Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,377 times

Advertisements

I'm doing some long term planning (10 years down the road) about retiring to Florida from the Chicago area after the kids are done with college. My wife loves heat, hates cold and snow. I'm more partial to the cold. Looking for a place in florida where the humidity and heat won't kill. We go to Clearwater and Disney World alot, os by retiring to Florida we can visit Disney more often and cheaper.
I've looked at Ocala and gainesville but not sure. Also some places have mentioned Tallahhassee. Just don't want to be in a high hurricane area.

-don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 02:30 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlander6263 View Post
I'm doing some long term planning (10 years down the road) about retiring to Florida from the Chicago area after the kids are done with college. My wife loves heat, hates cold and snow. I'm more partial to the cold. Looking for a place in florida where the humidity and heat won't kill. We go to Clearwater and Disney World alot, os by retiring to Florida we can visit Disney more often and cheaper.
I've looked at Ocala and gainesville but not sure. Also some places have mentioned Tallahhassee. Just don't want to be in a high hurricane area.

-don
Humidity is going to be anywhere in FL. However, you both should look in Jacksonville. While the summers are Florida hot and humid, there is an actual fall, and winter is chilly, but not cold. It might satisfy both of you. There is more to do in Jax/St Aug than in Gainsville and Ocala. I don't know much about Tallahassee, but it's not coastal at all, which to me...is the ONLY reason to move to the state.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:12 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,054 times
Stick to northern Florida but I will tell you, Florida is hot it was 85 today and it`s February 7th just an example. The northern part has a bit more cool weather during the winter but the summer is the same all over just plain hot!

I have the A/C on

Old 02-07-2008, 04:15 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,157,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Stick to northern Florida but I will tell you, Florida is hot it was 85 today and it`s February 7th just an example. The northern part has a bit more cool weather during the winter but the summer is the same all over just plain hot!

I have the A/C on
Today temp 61 high and 44 low, perfect....

Old 02-07-2008, 04:37 PM

440 posts, read 2,426,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post

Couldn't agree more Sunrico ... just another day in paradise! Found a spot on the beach in the sun out of the wind ... absolutely perfect!

Old 02-07-2008, 05:02 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post

Not bad, I wasn`t complaining I like it warm where I can go on my porch just wearing shorts in February. I was just letting the OP know it`s warm here because they stated they like cold weather.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:15 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Not bad, I wasn`t complaining I like it warm where I can go on my porch just wearing shorts in February. I was just letting the OP know it`s warm here because they stated they like cold weather.
Yes..I'm not sure where Sunrico lives. Sounds like Jacksonville, b/c that was our temp today.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:38 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlander6263 View Post

-don

Tallahassee is about 40 miles or so from the coast, and the central and northern parts of it are hilly and forested, so the only real threat from hurricanes are falling trees or the odd spinoff tornado. Many neighborhoods here are Red Cross designated Disaster Resistant Neighborhoods - which I think gets you some kind of break on insurance. The south central and southwest side of town is prone to flooding, but you would not want to live there anyway.

In the summer, you will not escape the humidity and heat anywhere in the state. It is worse in the interior than it is on the coasts. BUT, in the panhandle temperatures drop into the 20's and teens in the winter, and you actually get seasons that include fall and spring. Lots of people have fireplaces and use them between late October and late March or so.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:30 PM

270 posts, read 522,539 times
Pensacola is a lovely city, and not so far south, so it's not quite as hot (but it's all hot.) But your wife certainly will be happier than she is in Chicago!

Old 02-08-2008, 03:32 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,157,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
Yes..I'm not sure where Sunrico lives. Sounds like Jacksonville, b/c that was our temp today.
Navarre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida