Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:27 AM

3 posts, read 2,350 times

Advertisements

I currently live in California. I am trying to find a city in Florida where my parents who are retired and I can live - not together but close by each other. I can afford California but I'm worried that they won't be able to do so. They currently live in Virginia and are on a fixed income. Each year it gets more expensive here in CA. I want a place where we can live near each other so if something happens I will be there for them.

Here is my wishlist:

A condo on a beach that I can walk on for some distance. Walking on a beach is one of my favorite things to do.

An active 55+ retirement community with homes in the 200-300k range for my parents. Preferably within a 10 minute drive of my condo. My mom loves to walk so I want a place where she can walk that doesn't have alligators (the thought of them terrifies me).

Great healthcare for seniors.

Within an hour or so of a major airport.

Low crime rate.

I prefer a more sedate place than a party destination for drunk college kids.

A city geared to seniors with a metro population of between 250k and 1 million or so that has lower insurance rates (for Florida) would be ideal.

I want to move in the next 2 years so they can get established somewhere before they start to have health problems but I'm having a hard time figuring out where I should even look.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited by kgarrett16; 02-05-2016 at 02:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 04:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I'd focus on the St Petersburg area particularly the Beach areas.
https://www.google.ca/#q=st+petersburg+fl

https://www.google.ca/search?q=st+pe...eSBSgQ_AUIBygC

Old 02-05-2016, 06:04 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd focus on the St Petersburg area particularly the Beach areas.
https://www.google.ca/#q=st+petersburg+fl

https://www.google.ca/search?q=st+pe...eSBSgQ_AUIBygC
I was going to suggest the same but would extend the search area south to Sarasota also.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:26 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
The St Petersburg area would be my recommendation as well but would recommend focusing more on towns like Indian Rocks Beach or Belleair Beach where it's not as touristy and less commercialized. They are to the north both along a neighboring beautiful stretch of beach for a few miles that consists of mainly low to the occasional mid-rise buildings versus consistent highrise development seen to the north or south of them. Both towns feature a nice selection of low key restaurants/beach bars and close proximity to groceries/drug stores/etc just across intracoastal waterway bridges to the mainland that are minutes away. It's a very safe area with about a 40 minute drive time to Tampa International Airport. There would be plenty of housing options for your parents in the nearby area, particularly in the Belleair//Belleair Shores area just inland from Belleair Beach. There's also quality health care options available for your parents in nearby Clearwater at Baycare-Morton Plant Hospital and it's surrounding medical complex.

City of Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
About Us | City of Belleair Beach
https://www.baycare.org/mph/about-us

Old 02-05-2016, 07:08 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Jacksonville Beaches( Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, Jax Beach, Ponte Vedra Beach)would be good. Sweetwater is near I295 and SR202, it is 55+ has single family homes and condos, real nice ammenties and walking trails, my ex wifes mom lives in there and they enjoy it. Its about 10 min from Jacksonville Beach.

Jax has the Mayo Clinic right near the beach and the Baptist and St Vincents have hospitals on the Southside, UF Health has a hospital downtown.

Jax does not have a lot of snowbirds like places farther South and it is cooler in the winter.

You mentioned your parents live in Virginia, so if that is home its a quick flight or 10-12 hour drive( direct flights to DCA, IAD, and soon RIC on Allegiant) if you or they wanted to visit VA.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:17 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgarrett16 View Post
I currently live in California. I am trying to find a city in Florida where my parents who are retired and I can live - not together but close by each other. I can afford California but I'm worried that they won't be able to do so. They currently live in Virginia and are on a fixed income. Each year it gets more expensive here in CA. I want a place where we can live near each other so if something happens I will be there for them.

Here is my wishlist:

A condo on a beach that I can walk on for some distance. Walking on a beach is one of my favorite things to do.

An active 55+ retirement community with homes in the 200-300k range for my parents. Preferably within a 10 minute drive of my condo. My mom loves to walk so I want a place where she can walk that doesn't have alligators (the thought of them terrifies me).

Great healthcare for seniors.

Within an hour or so of a major airport.

Low crime rate.

I prefer a more sedate place than a party destination for drunk college kids.

A city geared to seniors with a metro population of between 250k and 1 million or so that has lower insurance rates (for Florida) would be ideal.

I want to move in the next 2 years so they can get established somewhere before they start to have health problems but I'm having a hard time figuring out where I should even look.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Is finding work a factor for you? Are there school age children involved?

Old 02-06-2016, 01:18 AM

3 posts, read 2,350 times
Thanks for the great tips! I work from home so work isn't an issue. No kids except the 4 legged kind.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:09 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Default Naples is a possibility

What is YOUR housing budget?

Naples seems to fit but if the beach condo is a must you will need substantial income.

Do not worry about alligators.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:19 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I would look on Gulf coast from St. Pete down through Venice. There should be something that would fit the bill.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:06 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Why not Palm Beach? You can get a place on the ocean, with endless miles of beach for under $200k. It's warmer in the winter, too. If looking, I'd definitely look at the West coast but also the northern areas of Palm Beach are worth driving.

If an airport is important, you have 3 major airports (Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Miami) which have tons of direct flights just about anywhere from all major carriers.

Here is a list of 55 and up communities in Palm Beach. http://www.55places.com/florida/area/palm-beach-county

Then use Zillow or Realtor.com to check out beach condos and see if anything sparks interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida