Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 09:45 AM

26,817 posts, read 43,286,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I used to think that way, but then I remembered that Publix operates outside of Florida and they aren't the number one store in those other states. More like number #4. They get plenty run for their money elsewhere and with the exception of coupon doubling (Georgia only?) and a Wednesday penny item in some markets, everything else in the store is identical to what they offer in Florida.
Which is why I think there are glimmers of hope seen by companies like Kroger and now perhaps Safeway. Both companies can address competition with Publix here in Florida through their regular format stores or through acquired higher end brands like Kroger has done with it's acquisition of Harris Teeter and now potentially Fresh Market. Also as noted Safeway in Florida is launching with a new prototype which closely mimics the new luxed-out Winn Dixies we have seen here, including in-store Starbucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 10:18 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,717,272 times
I know this is an old article (2010) and things could be different today, but Publix has beaten Kroger before. I've heard that when it comes to conventional stores, Atlanta is pretty much Kroger and Publix.

Publix takes No. 1 spot in Atlanta

Because of that, I've always thought that conventional chains operating in the south already wouldn't want to enter the Florida market when they have lost market share as Publix expanded. I assumed the only stores that would be interested in Florida would be stores from other regions like Safeway. But then BI-Lo (formerly based in SC but now in Jax) bought Winn-Dixie.

Anyway, competition is good.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:18 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,904,872 times
Isn't Safeway where you bag your own groceries and you have to bring your own bags as a cost savings. The merchandise is kept in their original boxes just cut open so shoppers can take what they need. To me Safeway is a drab looking store but then you get what you pay for, you are not at Publix.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:20 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,717,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Isn't Safeway where you bag your own groceries and you have to bring your own bags as a cost savings. The merchandise is kept in their original boxes just cut open so shoppers can take what they need. To me Safeway is a drab looking store but then you get what you pay for, you are not at Publix.
That's Save-A-Lot

And Aldi

Old 03-05-2016, 10:22 AM

892 posts, read 850,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
No it's just a regular old grocery store.

I guess competition is always good but I don't see the hype. People should really invest in themselves and go Whole Foods anyways.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:11 PM

26,817 posts, read 43,286,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post

I guess competition is always good but I don't see the hype. People should really invest in themselves and go Whole Foods anyways.
I agree 100%.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:02 PM

17,454 posts, read 38,838,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post

I agree but I would be more interested in a lower cost "Whole Foods" type store. Trader Joes' is OK, but to me overrated. The produce there is awful (at least the one down here), and too many things are frozen. I would like a similar type store with a real meat/fish counter and better produce, bulk items, more fresh items. Here in Sarasota we did get a large Amish owned grocery store last year that comes close. Maybe if Sprouts gets here that will be something interesting.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:05 PM

892 posts, read 850,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree but I would be more interested in a lower cost "Whole Foods" type store. Trader Joes' is OK, but to me overrated. The produce there is awful (at least the one down here), and too many things are frozen. I would like a similar type store with a real meat/fish counter and better produce, bulk items, more fresh items. Here in Sarasota we did get a large Amish owned grocery store last year that comes close. Maybe if Sprouts gets here that will be something interesting.
Trader Joes back in California was awful as well, it's for college students. Not for serious adults. Here in Miami when I buy groceries it's at either Whole Foods or Epicure. Produce is fresh, organic, and generally in good condition. Meats are more humane, and Whole Foods generally carries many local products and I support that. For example I buy freshly squeezed orange juice, tangerine juice, blood orange juice, or grapefruit juice (from Florida farms). I get the local soups (Stone Crab, lobster, and Conch).

Old 03-05-2016, 05:20 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,904,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
That's Save-A-Lot

And Aldi

Thank you, I stand corrected. I was thinking of Save-a-Lot

Last edited by perry335654; 03-05-2016 at 05:32 PM..

Old 03-08-2016, 01:28 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,358,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Good. I'm not a big fan of Safeway, but Publix definitely needs some competition (and Winn Dixie ain't it). However, ever since I've discovered Trader Joe's here in St Pete, bye bye Publix! So I doubt I'd shop in a Safeway anyway. Between Trader Joe's and the Fresh Market in nearby Gulfport, we're set. This is the best we've ever eaten for so little money. I mean, Joe's has some killer deals on organic, gluten free, vegetarian, all the stuff we love, and the prices are amazingly cheap. Who knew?
I agree, Trader Joe's is awesome. Good food for very reasonable prices. We don't go out to restaurants as often as before because the food from Trader Joe's tastes better for a fraction of the cost. The frozen foods are great because they are very tasty and most are very healthy as well.

I go to Sav-A-Lot for fresh meats. Their sale prices can't be beat and their meat is always super fresh and doesn't have added solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida