Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 01:55 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times

Advertisements

Hello all, so we were planning on doing a camping trip/stargazing expedition to Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park from Bradenton, and stopping over in Lakeland on the way back from that. My question was, what worthwhile places might we see along the way on that drive? Our Lakeland trip would mostly be to see family. So far, the places it appears we would pass are

-Zolfo Springs (not sure what's there)
-Avon Park (not sure what's there either, but I know our route passes close to Sebring Int'l Raceway)
-Yeehaw Junction (famous for whatever reason, I think the diner there is famous or something)
-Lake Wales (Basically Bok Tower Gardens, which we may stop by since I have a pass)
-Lakeland (Mostly there to see family, but may do some exploring also)
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Brad...27.4989278!3e0 (Full Route)

Anyways, any other ideas for stops or things I would have to see along that stretch of road would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 02:39 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
Depending on when you're traveling, Zolfo Springs hosts Pioneer Park Days each spring. This year it's March 3 - 5. Lots of antiques vendors, antique steam engines, antique tractors and local food stands selling things like gator tail & swamp cabbage, along with the standard hot dogs and hamburgers.

Can't think of anything in Avon Park to mention, they have a couple of golf courses and not much else.

Would definitely suggest checking out the Bok Towers in Lake Wales, beautiful gardens, this time of year they have a lot of flowering plants, especially azaleas.

The downtown Lakeland has a lot of older, brick buildings/stores, antique stores, nice parks with shade trees. Mirror Lake has some beautiful gardens as well. Lakeland is known for the swans that inhabit the downtown lakes. Detroit Tigers do their spring training in Lakeland. If you're into architecture there are a lot of really nice, older estate homes built on and near the many lakes in the older part of Lakeland on tree lined streets. If I were going to move away from the coast, the older part of Lakeland would be one of my first choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida