Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 02:27 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Any "animal working" will have a degree in biology or animal sciences and such. There don't just let people go into the zoos and work. Pay for your skill in Fla will be close to minimum wage and any place worth living (Miami, Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale) will be extremely expensive. You won't be "killing it" at any bar because you'll be working 70 hours a week to be able to afford your 1 bedroom $1400 studio. IMO though if I HAD to choose a city it would be Tampa. Miami in general is a dump and congested to all hell. Gulf Coast is preferable to East Coast. Good luck thinking that living here is anything close to being on vacation here. Locals don't hardly use the beach as much as you think because they're filled with tourists half the year and the rest is 100+ degrees and we can't be bothered to be in that kind of miserable heat. I've lived here 30+ years and been to the beach a handful of times. The most recent was over a year ago, and I live less than 3 miles to it.
Wow, old local here(40 years) and at the beach almost everyday for at least a walk. East Coast must be a little more fun than the West Coast maybe? BTW there are tourist beaches( at the end of causeways for example) and then there are the beaches where locals go where you can sometimes even be the only people on the beach for a mile. Maybe we chose a better area to live in.

Lots of people in Florida spend their days working outside-even in the summer so not everyone is indoors for months like you seem to think. I ran a summer camp for 10 years and we did almost all our activities outside. My husband owned a construction company and you build houses outside. My cousin owns a lawn service and of course he works outside. You become adjusted to the heat and it really is not much different than summer up North only we get way fewer days with the temperature actually hitting 100.

Floridians also play outside . We still golf in the summer. We swim, boat, hike, keep the corn hole game going, etc. even in the summer. BTW my BIL in Naples hits a golf ball around a course almost every day and he is 90 now. He has changed it up though....he now uses a cart instead of walking. Not everyone melts in the heat and stays inside. How boring would that be.

If you have really only been to the beach a handful of times .......How in the heck can you ever say the beaches on the West Coast are better? You have little experience! Can't imagine why in the world you live in Florida when you seem to hate it so much......

To the op you might want to consider starting out down here working at a warehouse job. Volunteer to help in a zoo, make contacts,take classes and then maybe have a foot in the door to a job working with animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 02:21 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Wow, old local here(40 years) and at the beach almost everyday for at least a walk. East Coast must be a little more fun than the West Coast maybe? BTW there are tourist beaches( at the end of causeways for example) and then there are the beaches where locals go where you can sometimes even be the only people on the beach for a mile. Maybe we chose a better area to live in.

Lots of people in Florida spend their days working outside-even in the summer so not everyone is indoors for months like you seem to think. I ran a summer camp for 10 years and we did almost all our activities outside. My husband owned a construction company and you build houses outside. My cousin owns a lawn service and of course he works outside. You become adjusted to the heat and it really is not much different than summer up North only we get way fewer days with the temperature actually hitting 100.

Floridians also play outside . We still golf in the summer. We swim, boat, hike, keep the corn hole game going, etc. even in the summer. BTW my BIL in Naples hits a golf ball around a course almost every day and he is 90 now. He has changed it up though....he now uses a cart instead of walking. Not everyone melts in the heat and stays inside. How boring would that be.

If you have really only been to the beach a handful of times .......How in the heck can you ever say the beaches on the West Coast are better? You have little experience! Can't imagine why in the world you live in Florida when you seem to hate it so much......

To the op you might want to consider starting out down here working at a warehouse job. Volunteer to help in a zoo, make contacts,take classes and then maybe have a foot in the door to a job working with animals.
Been here 32 years. Lived on east coast, west coast, and key west. IF I had to choose beaches I prefer west. Warmer calmer water.. I have literally only been a handful of times. I despise the beach. Sand in all
My stuff, on me, salt water makes me sticky, burns your eyes. Gotta drag all my crap + a kid only to leave an hour later because its just nonstop brutal sun beating down on you with pea soup humidity. Absolute blast... Then i never get the sand out of my car until the day I sell it. I grew up blocks from
The beach and once my parents stopped forcing me to go I never went back. Well no I went 1 day in higschool
To meet some friends. That was it my entire HS career I believe.

Well I grew up here and we left but we were forced to come back during the recession. All of my family moved out because they couldn't stand it either. (Cali and the poconos and Bronx) My sister and I are the only two left until Oct when we leave too. The only reason we've stuck around so long is because my husband has been sat FIU finishing his degree. He's done in Aug. and we r outta here shortly after . We also had to wait for my daughter to finish school so it just made sense to wait till my husband did also. Believe me it's been torture waiting. Even my 6 year old askes when we are leaving

Old 05-18-2016, 08:19 AM

210 posts, read 305,310 times
Quote:
Been here 32 years. Lived on east coast, west coast, and key west. IF I had to choose beaches I prefer west. Warmer calmer water.. I have literally only been a handful of times. I despise the beach. Sand in all
My stuff, on me, salt water makes me sticky, burns your eyes. Gotta drag all my crap + a kid only to leave an hour later because its just nonstop brutal sun beating down on you with pea soup humidity. Absolute blast... Then i never get the sand out of my car until the day I sell it. I grew up blocks from
The beach and once my parents stopped forcing me to go I never went back. Well no I went 1 day in higschool
To meet some friends. That was it my entire HS career I believe.

Well I grew up here and we left but we were forced to come back during the recession. All of my family moved out because they couldn't stand it either. (Cali and the poconos and Bronx) My sister and I are the only two left until Oct when we leave too. The only reason we've stuck around so long is because my husband has been sat FIU finishing his degree. He's done in Aug. and we r outta here shortly after . We also had to wait for my daughter to finish school so it just made sense to wait till my husband did also. Believe me it's been torture waiting. Even my 6 year old askes when we are leaving
There always is THAT kind of person on this forum. No thread would be complete without it. Also I'm sick of these minimum wage jobs. I work a warehouse job that pays slightly more but it still sucks. IMO its only worth it if you're doing something you love doing, which in my case would be working with animals. I kniw all about the zoo situation and its complete and utter BS in my opinion. Work for over half a decade to get a masters degree and makes less than half of what most tradesmen make just so you can scoop up poop. When I mean an animal job I don't necessarily mean zoo's, it cab be ither things too like being a vet tech(animal nurse) a pet breeder, or even a farmer, although I know that isn't really an option within the places that I'm trying to live.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:36 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
There always is THAT kind of person on this forum. No thread would be complete without it. Also I'm sick of these minimum wage jobs. I work a warehouse job that pays slightly more but it still sucks. IMO its only worth it if you're doing something you love doing, which in my case would be working with animals. I kniw all about the zoo situation and its complete and utter BS in my opinion. Work for over half a decade to get a masters degree and makes less than half of what most tradesmen make just so you can scoop up poop. When I mean an animal job I don't necessarily mean zoo's, it cab be ither things too like being a vet tech(animal nurse) a pet breeder, or even a farmer, although I know that isn't really an option within the places that I'm trying to live.
Farmers here are mostly illegals and or migrant workers who get paid less than minimum wage. The rest are family owned and again pay minimum wage. You think you hate the weather in Boston? Wait till you get a load of our summers 9 months a year. Depending on where you live in Fla you may never see a season change and its not always a good thing.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Farmers here are mostly illegals and or migrant workers who get paid less than minimum wage. The rest are family owned and again pay minimum wage. You think you hate the weather in Boston? Wait till you get a load of our summers 9 months a year. Depending on where you live in Fla you may never see a season change and its not always a good thing.
I get seasonal depression a lot so it just might be the best thing for me.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:15 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
I don't know about animal opportunities and all of that stuff. As someone who also thinks Florida's summers are oppressively hot, I am guilty of this a bit too but I think it gets discussed too often on here. The weather really is what the weather is, and arguing about it any amount isn't going to change it, or the fact that some people will love it and some people will hate it. Ultimately, I would tell everyone down here to come down during the summer first, and truly analyze what you would deem to be a comfortable temperature, but the reality is until you experience two things for a while, it's difficult to truly have an opinion. I love running/biking for extended distances which is why it's rough for me, but if I was okay with just taking my workouts indoors or being sedentary (I live outdoor workouts though) I would be fine. If Florida really isn't your ideal, you should seek to move (I will eventually, but there are reasons I'm not for a little while). Or if you can't or won't, you should seek to make best of offerings/situation, as otherwise, you'll just be miserable.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:20 PM

Okay so new update in terms of plans. I actually have a friend who wishes to move down here too and he's actually responsible and reliable. While working with animals is my goal, I'm willing to do another job whilst waiting. Eventually I wish to go to college and get a full scholarship(yes I am that spoiled and proud, no debt for me!) and maybe try out some other things like playing sports? Yeah what would you people think would be a good spot for me and my friend?

Old 07-02-2016, 06:17 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
Okay so new update in terms of plans. I actually have a friend who wishes to move down here too and he's actually responsible and reliable. While working with animals is my goal, I'm willing to do another job whilst waiting. Eventually I wish to go to college and get a full scholarship(yes I am that spoiled and proud, no debt for me!) and maybe try out some other things like playing sports? Yeah what would you people think would be a good spot for me and my friend?
When you go online looking for jobs down here, what area do you see the most jobs that you're qualified for?

Old 07-02-2016, 08:08 AM

110 posts, read 110,218 times
If you are looking to go to college then you should be looking at the college towns spread out throughout the state. I am assuming that you are planning on establishing residency here because after a year living here, you qualify for instate tuition. If your goal is to work with animals, I suggest you start looking at schools that may offer that then look at the surrounding areas to see what opportunities are available, assuming you don't want to have to move over and over again.

I am also 23, I have two careers and I am working on an advanced degree. I live in South Florida and West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale and Miami offer nightlife options. Weekends on South Beach are a lot of fun, whether they are tourist filled or not. I moved down here by myself, and I give you a lot of credit for trying and being open to something new, many people are afraid to actually make the move when push comes to shove.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaverso View Post
If you are looking to go to college then you should be looking at the college towns spread out throughout the state. I am assuming that you are planning on establishing residency here because after a year living here, you qualify for instate tuition. If your goal is to work with animals, I suggest you start looking at schools that may offer that then look at the surrounding areas to see what opportunities are available, assuming you don't want to have to move over and over again.

I am also 23, I have two careers and I am working on an advanced degree. I live in South Florida and West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale and Miami offer nightlife options. Weekends on South Beach are a lot of fun, whether they are tourist filled or not. I moved down here by myself, and I give you a lot of credit for trying and being open to something new, many people are afraid to actually make the move when push comes to shove.
I honestly should have done this years ago but hey better latecthan never! How is the rent proces and such down where you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida