.

Hope things go well. Y'all are young still and your son is not yet in middle school or high school where moving away from friends is harder, no better time to try something new. Keep your options open. If it all goes to s*** you can always move home to Michigan.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
SC has some nice beach communities. However Winters will be colder and a bit longer. I looked at FL, SC, NC and GA coastal areas and now have narrowed it to FL. One reason, besides cold being a physical problem for me now, is that while FL is a long way from the rest of the US (Driving time) there is so much to do in FL compared to the other States, aside from no mountains, that it is more appealing to my wife and I. If we want mountains it is not a bad drive to some.
"Cold" is a different term if you're from the UP. It can frequently get to -50 degrees in the winters. 2013-2014 winters had record lows. It was the worst two winters I can remember. School was cancelled ALL the time, you couldn't go outside for longer than a minute or two without the risk of frostbite on exposed skin. I think anything above 40 would be amazing at this point!

Old 02-01-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Florida like Michigan is a large state geographically, Jacksonville is 6 hours drive closer to Michigan than Miami, so if being closer to Michigan is a priority stay farther north.

You mentioned your husband works for the city, like anywhere else much easier to get a job with city through connections/nepotism. So that may be a challenge without connections; what does he do for the city?

Obviously there are more jobs in the metro areas ( Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville ) but you are coming from a rural area so it may be a bit of a culture shock being in a city. And there are lots of rural parts of Florida, but it seems your are looking for a change.

As others have mentioned hurricanes more likely to hit South Florida and the Panhandle. Jax, Tampa are less likely but not unheard of, Orlando being inland you will not have storm surge risk but they can still get wind/rain from hurricane. But you know for days if a hurricane is coming and about how strong it will be and you can evacuate or prepare. And keep in mind a Tropical Storm can cause devastating floods or spawn tornadoes. So look at more than hurricane risk.

Crime as others have said is more common in certain areas and many times its a crime of opportunity.

Hope things go well. Y'all are young still and your son is not yet in middle school or high school where moving away from friends is harder, no better time to try something new. Keep your options open. If it all goes to s*** you can always move home to Michigan.
EXACTLY! It would be the easiest thing to move back here. But it seems to be the hardest to escape! As for city work, he does maintenance/labor... Little bit of everything. He has to have a CDL, so he can drive any large construction vehicles and he has a bunch of water licenses because he has to take classes frequently (as you can see I'm not too versed on exactly what he does!) I know he reads people's water meters, fixes water breaks in pipes and such, keeps tabs on the sewer system, etc.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:34 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,830,978 times
As someone else noted, you must have an income to live anywhere. So to the OP, find an area you like, then secure employment before you make any sort of quantum leap there. A hammock on the beach strung between two palm trees isn't too nice if that's all you have.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:41 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,324,110 times
Quote:
"Cold" is a different term if you're from the UP. It can frequently get to -50 degrees in the winters. 2013-2014 winters had record lows. It was the worst two winters I can remember. School was cancelled ALL the time, you couldn't go outside for longer than a minute or two without the risk of frostbite on exposed skin. I think anything above 40 would be amazing at this point!
Oh I agree, but I lived in Northern IN for a while. However once established in a new place you will adjust and "cold" is still cold even if not as low a temperature. Plus humidity makes it worse in some cases. So a 25F day in Myrtle Beach is still cold as is a 32F day. Not as bad as -50F, but still cold. No schools get cancelled, but you will still feel cold. That is why I am looking further South and I have lived in the Outer Banks of NC (Kitty Hawk area) and would likely not move back even though I have family there. Winters there are still "cold". Now above 40F is better, but you still bundle up and life changes until it hits 60F and above.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:00 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,563,007 times
Quote:
EXACTLY! It would be the easiest thing to move back here. But it seems to be the hardest to escape! As for city work, he does maintenance/labor... Little bit of everything. He has to have a CDL, so he can drive any large construction vehicles and he has a bunch of water licenses because he has to take classes frequently (as you can see I'm not too versed on exactly what he does!) I know he reads people's water meters, fixes water breaks in pipes and such, keeps tabs on the sewer system, etc.

CDL may open up some trucking jobs, Jacksonville is a logistics center.. But any port would have some jobs involved in that. I have know some people who moved from Michigan to FL and they were happy. Look into the utility companies as well for him.

Teaching dance would require people with disposable income for you.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Oh I agree, but I lived in Northern IN for a while. However once established in a new place you will adjust and "cold" is still cold even if not as low a temperature. Plus humidity makes it worse in some cases. So a 25F day in Myrtle Beach is still cold as is a 32F day. Not as bad as -50F, but still cold. No schools get cancelled, but you will still feel cold. That is why I am looking further South and I have lived in the Outer Banks of NC (Kitty Hawk area) and would likely not move back even though I have family there. Winters there are still "cold". Now above 40F is better, but you still bundle up and life changes until it hits 60F and above.
I'm SO looking forward to a day in my future when 32 degrees isn't "warm"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida