Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 07:27 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times

Advertisements

If you like more a big city then Tampa, or if you prefer a more suburban place then Sarasota. You will not have as much year around warm weather, but it is about the second best. I prefer Bradenton, although it is smaller, yet between Tampa and Sarasota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 07:28 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
You say "redneck area" like it's a bad thing.
Having spent A LOT of time in the Tampa/St-Pete areas while in college and after getting my first job out of school, I don't see how Greater Tampa can be labeled as "redneck backwoods." It's a mix of urban/suburban, with a few pockets of country in the far outlying areas.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:43 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Having spent A LOT of time in the Tampa/St-Pete areas while in college and after getting my first job out of school, I don't see how Greater Tampa can be labeled as "redneck backwoods." It's a mix of urban/suburban, with a few pockets of country in the far outlying areas.

I had the same thought.

I am from Jacksonville and there are some more "redneck" areas but really most of the metro area is suburban, not much different than places like Altamonte Springs or Lake Mary

Someone who thinks that Southern accent=redneck would think most of Jax is redneck.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:48 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It's not redneck/backwoods at all. But even if it was...

I have family who live in the REAL backwoods areas of GA, and it's such a wonderful place - actually. Down home, nice people everywhere. My wife and I even considered packing up the business and the kids and moving there.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:23 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
It's not redneck/backwoods at all. But even if it was...

I have family who live in the REAL backwoods areas of GA, and it's such a wonderful place - actually. Down home, nice people everywhere. My wife and I even considered packing up the business and the kids and moving there.
I have a friend who used to live in Blairsville. I went there somewhat skeptical as to what to expect (I'm not white, and would be the furthest thing from redneck even if I were). You are right. It was a wonderful place. People were ALL extremely friendly, and the place had a sense of community that I haven't found elsewhere.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:02 PM

26 posts, read 23,649 times
Thank you all for the input! We need to spend a little more time in these areas to get a better feel of what would be a good fit. I don't know if "redneck" equals an automatic out, as long as there isn't major racial tension, backwards thinking or lack of tolerance. Or is that what you mean by redneck?

My husband and I are liberal, for the most part. Both educated, came from economically lower/middle class background. Mid-western work ethic. So maybe you can understand why Miami has lost some of its appeal to us as we raise our family. I'm not into the facade that so many people here live behind, placing more value on looking wealthy rather than giving to the community or being conscious in how they choose to live. And Miami is just so sprawled out, there isn't much of a community feel. The nearest playground requires crossing US1 and the number of hit and runs here is just unbelievable. People just don't care about each other here.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:10 PM

Also, other South Florida areas could be an option. But we have no desire to live in Orlando.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:41 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble_bee View Post
Thank you all for the input! We need to spend a little more time in these areas to get a better feel of what would be a good fit. I don't know if "redneck" equals an automatic out, as long as there isn't major racial tension, backwards thinking or lack of tolerance. Or is that what you mean by redneck?

My husband and I are liberal, for the most part. Both educated, came from economically lower/middle class background. Mid-western work ethic. So maybe you can understand why Miami has lost some of its appeal to us as we raise our family. I'm not into the facade that so many people here live behind, placing more value on looking wealthy rather than giving to the community or being conscious in how they choose to live. And Miami is just so sprawled out, there isn't much of a community feel. The nearest playground requires crossing US1 and the number of hit and runs here is just unbelievable. People just don't care about each other here.
Most of Florida is very sprawly, Jacksonville Beaches( Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach and Atlantic Beach especially. Ponte Vedra Beach is more sprawly, no real downtown, business are all in shopping centers etc) have a small town feel. There is just not room to sprawl on barrier islands.

Many beach towns maintain the small town feel. What is nice about the Jax beaches you have access to larger city amenities and a decent airport

Jacksonville skews conservative but you can find diverse politics in surprising places. Most people wont really care about your politics if you are a good neighbor, friendly and not a jerk and don't try and convert them to you point of view because they are stupid etc.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:46 AM

892 posts, read 859,713 times
Miami Beach also has a great community feel, is walkable and has all the amenities on the Beach. I go to my doctors here, my dentists here, do most of my shopping here, most of my nightlife here, all within walking distance or a very short uber. There are museums here, art galleries, indy movie theaters, etc.

There is also a definitely small-town feel, I recognize people everyday, but at the same time there is enough transience and tourists here to always have a fresh face. Honestly it's the best of both worlds. There are spots where 'everyone knows your name' and spots you're a complete stranger.

There is a school here, with playground. Don't know how good it is, I assume not very but maybe I'm wrong.

I don't know your budget, it's definitely one of the most expensive areas of Florida for a SFH, but I think it will strike the notes you desire in lifestyle.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Miami Beach also has a great community feel, is walkable and has all the amenities on the Beach. I go to my doctors here, my dentists here, do most of my shopping here, most of my nightlife here, all within walking distance or a very short uber. There are museums here, art galleries, indy movie theaters, etc.

There is also a definitely small-town feel, I recognize people everyday, but at the same time there is enough transience and tourists here to always have a fresh face. Honestly it's the best of both worlds. There are spots where 'everyone knows your name' and spots you're a complete stranger.

There is a school here, with playground. Don't know how good it is, I assume not very but maybe I'm wrong.

I don't know your budget, it's definitely one of the most expensive areas of Florida for a SFH, but I think it will strike the notes you desire in lifestyle.
Sadly, we can't afford Miami Beach. If we could afford to live there, Coconut Grove (the nicer area), the Gables, Brickell or even Pinecrest, we would be pretty happy here. But as it stands, the value isn't here for us. Miami's coat of living is so high and the return isn't on par with the cost, IMO. Maybe if we were wealthy (or without kids) it would be another story. But we're just a typical family with an old $265k house in the nicest area of Miami we could afford... which isn't awful, but just part of the sprawl (unincorporated Dade county) with no sense of community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida