Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 06:23 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times

Advertisements

Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 08:11 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Problem is like anyplace else, only a small % of the population actually does the activities you mentioned. Sure it's easy to go to the beach, but there is a lot of people who never go to the beach in FL and do not care for it. All that stuff doesn't matter, and there was a large population in the state that could careless about those things. People are active in SoFLa, but not even close to here from what I saw so far. Far more better bike lanes and people riding bikes, better terrain for biking, driving and riding motorcycles. The micro climates are also nice, more diversity overall. Don't get me wrong, FL has a lot I loved, but it's not the natural stuff that pay's the bills.
What % of people in CA actually hike on the mountains or care about that? Very small % there too.

Where is here? CA?

Some people don't care about the beach, some people don't care about hiking, biking or other stuff..everyone's different. But we can't claim one state is better than another because it has mountains and better hiking or whatever. People get a lot of mileage on that(mountains in CA vs FL being flat). Each place has its pros and cons.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:03 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I used to think FL was so flat and boring. Having lived in CA, I was used to those breathtaking mountain and cliffside vistas. Until I moved here to the Gulf Coast of FL near Anna Maria Island. Walking through the mangrove forest on the trails at Desoto Park, then suddenly you're facing the beach and glass-like water of the bay ....walking through Robinson Preserve with its beautiful native plants and wildlife....the pure white sand and turquoise water at any of the beaches on Anna Maria Island....Longboat Key and its perfectly manicured landscapes....the skyline of Sarasota at night....and much, much more. It's a different kind of beauty....but beauty nonetheless. Especially at this time of year (April, May)....paradise.
Far from boring.. those who complain haven't looked or know the state well enough.

Try visiting Emerson Point Preserve too (if you haven't yet)..

https://www.mymanatee.org/home/gover...son-point.html

Old 04-20-2016, 10:58 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Funny, we always said the same thing about people from New York, they didn't like it so they left, moved to SoFla and never shut up about it, the Yankees, 9/11 and everything in between and those accents, mainly Long Island, like running your nails over a chalkboard. As much as I love the good things that come out of NY much leaves little to be desired. Won't miss the rude, in your face and obnoxious group that plagues SoFla, that much we did not like.
I am a transplant from NYC. Even 27 years ago, when I relocated, I never had a desire to live south of Ft. Pierce because of the dense population of metro NYC residents. I know that many of them brought exactly what I wanted to get away from. Maybe that is why I've always enjoyed FL. I stayed away from the high density.

As far as 9-11, New Yorker's who watched those buildings go up or ever pressed their noses against a window on the 101st floor, worked in those buildings or attended an event or had a meal on the 106th or 107th floor, I've done all three, you would understand the reason for chatter about it. Not to forget the 2.753 people who died that day and the 1400 + who have died as a result of that day or the fact that it was the worst attack on the U.S. since Pearl Harbor.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:22 PM

499 posts, read 586,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I am a transplant from NYC. Even 27 years ago, when I relocated, I never had a desire to live south of Ft. Pierce because of the dense population of metro NYC residents. I know that many of them brought exactly what I wanted to get away from. Maybe that is why I've always enjoyed FL. I stayed away from the high density.

As far as 9-11, New Yorker's who watched those buildings go up or ever pressed their noses against a window on the 101st floor, worked in those buildings or attended an event or had a meal on the 106th or 107th floor, I've done all three, you would understand the reason for chatter about it. Not to forget the 2.753 people who died that day and the 1400 + who have died as a result of that day or the fact that it was the worst attack on the U.S. since Pearl Harbor.
Amen to that! WE WILL NEVER FORGET...and if that bothers you...F*** off!

Old 04-20-2016, 11:08 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post

High humidity makes the place green and lush vs brown and arid in CA. Bugs are a product of nature, part of biodiversity(FL is subtropical/tropical, bugs were here before us).
Doesn't really matter if bugs were here before us. One place (Calif.) has far fewer bugs than the other (Fla). Bugs are a nuisance and outdoor living is more pleasant with fewer of them around.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Far from boring.. those who complain haven't looked or know the state well enough.

Try visiting Emerson Point Preserve too (if you haven't yet)..

https://www.mymanatee.org/home/gover...son-point.html
I find the keys and the parks on Key Biscayne more impressive/stunning than Emerson Point.

Quote:
What % of people in CA actually hike on the mountains or care about that? Very small % there too.

Some people don't care about the beach, some people don't care about hiking, biking or other stuff..everyone's different. But we can't claim one state is better than another because it has mountains and better hiking or whatever. People get a lot of mileage on that(mountains in CA vs FL being flat). Each place has its pros and cons.
It's not just about mountains. Florida does one thing very well: warm/beautiful beaches (at a relatively affordable price).

California is a category killer of a state. It offers a mind blowing variety of cities, landscapes and climates.

-Beaches, mountains, deserts, etc.
-Multiple climate zones.
-The highest point in the continental U.S. & the lowest point in North America (only 109 miles apart).

I would argue the sheer variety and depth of what Calif. offers does make it "better" but that does not mean Fla. is bad.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:28 AM

892 posts, read 859,393 times
The states Oregon, Washington, and Alaska also have mountains and beaches. But they don't have everything, because they have cold water beaches. Those pictures are nice until you stop and realize that you won't be swimming inside the water.

Some pictures of Florida:

Old 04-21-2016, 08:42 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Both states are beautiful, but California is definitely more scenic.

There is no question about that as someone who has lived between California and Florida for many years and multiple times.

However, California is better as a tourist than a resident (in my opinion). The cities are fun to visit in California, but if you want to live there, the traffic and housing expenses are out of control. You will end up paying a lot of money for an ugly old house. You have to hide all your belongings in the car because someone will break-in. You have to deal with hordes of homeless people everywhere. You have to deal with high income taxes, fees etc. The coastline is beautiful, but the cold water temperature and rip currents make it only useable for hardcore surfers.

Overall, both states are great, but I'd easily choose Florida for living and California for visiting.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Both states are beautiful, but California is definitely more scenic.
I agree. Both are nice but Calif. is more scenic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

However, California is better as a tourist than a resident (in my opinion). The cities are fun to visit in California, but if you want to live there, the traffic and housing expenses are out of control. You will end up paying a lot of money for an ugly old house. You have to hide all your belongings in the car because someone will break-in. You have to deal with hordes of homeless people everywhere. You have to deal with high income taxes, fees etc. The coastline is beautiful, but the cold water temperature and rip currents make it only useable for hardcore surfers.
Yes, generally speaking coastal California is more expensive than coastal Florida. Also, I agree from what I've seen there are more homeless in California (LA/San Fran).

I don't agree about crime/car break-ins...plenty of crime in Fla. And if you want to talk about homicide rates (a far more serious crime), California is lower than Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida