Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 08:27 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queldorei View Post
Someone told me about how she is a server and a bartender, and makes enough to live on (she works at a taphouse in Wisconsin). She said it's what she wants to do forever. She's not worried about not having benefits, because she makes enough to buy her own insurances.

Is it a good idea for someone who is interested in moving to Florida to do? Someone who, specifically, has no intention of having children or getting a house; so no mortgage ever, only have to ever worry about myself.

I'm pretty young, so I'd like to hear what more mature people have to say about it.
There's an old saying "I had all kinds of plans and then life happened"

Who's to say you won't find Mr. Right, get married and change your mind about children, a house, etc.

My advice: Get an education or go to trade school. Having a long term goal of being a bartender or server is setting you up for long term financial struggle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 08:32 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I worked as a server all over South Florida for years. It's not higher class restaurants that add on gratuity automatically. Almost the opposite. It's the location, and really just Miami Beach that does this as well as Bayside. Almost all restaurants have a tip-out, that's irrelevant. I've never actually seen one where most workers, even new ones, were part time and only lunch. There is a million restaurants, go find one that works for you.

Serving is a bit cutthroat. It's not for everyone. I would definitely go apply at decent restaurants, nothing high end. I know decent restaurants that don't necessarily care about experience, it's about personality. You can also make up a previous job. Find a restaurant that closed recently in your area and put that on your resume. Yup, I'm advising to make it up. Welcome to the restaurant biz.

As for tourists not tipping. I worked at a restaurant at Sawgrass. The ONLY time I wasn't tipped was a black group, local. But that wasn't the norm. And although I had a few tourists leave 5% - 10% tips, it was rare. I always averaged out around 20%.
Making up something on your resume or application? That's TERRIBLE advice. Don't do it.
If by chance it's caught (lots of people in the service industry know eachother) not only will you be embarrassed, but you'll also be terminated.
Never falsify your resume, it's just a bad idea.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:28 AM

171 posts, read 165,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Making up something on your resume or application? That's TERRIBLE advice. Don't do it.
If by chance it's caught (lots of people in the service industry know eachother) not only will you be embarrassed, but you'll also be terminated.
Never falsify your resume, it's just a bad idea.

Damn, I didn't catch that part about him telling me to make up a job. That's definitely not going to happen for me.

As for you last advice, school isn't an option for me. It's just not, for reasons that don't need to be explained.

I definitely intend to find Mr. Right, but still, no children, ever. I've been saying I never want children since I was a kid myself. I cannot explain how repulsive the thought of myself having children is to me without possibly offending parents who might see this thread. I just know it's not going to happen.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:53 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,919 times
You are moving from a different State. Nobody will know anyone who would have worked at the restaurant. Sorry, but I stand by my advice. You can not get a job and struggle/suffer or you can get out there and do what you need to do. I've known plenty who have made up experience in the restaurant biz to get into better restaurants and they did fine. Not saying you should start with that approach, but if you are getting turned down for lack of experience.... then you do what you need to do. Experience is overrated, especially if you are applying at mid level restaurants where having extensive wine/drink knowledge doesn't matter one bit.

I know a guy, years ago, who made up all sorts of experience with wine. Sommelier school in France. He got in at Smith & Wollensky in Miami Beach and did fine. He just read a few good books on wine before trying that, though, so he had decent knowledge.

Do what you need to do or feel comfortable doing. But realize that the restaurant business is a bit cutthroat and not for people who aren't willing to push a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida