Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,778 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone- I am a Florida boy having lived much of my life in Broward County- last 15 years my wife and I have been living in Costa Rica, but have our house here up for sale and we want to move back to Florida- where its cheap.
Costa Rica has become VERY expensive- and internet research gives me the idea that Citrus County is a cheap place to live- but still has old Florida charm.

Ft Lauderdale is my #1 choice but homes start at $300k for anything decent- we only have $125k cash to invest in a home, and there seems to be plenty in that price range that seem nice.

Have narrowed down search to Invernes, Beverly Hills, Citrus Spings, Spring Hill or even further south to Hernando or Homosassa. Don't care about resale value as this will be our last house.

I realize that most of the visitors to this site only have negative things to say about a region- but I am trying to get honest, unbiased feedback. We don't need much and will be quite happy with an area that has medium crime rate and a Walmart within 15 minutes drive. That's how easy we are. We are very nature oriented- and do a molot of hiking and boating. Beaches are important

Any input from residents in these area will be appreciated

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 08:03 AM

103 posts, read 230,397 times
I live in Citrus County so will be happy to give you my opinions! And what is funny is that my husband would love to move to Costa Rica, he loves it there!!
We technically live in Beverly Hills, but in Pine Ridge. There is an older area of Beverly Hills that has very affordable, small houses. I know there is more crime over there but not sure how bad it is. Same with Citrus Springs, there are some really nice areas in there and then some areas to avoid. If we didn't live in Pine Ridge I'd love to live on a canal, or near one, in Crystal River. And if you like the outdoors, that's a great area. So many places to kayak, fish, hike, etc.....And I find Homosassa to be very quaint as well. Lots to do on the water.
I grew up in Florida as well and I do feel that Citrus County does have that "old" Florida charm. And there are plenty of Wal-Marts!!
Good luck to you, I imagine the best thing to do is visit and check out the areas.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:49 AM

505 posts, read 514,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygirl925 View Post
I live in Citrus County so will be happy to give you my opinions! And what is funny is that my husband would love to move to Costa Rica, he loves it there!!
We technically live in Beverly Hills, but in Pine Ridge. There is an older area of Beverly Hills that has very affordable, small houses. I know there is more crime over there but not sure how bad it is. Same with Citrus Springs, there are some really nice areas in there and then some areas to avoid. If we didn't live in Pine Ridge I'd love to live on a canal, or near one, in Crystal River. And if you like the outdoors, that's a great area. So many places to kayak, fish, hike, etc.....And I find Homosassa to be very quaint as well. Lots to do on the water.
I grew up in Florida as well and I do feel that Citrus County does have that "old" Florida charm. And there are plenty of Wal-Marts!!
Good luck to you, I imagine the best thing to do is visit and check out the areas.
What part of Citrus Springs should be avoided? I am looking to move there next year.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:30 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,350 times
Your first choice is Ft Lauderdale. Do you want to be in a more urban area? Citrus County is sort of far from larger cities.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:51 AM

103 posts, read 230,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
What part of Citrus Springs should be avoided? I am looking to move there next year.
I can't say for sure. My neighborhood borders Citrus Springs and I do drive through it sometimes. There is an older section on Citrus Springs Blvd, where there are older homes, closer together and dated. Some are very nicely kept, and some are not. And I've been to some houses in Citrus Springs that are larger, on larger lots, newer and beautiful. You definitely have to do your homework and drive around in person. It's a large area and I have gotten lost in there!

Old 05-08-2016, 11:05 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,964,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDAGROWN View Post
Hi everyone- I am a Florida boy having lived much of my life in Broward County- last 15 years my wife and I have been living in Costa Rica, but have our house here up for sale and we want to move back to Florida- where its cheap.
Costa Rica has become VERY expensive- and internet research gives me the idea that Citrus County is a cheap place to live- but still has old Florida charm.

Ft Lauderdale is my #1 choice but homes start at $300k for anything decent- we only have $125k cash to invest in a home, and there seems to be plenty in that price range that seem nice.

Have narrowed down search to Invernes, Beverly Hills, Citrus Spings, Spring Hill or even further south to Hernando or Homosassa. Don't care about resale value as this will be our last house.

I realize that most of the visitors to this site only have negative things to say about a region- but I am trying to get honest, unbiased feedback. We don't need much and will be quite happy with an area that has medium crime rate and a Walmart within 15 minutes drive. That's how easy we are. We are very nature oriented- and do a molot of hiking and boating. Beaches are important

Any input from residents in these area will be appreciated

thanks in advance
I would rent before moving. From Broward to Citrus county? that's a huge culture shock.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:58 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygirl925 View Post
This sounds good to me! i like the older style town, as opposed to planned subdivisions. My plan to to buy a house, if the area permits a laid back somewhat country lifestyle.

I di not care about much or do other than shop conveniently for necessities. Let me know what areas to look, i have a plan to be there in June and am looking in Beverly Hills area.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:24 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
This sounds good to me! i like the older style town, as opposed to planned subdivisions. My plan to to buy a house, if the area permits a laid back somewhat country lifestyle.

I do not care about much to do, other than shop conveniently for necessities. Let me know what areas to look, i have a plan to be there in June and am looking in Beverly Hills area.
Thanks for any help

Old 05-10-2016, 08:15 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,284 times
Check out Floral City.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:57 PM

10 posts, read 20,903 times
We bought in Citrus Springs. We chose an older CB home, in the front, really close to the entrance. One of the main reasons we bought here and not in Dunnellon (our first choice), was price. We found a 1900+ sq ft home, CB, dbl lot for under 105k. We spent months looking, Floral City, Inverness, Eustis, Clermont, Williston, Dunnellon, etc. These homes are, give or take 30k under all the other places. We were very selective, it can get a little choppy in certain areas here, but if you do your homework, it's by far the best area if you are looking for more for less. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida