Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2016, 10:40 AM

782 posts, read 759,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Save me the time and Google "San Diego road rage" and take a read on the dozens of related incidents.

Perhaps during your 20 minutes on the road each day you are oblivious to what happens there.
I'm talking from experience, not what is on the Internet because it must be true then. Cost of car insurance speaks in volumes. I also live in North County, which is around 30 miles from downtown San Diego.

I've lived and drove in several major metro areas, nothing has yet matched SoFla for the a-hole factor, the further south you go the meter goes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 10:42 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Perhaps during your 20 minutes on the road each day you are oblivious to what happens there.
One could say the same for those who are oblivious to the kind of driving that goes on in South FL.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:44 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
I'm talking from experience, not what is on the Internet because it must be true then. Cost of car insurance speaks in volumes. I also live in North County, which is around 30 miles from downtown San Diego.
Agreed. Experience trumps all. Which is why you may have 5 out of every 100 people say driving in South FL isn't bad.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:47 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I'm doing the same taking the bus quite alot. Of course no one in Lakeland understands why anyone would take a bus. Pretty sad I think. Yes most definitely there are reasons why driving is so bad here. It is terrifying to walk here, especially crossing wide surface streets. I do walk alot here. I can't let the ignorance here impact my life here. I want and need to walk. I do think the state needs to grow up and take responsibility. Crack down on the driver's here. Instead of making it so obvious. Only the revenue from traffic cameras tickets seems to be important to this state. Driving here is very dangerous. I actually find driving in LA easier. Perhaps because traffic flows better, and much better fwy and surface Street system.
It is true that the revenue from tickets appears to be more important in Florida than any safety issues. Not just unconstitutional high-profit camera tickets either.

In SoFla, the HOV lane is half-empty during much of the time. Every morning there are tons of cops pulling single person cars over and ticketing them, and the fines are expensive. Meanwhile, nobody is obeying the law in the other 4 lanes, but cops don't do anything. I asked a couple of cop friends about it, as it seems so senseless. They said the orders come straight from the top--the governor's office--to prioritize the high revenue HOV lane tickets, and the the cops think it as stupid as we do.

The legislature for years refused to make texting while driving illegal, despite the numerous accidents, injuries and fatalities it causes. They finally made it illegal, but only as a secondary offense--not in and of itself.

There was a movement in the legislature at one time to make the interstates' left lanes for passing only in order to alleviate road rage and accidents due to slow moving people in the left hand lane (by drivers who are either brain-dead or inconsiderate control freaks--take your pick) and also because it-duh-makes sense. This was vetoed by the legislature and governor.

Florida's legislature and governor are determined to keep Florida a dangerous and obnoxious state to drive in, despite anyone's or any group's attempt to change the laws favoring safety and rationality. But that's ok, because you can have as many guns in your vehicle as you want, in case you get pissed off at other drivers.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:47 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Quote:
The links are to major news sources. They are not opinions of somebody on a forum.

Now you state you dont drive in San Diego!

Old 04-17-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Agreed. Experience trumps all. Which is why you may have 5 out of every 100 people say driving in South FL isn't bad.
I'm sure my Dr. would say your BP dropped and overall you health and mental state are improved greatly, since ending my daily 2 hour commute in SoFla, my wife can tell, I can tell a big difference, I would often have some real bad commutes, I tried hard to put on my a-hole avoidance system, a few times I got lucky and had a decent commute, but it was rare. The amount of cars on the road in SoFla all hours of the day can boggle your mind, I was asked by people visiting for business or friends, what all these people were doing on the roads during normal working hours, it was hard to explain. I said well a lot of people do not work in the area, not just the retired age range but young people with families. Sure you get a lot of tourists, but the areas I lived, worked and frequented were not typical tourist locations.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It is true that the revenue from tickets appears to be more important in Florida than any safety issues. Not just unconstitutional high-profit camera tickets either.

In SoFla, the HOV lane is half-empty during much of the time. Every morning there are tons of cops pulling single person cars over and ticketing them, and the fines are expensive. Meanwhile, nobody is obeying the law in the other 4 lanes, but cops don't do anything. I asked a couple of cop friends about it, as it seems so senseless. They said the orders come straight from the top--the governor's office--to prioritize the high revenue HOV lane tickets, and the the cops think it as stupid as we do.

The legislature for years refused to make texting while driving illegal, despite the numerous accidents, injuries and fatalities it causes. They finally made it illegal, but only as a secondary offense--not in and of itself.

There was a movement in the legislature at one time to make the interstates' left lanes for passing only in order to alleviate road rage and accidents due to slow moving people in the left hand lane (by drivers who are either brain-dead or inconsiderate control freaks--take your pick) and also because it-duh-makes sense. This was vetoed by the legislature and governor.

Florida's legislature and governor are determined to keep Florida a dangerous and obnoxious state to drive in, despite anyone's or any group's attempt to change the laws favoring safety and rationality. But that's ok, because you can have as many guns in your vehicle as you want, in case you get pissed off at other drivers.

incorrect

"Drivers going 10 mph slower than the speed limit who don’t get out of the way of approaching vehicles can be ticketed $60 and hit with a 3-point moving violation, according to one small part of a transportation bill that goes into effect Monday, July 1.

The overall bill makes changes to the way the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles administers many programs and was signed into law June 13 by the governor."

That was in 2013

Old 04-17-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
The links are to major news sources. They are not opinions of somebody on a forum.

Now you state you dont drive in San Diego!
Yes, I have driven in San Diego 78, 15, 5, I also drive in North San Diego County daily, nothing comparable to SoFla yet. LA though is a not a fun place to drive.

Since you insist on internet sources, here you go and yes I have first hand experienced some of this aside from actual shooting, I have been nearly run off the road a few times, had cars come inches from my bumper and people hanging out yelling and screaming with threats of "I'm going to kill you $#%#$".

I do not know why you are defending SoFla when you live in Spring Hill? Not even one in the same, might as well be a different country.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sout...w=1366&bih=633

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCAjfuLcvQ8

Old 04-17-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
One could say the same for those who are oblivious to the kind of driving that goes on in South FL.
I am not stating it is all peaches and cream ANYWHERE but I am saying that it is just as bad, if not worse in all major metros in the U.S.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:11 AM

892 posts, read 859,497 times
Quote:
Cost of car insurance speaks in volumes.
Florida is a "No-Fault" state, meaning insurance will naturally be higher than states who are not "No-Fault."

Do you know another state that is "No-Fault"? One is Michigan, and at least the Detroit area has far higher insurance premiums than Miami.

Quote:
The average annual premium in the Motor City in 2012 was an obscene $5,941, which is caused by high rates of unemployment, uninsured drivers and crime. All of which probably lead to high rates of outrage when Detroit residents receive their monthly insurance bill
3: Michigan - 5 States with Unusually High Auto Insurance Rates | HowStuffWorks

In fact, there are quite a bit of states above Florida.

Now I'll agree that people in Miami honk more than other states. That really has nothing to do with "bad driving", you might not find it courteous, but it's not dangerous driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida