Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 12:50 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,010,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
My old boss( and friend) moved to Orlando area from near Janesville, WI right after college. he grew up on a farm so he likes the 'big city' of Orlando, not having to drive to Milwaukee or Chicago for a concert or to the airport. He said he doesn't understand why anyone would stay in Wisconsin and deal with the winters if they don't have to.

He has his Packers room in the house, he will never leave that part of Wisconsin. You cant find cheese curds easily either.
The Saturday Farmers Market here has cheese curds. We are 90 miles due west of Orlando, straight shot on SR 50
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 01:28 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,824,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The Saturday Farmers Market here has cheese curds. We are 90 miles due west of Orlando, straight shot on SR 50
Cheese curds are ok but I won't miss them

Old 03-08-2016, 01:32 PM

499 posts, read 580,702 times
I love reading posts like this! It's funny how you grow up & spend time in only one area and you think it's like that everywhere. In CT, it was perfectly normal to walk down the street or the sidewalk and not acknowledge someone walking the other way - you didn't even make eye contact. You may perceive this as not being friendly or being rude but it's more like showing respect and "not bothering" someone that you don't know. Like teaching your kids "don't talking to strangers" or something like that. And if you saw someone walking down the sidewalk saying "hello" to everyone, you'd be inclined to cross the street to avoid them, because you'd think they were either A) crazy, B) out to do you harm in some way, C) wanting to convert you to their religion, D) trying to sell you something, or E) asking for money.

Where I am in Florida, people are very, very friendly. My neighbors wave and say hello and the lady at the bank says "how are you" and engages in small talk. At the grocery store, people in line chat to each other and to the cashier and bagger. In CT, the cashiers would talk to each other, yelling over your head and barely acknowledge that you were even there (there were NO baggers). You'd have to interrupt them to ask a question or point out a price discrepancy. There would be shopping carts scattered all over the parking lot, never any inside, especially if it was raining/snowing or cold.

I have to agree that the lightening is a real shocker here and the heavy, heavy rain. I've NEVER experienced such severe thunderstorms as I have here and they will occur every single day in the summer. Don't even bother with an umbrella because it will only keep the top of your head dry. It won't keep your clothes, pants, and shoes dry. Just from walking from the car to the door, you can easily get soaked from head to toe - like you've just jumped into a pool. And be walking through inches of water. Then suddenly its over, the sun comes back out, and everything dries off like it never happened.

Also...what the @%#$ are cheese curds?

Old 03-08-2016, 01:40 PM

892 posts, read 850,784 times
I remember way back when I did a road trip from LA to the Tri-Cities (out in eastern Washington) to visit the father of one of my exes, I was so shocked that people waved at you that while I was bored I drove around the neighborhood, obnoxiously waving to people to just see their reactions. I remember driving past this old lady, so I put my car in reverse, waved to her, and sure enough she smiled and waved back. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I have no idea what it would be like to live in a place like that, where people wave at you, cashiers make small talk with you, etc. I've never known such a place other than brief stops off the side of the road. But at the same time I can't imagine it being a net positive or loss, who honestly cares if some stranger waves at you? lol.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:18 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,010,445 times
I'm, not sure what cheese curds are but I know what bean curd is. Maybe Cindy will explain.

Your CT experience mimics my NYC experience exactly. When I left my Brooklyn apartment to go to work I'd catch the elevator and I would usually run into one of my neighbors. An older gentleman who lived
in the building rode the elevator with me several times. I would always ask how he was doing and make a comment on the weather. He answered my query one day with "If it wasn't for the weather nobody would have anything to talk about". I never brought up the weather with him again. Just a "good day to you". It was obvious that he had no desire to chit chat.

Here my neighbors are nice folks and I know the next door neighbors and the people from a couple of different houses in the immediate area. I had recently been in the hospital for leg surgery and was home all the time. I was wheelchair bound. The fellow across the street came by to visit and assure me that if I needed anything just to let him know (he's retired and home most of the day). I already had his phone number as we exchanged them in the past. My next door neighbor stopped by a couple of times a week after work to check and see if we needed anything or if anything needed to be done.

We and other people around here wave or shout out a "how ya doing" when we see each other outside. We've all been neighbors for 10 years so these people arent strangers. We all see each other out and about a couple of times a week.

Those who tell me how unfriendly people are here always leaves me wondering about them. I find that usually they are unhappy people and obviously they give off the vibe that they are miserable so it's no surprise that people avoid them.

For the rain, get a poncho. It helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
I love reading posts like this! It's funny how you grow up & spend time in only one area and you think it's like that everywhere. In CT, it was perfectly normal to walk down the street or the sidewalk and not acknowledge someone walking the other way - you didn't even make eye contact. You may perceive this as not being friendly or being rude but it's more like showing respect and "not bothering" someone that you don't know. Like teaching your kids "don't talking to strangers" or something like that. And if you saw someone walking down the sidewalk saying "hello" to everyone, you'd be inclined to cross the street to avoid them, because you'd think they were either A) crazy, B) out to do you harm in some way, C) wanting to convert you to their religion, D) trying to sell you something, or E) asking for money.

Where I am in Florida, people are very, very friendly. My neighbors wave and say hello and the lady at the bank says "how are you" and engages in small talk. At the grocery store, people in line chat to each other and to the cashier and bagger. In CT, the cashiers would talk to each other, yelling over your head and barely acknowledge that you were even there (there were NO baggers). You'd have to interrupt them to ask a question or point out a price discrepancy. There would be shopping carts scattered all over the parking lot, never any inside, especially if it was raining/snowing or cold.

I have to agree that the lightening is a real shocker here and the heavy, heavy rain. I've NEVER experienced such severe thunderstorms as I have here and they will occur every single day in the summer. Don't even bother with an umbrella because it will only keep the top of your head dry. It won't keep your clothes, pants, and shoes dry. Just from walking from the car to the door, you can easily get soaked from head to toe - like you've just jumped into a pool. And be walking through inches of water. Then suddenly its over, the sun comes back out, and everything dries off like it never happened.

Also...what the @%#$ are cheese curds?

Old 03-08-2016, 04:42 PM

65 posts, read 55,922 times
I knew that the not speaking to people on the streets/in stores was normal in NY. I never knew about CT. Must be an east coast thing. In the area Cindy is coming from, everyone acknowledges each other. If you pass driving on a two-lane road in your car, you often wave. Is there a net value to this? I dunno. I guess if you feel happier skittering through your life not being "bothered" by having to make idle chit chat, you see no value. I will say the people I've met in central Florida do seem nicer, more courteous, friendlier.

The shopping cart issue is just pure laziness. Surely you have no other rationale?

Cindy, my husband was able to retire at 50, so we decided to give it a try. What do you have to lose? You can go home again...lots of people do every day!

Old 03-08-2016, 07:29 PM

26 posts, read 30,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
There's only so much you can learn from talking to strangers online.

How often are you down here?
The only way you can really know if it'll work for you is by spending lots of time down here not doing touristy things.

Not everyone can take time from their job to spend ***lots of time**** in one place. People asking questions of others who live in the area hope to get some idea of what it is like there. I will NEVER UNDERSTAND why some hold on to information like it is their last $5.00 bill! Pretty childish.. Are these teenage forums per chance? If so my bad. thought it was for adults.....

Old 03-08-2016, 07:35 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,824,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2floridatoo View Post
I knew that the not speaking to people on the streets/in stores was normal in NY. I never knew about CT. Must be an east coast thing. In the area Cindy is coming from, everyone acknowledges each other. If you pass driving on a two-lane road in your car, you often wave. Is there a net value to this? I dunno. I guess if you feel happier skittering through your life not being "bothered" by having to make idle chit chat, you see no value. I will say the people I've met in central Florida do seem nicer, more courteous, friendlier.

The shopping cart issue is just pure laziness. Surely you have no other rationale?

Cindy, my husband was able to retire at 50, so we decided to give it a try. What do you have to lose? You can go home again...lots of people do every day!

All of you people are lovely and I love your input and stories!!
I, myself, am a friendly person but that could come from being from the Midwest and being raised right
I"m making a note of all of the good info I have gotten and it's helping sooooooo much! I hope that when I move to Florida i have nice neighbors like you all!!

Last edited by CindyRoos; 03-08-2016 at 07:44 PM..

Old 03-08-2016, 10:14 PM

499 posts, read 580,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2floridatoo View Post

Let me clarify - I lived in CT on the NY border. We were about an hour east of NYC and considered a suburb of NYC. Many CT residents commute into NYC for work (and play) and the area is heavily influenced by the city (not necessarily in a good way).

I see TREMENDOUS value in what you are saying and I think that is the way it should be. We are all social beings and live longer, healthier lives when we have others to engage and socialize with. I love that people are so friendly here! It makes even the most mundane tasks of running errands and grocery shopping so much more pleasurable and interesting. The point I was trying to make was that I was raised (and therefore, lived) "skittering through life not being "bothered" by having to make idle chit chat." I did not know any different - it was just considered normal behavior. It's pretty pathetic and rather sad, isn't it? I am so very happy that my 3 year old will never grow up thinking that (basically) being anti-social and aloof is normal behavior. One of the many, many, many reasons why moving to Florida was the best decision we ever made.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:03 PM

874 posts, read 891,269 times
If you don't know your neighbors, start becoming friends with one of the neighbors who owns a dog. Honestly, we hear most of the neighborhood gossip, and are much more likely to be in the waving camp than not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida