Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 10:20 PM

13 posts, read 57,253 times

Advertisements

Moved down here about 2 1/2 years ago...my belongings have been taken out of my cars, my garage, my yard 4 tims and I live in a "middle class" area. I do not live in a gated community, which was a big mistake on my part. I would suggest you do your homework and do not just take anyone's word for it. Look on the sheriff's websites, subscribe to the local newspapers. I am from NJ and the crime where I was born and raised is nothing like down here. I have never felt more unsafe. Also...jobs are very hard to come by. If you like contract work with no benefits and shaddy boss's than this is the place for you. Do your research!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 11:03 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorta View Post
Moved down here about 2 1/2 years ago...my belongings have been taken out of my cars, my garage, my yard 4 tims and I live in a "middle class" area. I do not live in a gated community, which was a big mistake on my part. I would suggest you do your homework and do not just take anyone's word for it. Look on the sheriff's websites, subscribe to the local newspapers. I am from NJ and the crime where I was born and raised is nothing like down here. I have never felt more unsafe. Also...jobs are very hard to come by. If you like contract work with no benefits and shaddy boss's than this is the place for you. Do your research!!!
Where are you?? The OP is speaking of Florida in general, not a specific city, so would this apply to the OP, or only if the OP chose to live in your city?

Old 02-09-2008, 11:10 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am most likely going to be looking for a rental. Either a community or an apartment on it's own but obviously I would want to be in a safe neighborhood. I am just guessing but the type of work I would be doing I would probably be making around $25,000-$30,000 a year. Although that might be a tad higher if I get a job in law enforcement.
No income tax here, so that helps. I don't think you necessarily need to make $75k a year, but $30k might be tight for many parts of FL. If you have no other debt, that will make it easier.

Apartment rentals in my city usually run at least $700 for a decent apartment in a decent part of town. Most people probably pay more like $750-$850. You can luck out and find something under $700 from time to time, but these are usually in ancient apartments with zero amenities.

Anything cheaper is usually either in a bad neighborhood or out in the boonies (where you'll spend the difference in gas commuting to get anywhere ).

Home rentals are much higher again than what I mentioned above - even a tiny bungalow can cost $1000/mo - and a decent sized house is commonly $1200 -$1500.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:14 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorta View Post
I agree. Do your homework. There's many shady businesses here hiring illegals for cheap labor who can work 60 hrs week, no questions asked.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:25 PM

497 posts, read 1,566,580 times
Well, I found a place that looks good from the reviews on apartmentratings.com It's a place in Tallahassee...

Silverleaf Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Tallahassee apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

There is not much on the web site but it does say the price...

Silverleaf (http://silverleafapts.net/index.html - broken link)

Old 02-09-2008, 11:29 PM

497 posts, read 1,566,580 times
I see it's cheap because there are no amenities like a pool or fitness center. But you can always go for walks and swim at the ocean. I am sure not having the pool and fitness room keeps a lot of riff raff from renting there too.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:27 AM

960 posts, read 1,686,436 times
I'm curious... why aren't there any pictures posted of the apartment complex you are interested in on any website?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:39 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Umm......it may not be entirely an exaggeration.

In my area of SWFL, there are now some houses in the 200k range, but some of these areas they are in are changing into rental communities. So it wouldn't be too surprising to find a meth lab next to your new 200k house.

If you can get a home in a gated community for around 200k, you're doing good and in some areas, gated communities are the only way to go.

If you are looking for a low crime area, I'd suggest north Florida. Although I don't live in that area, I understand it's more "affordable" and "safer" than other areas of Florida.

LewLew, Sarasota County was trying to build suitable "affordable" housing for nurses, teachers and cops but plans have been put on hold. Most of the nurses and teachers who moved here in the last 6 years rent and can't afford to own a home.

BTW OP, I would never leave such a beautiful state such as Maine. Maine is truly beautiful!
I agree with you. Maine is a beautiful state. But you know what? You can't eat scenery. In order to live people need jobs. And the granola types now running Maine (and have been the past 35 years) are doing all in their power to drive businesses out that they don't consider "green." At one time people with a high school education and even less could make a decent living for their families working in the paper industry, shipbuilding, shoe manufacturing, textiles and other manufacturing jobs. Those businesses have largely been driven out by high taxes, oppressive regulations, high health insurance costs and high costs of energy. Regarding the latter the granolas pushed and pushed until they forced the closure of Maine's only nuclear power plant. They blocked the developement of hydroelectric power. They blocked the building of LNG (liquid natural gas) terminals. Nationally our senators and representatives have voted against every attempt at energy independence proposed, including drilling in ANWR--a God-forsaken piece of real estate if ever there was one. And how's this for irony? Now the state is negotiating with Canada's maritime provinces to buy electricity from them. Guess how they produce their electric power? Hydroelectric and nuclear. What hypocrisy!

Petertherock, I'll be sorry to see you go because we share the same perspective on Maine. But rest assured, I won't be far behind.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:55 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I would recommend Lakeland and other towns in Polk County which is in central Florida. Beautiful, safe and low-cost compared to other areas. More job opportunities too, with more on the horizon when they build the new CSX transfer facility in Winter Haven.

Lots of big distribution centers here and other large corporate headquarters. You might come check it out, you will be pleasantly surprised!

Old 02-10-2008, 10:32 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am most likely going to be looking for a rental. Either a community or an apartment on it's own but obviously I would want to be in a safe neighborhood. I am just guessing but the type of work I would be doing I would probably be making around $25,000-$30,000 a year. Although that might be a tad higher if I get a job in law enforcement.
I am confused. First you ask about $75K. Earning $75K a year is doable around here (Fort Lauderdale area). $25-$30K would be tougher although not impossible. You would need roomates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida