Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 08:08 AM

351 posts, read 491,555 times

Advertisements

I will be moving this summer to Naples. My now-senior may be attending FGCU. I understand she will be considered a non-resident for her first year.

Once we move, I will be self-employed, own a house, have an FL drivers license, voter registration, etc. It is a 100% move with no ties to our former state. I'm not moving for the tuition. I am relocating my entire family here permanently.

My question: My daughter will still be my dependent. Can she be considered a Florida resident the second year in school? I've done some research - I think she will - just wondering if anyone has walked my path? Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 08:12 AM

17,116 posts, read 15,334,522 times
She has to show proof that she has been living legally in FL for at least 12 months. Since she's your dependent, you will need to provide something like car registration, rental agreement, utility bills, that show dates exceeding 12 months past. Depending on whom you deal with, results may vary quite a bit. I've dealt with some utter moronic ignorant folks who made the process much harder than it should be, while others were quick and efficient. Good luck.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:25 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,801,829 times
Yes, after 12 months you will be a FL resident. Since she is your dependent, as soon as you will become FL resident, your daughter will too.
There are some exceptions (when you don't need 12 months) - like employment at certain type of jobs for certain employers or being a recipient of certain grants/ scholarships or have some FL prepaid college accounts. My husband who was international students still paid in-state/ FL resident tuition (or portion of it) from day 1 since he was a recipient of certain scholarship. Check with the school for their exceptions list.
Many years ago when I just moved here, I took a year off while waiting for my residency. It was way too expensive for me to pay as out-of-state....

Old 03-02-2016, 08:42 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,685,373 times
OK.
So you'll basically need the following documents demonstrating that you've lived in FL for a year.

Drivers license/ state ID card...held one year prior to first day of class
Vehicle registration
Voter registration-- if u dont vote u can submit a deed to a house/lease agreement, etc.

Sometimes they'll wanna see taxes filed in Florida as well. Being that you'll be self-employed you'll need to make sure your taxes are filed in Florida.

Utility bills will never be used to determine residency. Just an FYI

Old 03-02-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
OK.
So you'll basically need the following documents demonstrating that you've lived in FL for a year.

Drivers license/ state ID card...held one year prior to first day of class
Vehicle registration
Voter registration-- if u dont vote u can submit a deed to a house/lease agreement, etc.

Sometimes they'll wanna see taxes filed in Florida as well. Being that you'll be self-employed you'll need to make sure your taxes are filed in Florida.

Utility bills will never be used to determine residency. Just an FYI
The bold quote isn't true at all.

From the USF website (And I actually used a utility bill for my case, FYI):

Proof of Physical Presence - Students must demonstrate they have been maintaining a residence in the state of Florida for the domicile year associated with the Request for Reclassification. Physical presence may be documented by:

- Leases, rent receipts or utility bills in the student's name
- Proof of employment

Old 03-02-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The bold quote isn't true at all.

From the USF website (And I actually used a utility bill for my case, FYI):

Proof of Physical Presence - Students must demonstrate they have been maintaining a residence in the state of Florida for the domicile year associated with the Request for Reclassification. Physical presence may be documented by:

- Leases, rent receipts or utility bills in the student's name
- Proof of employment
OK, u know better than me..... someone who works at one of the FL state universities.

OP, u heard the guy. Bring those FPL bills with u.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
OK, u know better than me..... someone who works at one of the FL state universities.

I used utility bills at 3 different state schools, since as a permanent resident, I can't vote. Lake-Sumter State College, Valencia College, and USF, and I just posted a quote directly FROM THE USF WEBSITE. Maybe you should learn the state requirements yourself, since you're apparently lacking in knowledge. What does working at a state university have to do with this? Do you work directly in that department? You could be a janitor for all we know.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:

And for further proof, since you like to argue for the sake of it, despite concrete personal experience, here you go, for the school OP has in question:

FGCU Undergraduate Admissions - Prospective Students

First Tier (at least one of the two documents submitted must be from this list):
Declaration of domicile in Florida (12 months from the date the document was sworn and subscribed as noted by the Clerk of Circuit Court)
Florida voter registration
Florida vehicle registration
Florida driver's license (if known to be held in another state previously, must have relinquished) OR a State of Florida identification card (if evidence of no ties to another state)
Proof of purchase of a permanent home in Florida that is occupied as a primary residence of the claimant
Proof of permanent full-time employment in Florida (one or more jobs for at least 30 hours per week for a 12-month period)
Transcripts from a Florida high school for multiple years (if Florida high school diploma or GED was earned within last 12 months)
Benefit histories from Florida agencies or public assistance programs.
Second Tier (may be used in conjunction with one document from First Tier):
A Florida professional or occupational license
Florida incorporation
Documents evidencing family ties in Florida
Proof of membership in Florida-based charitable or professional organizations
Any other documentation that supports the student's request for resident status
Utility bills and proof of 12 consecutive months of payment
Lease agreement and proof of 12 consecutive months of payment
State or court documents evidencing legal ties to Florida

Old 03-02-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I used utility bills at 3 different state schools, since as a permanent resident, I can't vote. Lake-Sumter State College, Valencia College, and USF, and I just posted a quote directly FROM THE USF WEBSITE. Maybe you should learn the state requirements yourself, since you're apparently lacking in knowledge. What does working at a state university have to do with this? Do you work directly in that department? You could be a janitor for all we know.
It's clear to me that your feathers were ruffled by my last comment. U poor thing. Just relax...

I work in admissions. Directly relating to in-state tuition/out-of-state tuition. Never once were utility bills ever used to consider someone for instate tuition.... it's FL drivers license, voter or vehicle registration, homestead/deed/lease agreement and or taxes filed in FL. . . . Utility bills? ha! nice try...

As someone who works behind the scenes-- I know. You don't.....

Old 03-02-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
It's clear to me that your feathers were ruffled by my last comment. U poor thing. Just relax...

I work in admissions. Directly relating to in-state tuition/out-of-state tuition. Never once were utility bills ever used to consider someone for instate tuition.... it's FL drivers license, voter or vehicle registration, homestead/deed/lease agreement and or taxes filed in FL. . . . Utility bills? ha! nice try...

As someone who works behind the scenes-- I know. You don't.....
No, apparently you don't know, despite your "I work there, so I know" claims. The requirements list on EVERY state school website clearly indicate that you CAN use utility bills.
You'd turn away a student who brings a utility billing history despite the fact that your own school website says it's an acceptable form of proof of residency? Boy you must be GREAT at your job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: