Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2016, 03:48 PM

24,403 posts, read 26,946,756 times

Advertisements

Laying on the beach right now in 80 degree weather with a nice ocean temperature around 80 degrees. The bottom of the ocean 100% pure soft sand. Yeah, I'll take this over California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 12:52 PM

44 posts, read 48,077 times
Florida

Old 05-07-2016, 04:32 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Laying on the beach right now in 80 degree weather with a nice ocean temperature around 80 degrees. The bottom of the ocean 100% pure soft sand. Yeah, I'll take this over California.
I just got out of nice 90 degree pool water. 80 degree water is way too cold for me.

Glad you enjoyed the beach, water and day. Florida is AWESOME!

Old 05-07-2016, 07:17 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
That is simply misinformation. An individual pays state income tax based on where one lives, works and earns their income .... not where the main office of one's company is located. Perhaps you are thinking about where a company pays their corporate taxes, which is different than individual income tax.
This is true. One pays tax based on the state they live in. If anyone has experienced that it is me. I worked for Delta Airlines which is based in Atlanta. I have been based in several states, and paid income tax to those states not Georgia.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:23 PM

38 posts, read 35,914 times
When I was poor I couldn't afford California so I chose Florida.

When I was middle class I couldn't make any money in California due to what I consider over-regulation, so I chose Florida.

Now that I sold my company I can't stomach 12% state income taxes vs zero, so I choose Florida.

I love San Diego, would have no problem paying a substantially higher overall COL versus Florida. But when you start talking about double-digit income taxes, I'm out.

California is the most beautiful chunk of land in human civilization, IMO. But it was ruined by Californians, IMO.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:29 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gassyyoungman View Post

When I was middle class I couldn't make any money in California due to what I consider over-regulation, so I chose Florida.

Now that I sold my company I can't stomach 12% state income taxes vs zero, so I choose Florida.

I love San Diego, would have no problem paying a substantially higher overall COL versus Florida. But when you start talking about double-digit income taxes, I'm out.

California is the most beautiful chunk of land in human civilization, IMO. But it was ruined by Californians, IMO.
Twp clarifications.

1. Ruined by people moving in over the last 40 plus years. (Note I was born there in far better times)
2. Ruined by those people voting.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:05 PM

827 posts, read 659,871 times
Florida no question about it, I want nothing to do with California.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:14 PM

25,729 posts, read 12,800,389 times
If it were not for the politics and taxes of Cali, then Cali would be #1, but otherwise FLA is #1.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:27 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,742,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg4me View Post
Hi,

I've been contemplating either moving to Florida or California. I know the weather between the two are different and the summers can be unbearable in Florida. California has great weather for the most part, however, California is so darn expensive.

I checked and since Florida has no income tax I would bring home a little over $600 per month more in my paycheck and the cost of living is cheaper.

California i would lose $600 monthly and taxes are higher but the weather is gorgeous and I have family out there so I'm back and forth with my decision.

In Florida I could afford to live either on or very close to the beach. California would be impossible financially.

What would your choices be and for what reasons?

Thank you
Theresa
Florida. I don’t really think the summers are that bad. My dog did, but as a human I think it was fine

Old 08-17-2019, 05:31 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,742,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gassyyoungman View Post

I’d say California was second most beautiful, Hawaii probably number one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida