Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 07:45 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times

Advertisements

Florida has good schools and bad ones. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Lots of good magnet/IB schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 08:44 AM

17 posts, read 21,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Schools here are bad because of disciplinary issues and cultural issues. It has nothing to do with funding. When I was in high school, my girlfriend went to another high school that was a pretty bad school. She ended up going into a charter that was even worse, then back to the public school. At the charter, it was behavioral issues, all day, every day. Teachers couldn't teach. At the public school, the district had a great idea - more funding, give all the children new laptops, then they'll be smart!!! I'm sure you can guess how that turned out...

Years later, I had a girlfriend who was a teacher in one of the roughest areas in South Florida (Riviera Beach). She was an outstanding teacher, all the teachers were... I went to the school myself a couple of times. Believe me, no lack of funding there. Computer labs, books, beautiful classrooms, you name it. But children show up without eating breakfast, they act out, they don't listen, they dont' want to learn, etc. It's totally cultural.

The point I was making was really the way the schools [i]use[[i] the funding. Like I said, they use it more on non-essentials and forget that they actually have to pay teachers a decent wage etc.

Again, it the use of the funding that's the problem. Beautiful buildings etc. They allocate TOO much money to that stuff and they can't repurpose the money. It's a huge problem.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:44 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
I've been reading many posts about Florida (in general) including some older posts going back to 2008 or so. And I've hit some curious things- at least to me.

Ppl who want to move here are always looking for a safe area. Is Florida in general unsafe? All cities have areas to stay away from but Fla seems to have a reputation of being high crime.

Ppl have asked how they would fit in. Ppl who are gay, transgender, Jewish, Black, Hispanic, and on and on. Is Fla unwelcoming to different ppl or is that a myth from way back when?

Ppl seem to bash anyone whose leaning toward liberal. Why? Isn't it better to have a balance political environment?

Ppl coming to Fla are worried about school systems and how good they are (or not). Don't ppl in Fla worry about their kids education? I know there are some decent school systems, but why this reputation?

Fla has a reputation of not having the best health care. I'm sure some hospitals are great, but why this national reputation of being bad?

I've noticed many things to this nature. It is everywhere or just Fla? Many ppl seem to have the attitude that this is the way Fla is, don't come here if you don't like it. I don't get it.

I'm just curious.
Florida is fine for most of your questions. You should be able to fit in. Don't know if health care is better/worse than other places but we have had more canceled appointments here than in the DC area.

Florida has bad schools by design. The Florida state legislature has passed laws to enable poor schools and the emphasis is on the lowest cost and not on providing students with a good education. By design Florida schools churn through new teachers and hire experienced teachers as window dressing for the DOE because they keep getting fined for not hiring experienced teachers for title one schools. After a month (I assume after they reported their hires to DOE), they will let the experienced teachers go. After 2 years they will let go of the former new hires before their salaries go up and repeat the process. If you have school age kids check out how the county where you want to move did on their standardized tests. If you find it difficult to find the current results take it as a warning. I believe Volusia County failed their standarized tests and will churn more administrators and teachers.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:24 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Florida is fine for most of your questions. You should be able to fit in. Don't know if health care is better/worse than other places but we have had more canceled appointments here than in the DC area.

Florida has bad schools by design. The Florida state legislature has passed laws to enable poor schools and the emphasis is on the lowest cost and not on providing students with a good education. By design Florida schools churn through new teachers and hire experienced teachers as window dressing for the DOE because they keep getting fined for not hiring experienced teachers for title one schools. After a month (I assume after they reported their hires to DOE), they will let the experienced teachers go. After 2 years they will let go of the former new hires before their salaries go up and repeat the process. If you have school age kids check out how the county where you want to move did on their standardized tests. If you find it difficult to find the current results take it as a warning. I believe Volusia County failed their standarized tests and will churn more administrators and teachers.

I don't know the inner workings of FL or NY schools, but I can give statistics on two school systems I live in and pay taxes to support. I'm using a competitor's site for the expenditures that I'm not allowed to link to, but this information is easily found.

2014 data:
School expenditures per student for Cornwall, NY was $20,797
School expenditures per student for Venice, FL schools are 13,014
Instructional expenditures per student for Cornwall, NY was $12,310
Instructional expenditures per student for Venice, FL was $6,603

Two school comparisons sites and ratings for 2015:
On the K12Niche site Cornwall Elementary got a B- while Venice Elementary got a B+,
Cornwall NY High School got an A, while Venice FL High School got a B

On the Great schools site Cornwall received a 9 and Venice an 8 at the elementary level, Cornwall Hgh School got a 6 and Venice High School an 8

The grades/ranking these two sites gave the schools don't explain the 6-8k difference in pupil spending. There isn't enough difference to justify the lopsided spending.

This is for two schools systems in two very large states, and demonstrates why states cannot be painted with one sweeping statement condemning or praising their educational systems. Individual systems need to be compared to make an intelligent assessment by using metrics and numbers.

Last edited by jean_ji; 06-05-2016 at 07:51 PM..

Old 06-06-2016, 07:40 AM

103 posts, read 230,412 times
This is my 2 cents on the schools in Florida: I have two kids in school, one going into 8th grade and one going into 10th. We moved to Florida in 2013 from CT. When my older daughter was in 7th grade in Florida, she was learning the exact same thing in a certain subject that her cousin was learning in 8th grade at a magnet school in CT. That was surprising to me. We did our due diligence prior to choosing a place to live and researched the schools. Just like any other state, there are good & bad school districts. My kids have had some really exceptional teachers since we've been here and then a few that are not so good. Same thing happened in CT when they were in elementary school. My younger daughter is in NJHS, is on honor roll etc....and my older daughter is taking honors and AP classes. They are both challenged in school and have been since we moved down here, which is something I worried about after hearing the rumors about Florida schools. That being said, I'm a Florida native who did attend school down here while growing up and I turned out ok.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:46 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:

Do you have anything that supports your conclusions?

Old 06-06-2016, 01:32 PM

506 posts, read 514,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
I've been reading many posts about Florida (in general) including some older posts going back to 2008 or so. And I've hit some curious things- at least to me.

Ppl who want to move here are always looking for a safe area. Is Florida in general unsafe? All cities have areas to stay away from but Fla seems to have a reputation of being high crime.

Ppl have asked how they would fit in. Ppl who are gay, transgender, Jewish, Black, Hispanic, and on and on. Is Fla unwelcoming to different ppl or is that a myth from way back when?

Ppl seem to bash anyone whose leaning toward liberal. Why? Isn't it better to have a balance political environment?

Ppl coming to Fla are worried about school systems and how good they are (or not). Don't ppl in Fla worry about their kids education? I know there are some decent school systems, but why this reputation?

Fla has a reputation of not having the best health care. I'm sure some hospitals are great, but why this national reputation of being bad?

I've noticed many things to this nature. It is everywhere or just Fla? Many ppl seem to have the attitude that this is the way Fla is, don't come here if you don't like it. I don't get it.

I'm just curious.

This is true anywhere. Fl has good spots and bad spots

Ppl have asked how they would fit in. Ppl who are gay, transgender, Jewish, Black, Hispanic, and on and on. Is Fla unwelcoming to different ppl or is that a myth from way back when? people want to fit in everywhere. people are just asking what areas would be a good fit for like minded people. this is true anywhere you go

Ppl seem to bash anyone whose leaning toward liberal.... Isn't it better to have a balance political environment?

No.

Our schools are consistently ranked in the top 10 in the country, and we are known for having one of the best voucher systems in the country. At one time however, back in the 90's, our school system was not as good. I supposed old reputations can be hard to shake, but I think the concern mostly comes from people just wanting to make sure that their kids are going to get a good education when moving here. Just normal DD in my opinion.

Fla has a reputation of not having the best health care. I'm sure some hospitals are great, but why this national reputation of being bad? I'm not aware of this reputation. If it were true, I don't think half the senior population would be moving here every year. Most likely comes from whiny libs not happy with the decisions our state government has made.

I've noticed many things to this nature. It is everywhere or just Fla? Many ppl seem to have the attitude that this is the way Fla is, don't come here if you don't like it. I don't get it. I'm sure this is true with most states.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:35 PM

I feel that it is old information that some cannot understand changed, mostly for the better.

Some people dont or dont want to update their knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post

This is true anywhere. Fl has good spots and bad spots

Ppl have asked how they would fit in. Ppl who are gay, transgender, Jewish, Black, Hispanic, and on and on. Is Fla unwelcoming to different ppl or is that a myth from way back when? people want to fit in everywhere. people are just asking what areas would be a good fit for like minded people. this is true anywhere you go

Ppl seem to bash anyone whose leaning toward liberal.... Isn't it better to have a balance political environment?

No.

Our schools are consistently ranked in the top 10 in the country, and we are known for having one of the best voucher systems in the country. At one time however, back in the 90's, our school system was not as good. I supposed old reputations can be hard to shake, but I think the concern mostly comes from people just wanting to make sure that their kids are going to get a good education when moving here. Just normal DD in my opinion.

Fla has a reputation of not having the best health care. I'm sure some hospitals are great, but why this national reputation of being bad? I'm not aware of this reputation. If it were true, I don't think half the senior population would be moving here every year. Most likely comes from whiny libs not happy with the decisions our state government has made.

I've noticed many things to this nature. It is everywhere or just Fla? Many ppl seem to have the attitude that this is the way Fla is, don't come here if you don't like it. I don't get it. I'm sure this is true with most states.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:53 PM

506 posts, read 514,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I feel that it is old information that some cannot understand changed, mostly for the better.

Some people dont or dont want to update their knowledge.
I think there is a lot of truth to this.

My father-in-law, who is a snow bird from up state NY, bashes Florida all the time. The only problem is he uses information from 20 years ago. I am constantly correcting him with more up to date information. My only problem is, it goes in one ear, and out the other...

Old 06-06-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:

I read your comment to a few friends over dinner tonight. The replies were:

Frank - I know quite a few teachers that have all been there for ten years and more.

Nikki - Our son just graduated elementary and most of the teachers there now were there when he began Kindergarten. The thing about the hiring is bull.

Gail - l Don't agree with the hiring firing theory.

Julie - Not true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida