Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 08:26 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
UPL. Right now I wouldn't invest in them, your last best shot was super Tuesday
UPS. The company not a stock, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 08:27 PM

892 posts, read 859,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
UPS. The company not a stock, etc.
Why would you go into UPS? I cannot even imagine how much work for how little pay ratio that is.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:26 PM

9 posts, read 7,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Why would you go into UPS? I cannot even imagine how much work for how little pay ratio that is.
I worked at UPS seasonal. The pay was $11.00 and overtime was $16.75 or something like that. It wouldnt have been that ****ty if the management wasnt stupid and actually cared.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Can you drive a truck,if so theres plenty of jobs=
https://www.google.ca/#q=truck+drivi...tampa+bay+area

Old 03-08-2016, 08:33 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Can you drive a truck,if so theres plenty of jobs=
https://www.google.ca/#q=truck+drivi...tampa+bay+area
You would need a CDL.. costs money to get certified.

I know here in Jacksonville you can get an entry level job at Citibank call center. Its a starting point and pay is decent and benefits; it would give you some experience in banking and finance, which is a big sector is all the larger Florida cities. I know Orlando and Tampa have call center type jobs as well. However you are literally chained to you desk via headset. Its not digging ditches but it can drive you crazy. Good experience for someone without education, certitications etc.

I would also suggest cheking out usajobs.gov. All federal jobs go thru there from Physicians to grocery clerks at the commisaries on Military Bases. You can filter by location, job etc. A grocery clerk if I recall starts around $13.00/hour and it s a federal job with benefits

Old 03-08-2016, 08:37 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerok View Post
Why are you talking about mcdonalds? You guys are acting like theres no jobs at all.
Just a reference to a usual low paying job that anybody who can breathe could get.

Check the major job search sites. I recommend https://www.employflorida.com/vosnet/Default.aspx

and CareerOneStop ReEmployment Portal - Florida Worker Reemployment Resources

By checking these sites you can get an idea of what is available and pay rates .

Old 03-08-2016, 08:48 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post

I know here in Jacksonville you can get an entry level job at Citibank call center. Its a starting point and pay is decent and benefits; it would give you some experience in banking and finance, which is a big sector is all the larger Florida cities. I know Orlando and Tampa have call center type jobs as well. However you are literally chained to you desk via headset. Its not digging ditches but it can drive you crazy. Good experience for someone without education, certitications etc.

I would also suggest cheking out usajobs.gov. All federal jobs go thru there from Physicians to grocery clerks at the commisaries on Military Bases. You can filter by location, job etc. A grocery clerk if I recall starts around $13.00/hour and it s a federal job with benefits
I second this. While in college, I did a brief stint at a company called Alorica. They have offices everywhere. Starting pay was $12.02/hr + commission. I couldn't stand the work, and frankly, I sucked at it, so I didn't last long, and vowed to never work a call center again, but some of the workers had been there for years and were making a somewhat decent income for the type of work it was.
The place has a giant revolving door so they're ALWAYS hiring. I'd check with them if you don't mind that type of work.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:10 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post

Lots of employment opportunity once you get that CDL. might be worth the investment to our op.=Cost of CDL Training at Florida Truck Driving Schools

Old 03-12-2016, 09:08 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
To the OP....there are jobs available in the state and some do pay well, but the majority do not. The average living wage for an individual in most well-populated areas of the state is around $17 an hour and on average there are around a dozen applicants for every job paying at that rate or above. And the illusion that you're going to find suitable housing for less than $600 a month and support yourself anywhere near comfortably at one $10-$12 an hour job is at best delusional. There are very few employers in the sub $17 per hour range that will even offer full-time employment (30+ hours a week) due to the fact that they would be required to offer benefits such as health insurance. It's pretty well-documented with companies like Domino's, Papa John's and Jimmy John's how far ownership will go to avoid having to offer employee benefits. Read the stats in the attached article to get a glimpse of the reality of the Florida job market.

Report: 64% of Florida job openings pay less than living wage | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida