Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2016, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,061 times

Advertisements

My parents are elderly and my dad has CLL leukemia. He gets sick often and in and out of hosp for 6-9 mos or more at a time. I have a very manipulative, pushy sister-in-law that "WANTS" not a need but wants to live in the keys because it is fun. Look....Squirrel!! Yep, that is her. She has worked my brother to death. He is a truck driver and she spends his money like there is no tomorrow. They have decided since it is pretty in The FLA Keys that she is going to move her parents and my parents there with NO job, no money, no savings except what she can take from her parents and mine.My brother has decided just to stop his 20 yr truck driving career to live the life of Riley on the ocean in the Keys. I have been reading about them and there does not seem to be very many or good job opportunities there. What is your thought on the job situation there. And do you know if there is emergency medical care there that is good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 04:30 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...ve-fun-18.html

read this thread - I'm pretty certain your answer about jobs, housing, and complicated medical care is there.....and I'd be skeptical on all three.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:57 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
Medical, Orlando Tampa. Not the Keys.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:27 PM

44 posts, read 48,077 times
The Keys are occupied by mostly degenerates and drunks.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:34 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Carson Lives View Post
The Keys are occupied by mostly degenerates and drunks.
not exactly what the OP was asking about.......and not accurate

Old 05-30-2016, 08:33 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,896,715 times
I live here. And I have met (and heard about) quite a few people like your SIL - probably she will hate it. Most people like that don't do any research, and have a fixed image in their minds of what it will be like - carefree, luxury, and like you are on vacation every day of the year. It's actually nothing like that, and people who come for that image tend to be very upset when they realize and leave within 1 year, a lot poorer. The Keys are very isolated, with poor amenities, and high costs. It is much tougher than living on the mainland if you like conveniences and variety. If you want to live in the middle of nowhere and immerse yourself in nature, or drinking and fishing but nothing else, it is great.

Honestly, I think it would be risking your father's life to move here. Medical services are few, sub-par, and often booked months in advance so it is hard to get anyone halfway decent on short notice. We do not have anything suitable for people with cancer and serious illnesses, hence why most people from Key Largo to Key West commute all the way in to Miami for medical care. The car ride alone could be very stressful and hazardous for your parents, given that there is frequently gridlock traffic, and many fatalities on the highway due to reckless driving. Very seriously, unless your dad just wants to pass away in peace by the ocean, you need to do everything you can to help your parents to see that moving him here is likely the last thing they will ever do with him. And it will be outrageously expensive.

Your brother and SIL are welcome to give it a try, WITHOUT your parents, and make their own mistakes. But it is highly unlikely that they will get jobs that will support what it costs here, and if they arrive without any savings or job secured, they are very likely to end up homeless very quickly, because no one will rent without First, Last, and Security equal to 3 times the rent, plus proof of employment. Mortgages cost a staggering amount here, and the hazard insurance is so expensive because of hurricanes that you should generally expect it doubles the cost of the mortgage (and in the case of older, cheaper homes that are not in any way hurricane-proof, the insurance often costs in the vicinity of $20k per year).

I love living here, and do not regret it. But it is not the kind of place you can move to and be happy without a LOT of research beforehand. It is a rough lifestyle here, unless you have millions to spare and can afford chartered flights out anytime you want. From your description of your brother and SIL, it sounds like they are exactly the kind of entitled, impulsive people who come down here frequently, and move out just as frequently, blaming the Keys for their own mistakes and poor judgement. That's not to be mean, that's just the honest truth. I see it all the time, people who think they are moving to live hotel life forever, and then they get angry and call this a backwater because it doesn't have any of the things they are used to. You will find a lot more information in the other threads about Keys life, and the many expenses that come with it. But most people are working 2-3 jobs just to afford a rental here WITH roommates, and never have much time, or the extra money, to be out on the water. You can actually live on these islands and never see the ocean for weeks at a time. Nearly all jobs here focus on the tourist industry, have low pay, no benefits, and require working weekends and holidays because that's when the tourists are here. It sucks, for the average working-class person. If you're not very adventurous and enjoy being challenged with hardships, or not independently wealthy, it is hard to enjoy living in the Keys.

It's a fun experience if you budget for just a year to sacrifice a lot in your life and try it out, or if you have a well-thought out plan like I put in place to make sure you can last longer than that. But otherwise, it is a huge risk with for most people very little reward.

Don't let your parents move here unless they know what they're getting into, and can afford it.

Also, we are overdue for a direct hit major hurricane, and this year is a La Nina year, meaning more expected named storms than average. It is just a matter of time. I wouldn't want to see your dad be sick and have both your parents stuck in a hurricane. We get flooding down here due to sea level rise without a hurricane even hitting - so if a big one hits, it could be bad, especially in the short-term. Even if we don't get one, if a tropical storm dumps a ton of rain, that could strand your parents in their house for weeks (it already happened here this year, with no tropical storm). And from the type of situation it sounds like your SIL and brother would pick, likely they'll be in a pre-FIRM house below flood, which could mean damage, mold, and being forced to evacuate the house even without a hurricane hitting, and probably car damage or totaling. Very expensive, and very stressful, for people who can't afford it. Never risk more than you can afford to lose.

I love the Keys. But they are not what people think they are. It is closer to moving full-time to live in the Everglades, than it is to moving to a Miami luxury hotel, in terms of lifestyle.

*A very affordable alternative, for people who don't mind oppressive heat during the summer and a fair amount of petty crime, is to move to Homestead. One could get a nice house there for 1/4 the cost of the Keys, and be within fairly easy commute of medical services in Homestead and Miami, and the Keys any weekend you want. There is also access to way more jobs up there, including jobs that have actual salaries and benefits and pay more than $18k a year.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:13 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,571,784 times
^^^ well said. If your dad is still needing intensive medical care ( not in Hospice waiting for death) it would probably be best to stay where they are, have support systems, not having to start with new doctors, hospitals etc.

Your SIL needs to take a vacation and not drag her parents and your ill father on a fly-by-night move to someplace that seems really cool and fun.

I hope for your parents sake your SIL moves on to the next plan soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida