Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 12:21 AM

499 posts, read 586,438 times

Advertisements

I live in South Florida and every time the temp gets above 75 degrees, these flying insects appear directly outside of my front door. They are about the size of mosquitoes, but with slightly fatter black bodies and less visible wings & legs. The odd thing (to me) is that they hover in the air, barely moving, about 36 inches off the ground. It's so strange that they seriously look like they are suspended mid-air by some invisible string, moving very, very slowly - if at all. They don't land on us or bite. They also don't move when you walk into them, I end up swatting or trying to "blow" them out of my way (if my hands are full). They are usually in groups of 5 - 20. I never see them land on anything or hang out on a surface.

I cannot figure out what could possibly be attracting them. It is a CBS construction house, wood & glass front door, completely in the shade, no plants/shrubs/trees, no grass, no standing water or moisture, no steps, just a brick/paver stone walkway that leads directly to the front door.

What are they? What is attracting them? How can I get rid of them? I can't stand having to walk through them every time I come in and out of the front door. It's especially troubling for my toddler daughter who is only 3 feet tall and gets a face full of bugs every time we come in or out. We have our home sprayed every few months for ghost ants, palmetto bugs, etc but it seems to have no effect on these guys. The only time I don't see them is when the weather is cooler. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 03:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Sounds like love bugs=
http://disneycruiselineblog.com/wp-c...97_Lovebug.jpg

Old 02-23-2016, 06:21 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
No not love bugs. She said they are always there and never land. Love bugs fly together and they can cover the wall.

Not sure what they are but maybe a midge or a robberfly ?

Old 02-23-2016, 10:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Picture would be handy..

Old 02-23-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Picture would be handy..
I'm going to catch one & post a pic. They do not have red on their heads like the lovebugs. (I was looking at pictures of those - eeeeyuck!) Plus there are not that many of them. I was looking at common insects of Florida on google last night and holy cow! I wouldn't recommend doing that at bedtime

Old 02-23-2016, 12:46 PM

509 posts, read 517,186 times
Almost sounds like a Blind Masquito

Old 02-23-2016, 03:18 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
I'm going to catch one & post a pic. They do not have red on their heads like the lovebugs. (I was looking at pictures of those - eeeeyuck!) Plus there are not that many of them. I was looking at common insects of Florida on google last night and holy cow! I wouldn't recommend doing that at bedtime

BaaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaa....looking at bugs before bedtime!! Sorry, that made me giggle.
Hope you find out what they are!

Old 02-23-2016, 08:14 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
Right, at bed time you turn off the light and ........................... bug time.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
Almost sounds like a Blind Masquito
Thank you for this suggestion! Don't fit the criteria though (near water, attracted to lighted areas at night) Seems that they can get pretty bad here in Florida. These are pics from Silver Lake / Leesburg in 2012. Here's a quote from the news article, “It's terrible. Like big balls of fire running around at night. When the lights are on, you can't breathe. They get in your throat. I'm on oxygen so you have to be careful,”

Old 02-23-2016, 11:31 PM

CindyRoos & ExpatCA- Hahaha...can't imagine why I have trouble sleeping at night!

Hey! Put those down...somewhere far, far away from here...like Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida