Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 02:13 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,706,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Some will live with the delusions of bad schools, low wages, horrible weather, lousy drivers, lack of any opportunity forever while the rest of Floridians will take advantage of the opportunities.
Really? Then why do so many Floridians move to Seattle? Florida is #5 in states moving to Seattle and you have to really want to move to come that far. These are people that live in Florida and have no illusions about the schools, wages, drivers or opportunity they are leaving. I'm quite tired of seeing Florida plates.

Florida is filled with retirees because it is cheap and sunny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 02:27 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famalam View Post
Yup, soo true these boomers pay $45k into social security lifetime and expect $500k payouts. Pissening
If you retire at age 66 in 2016, and were a high wage earner, your maximum benefit would be $2,629 a month. You would have to live until 81 to collect $500k. The average yearly SS benefit is less than 20,000 a year so it would take the average retiree 25 years (age 91) to get $500k.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
If you retire at age 66 in 2016, and were a high wage earner, your maximum benefit would be $2,629 a month. You would have to live until 81 to collect $500k. The average yearly SS benefit is less than 20,000 a year so it would take the average retiree 25 years (age 91) to get $500k.
Yet one heart bypass, maybe a hip surgery and they've spent all their Medicare contribution and still live another 25 years, sucking up medical coverage.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Really? Then why do so many Floridians move to Seattle? Florida is #5 in states moving to Seattle and you have to really want to move to come that far. These are people that live in Florida and have no illusions about the schools, wages, drivers or opportunity they are leaving. I'm quite tired of seeing Florida plates.

Florida is filled with retirees because it is cheap and sunny.
Maybe you missed it but less than 20 % of the FL population are retirees.

Someone earning $50k a year in Orlando would need $71k a year or a 42% increase in income to maintain the same standard of living.

Home Price in Orlando metro area $287,272.22 - in the Seattle metro area $548,187.00

Where do you get your #5 statistic from?

Have you ever been to Seattle?

Old 04-07-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Yet one heart bypass, maybe a hip surgery and they've spent all their Medicare contribution and still live another 25 years, sucking up medical coverage.
Yeah? What about it? It's a benefit of growing old in the USA or you can just be an illegal alien and get the same thing.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Nope, we don't all feel that way. This woman was disgusting and out of line. To disrupt and speak to someone this way in public is uncivil and just rude.

And honestly, her complaints were nothing more than "I want free stuff, you are making it harder to get free stuff from the government, wah wah"
Before serving two terms as a Lake Worth City Commissioner, Cara Jennings, was one of the founding members of the “Radical Cheerleaders,” a mostly female group of protesters for a variety of political causes.
How could we expect more?

Old 04-07-2016, 02:48 PM

892 posts, read 859,294 times
Quote:
They worked their entire lives, paid taxes, and played by the rules. Calling them 'takers' is like calling someone who got in an accident and totaled his car and accepting more insurance money than he paid into his policy. It's not 'taking', it's how insurance works.

Taking is when you don't work, pay little in taxes your entire life, and live life by who will give you the highest benefits for essentially being worthless on society.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:50 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,335 times
Quote:
Yeah? What about it? It's a benefit of growing old in the USA or you can just be an illegal alien and get the same thing.

I'm with you Spring Hillian......it's shocks me how thoughtless some of these people are when they talk about what seniors are "getting". Really??
What did allot of these seniors give besides paying their taxes? Most of them gave their blood, sweat and tears!!
Maybe they'll change their tune when they get old. Hell, I'm not that old yet but I sure the heck know that when I retire I'll be worried if I will have enough money to make it without starving.......
Geeeeeeeez

Old 04-07-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Maybe you missed it but less than 20 % of the FL population are retirees.

Someone earning $50k a year in Orlando would need $71k a year or a 42% increase in income to maintain the same standard of living.

Home Price in Orlando metro area $287,272.22 - in the Seattle metro area $548,187.00

Where do you get your #5 statistic from?

Have you ever been to Seattle?
I live here. Newcomers arriving in record numbers, but from where? | The Seattle Times

Seattle doesn't have enough houses for all the people moving here. We literally don't have enough houses. And I'm tired of seeing Florida plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I'm with you Spring Hillian......it's shocks me how thoughtless some of these people are when they talk about what seniors are "getting". Really??
What did allot of these seniors give besides paying their taxes? Most of them gave their blood, sweat and tears!!
Maybe they'll change their tune when they get old. Hell, I'm not that old yet but I sure the heck know that when I retire I'll be worried if I will have enough money to make it without starving.......
Geeeeeeeez
I don't begrudge your retirement, go ahead and retire. But I don't see why I should pay for your health coverage when all you've contributed is 13%-41% of what you'll take in benefits for Medicare alone. When you've spent your contribution, go buy insurance, that's the way it should work.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:00 PM

892 posts, read 859,294 times
Quote:
I live here. Newcomers arriving in record numbers, but from where? | The Seattle Times

Seattle doesn't have enough houses for all the people moving here. We literally don't have enough houses. And I'm tired of seeing Florida plates.
If this is becoming a *** measuring contest,

Florida grew by 7.82% from 2010 to 2015 while Washington State grew by 6.63% in that same period. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...on_growth_rate

A lot of your growth is fueled by tech, and Californians escaping a high COL. Florida's growth is fueled by northerners escaping cold and wanting to be on a beach. It's hard to say which is better than the other, but without jobs your growth rate would be lower even still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida