Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2016, 06:26 PM

6 posts, read 4,972 times

Advertisements

My family is trying to get me to move back to Florida and honestly I am more than willing to return. I am currently up in Seattle and the company I work for have recently cut our hours so I am looking to return. Unfortunately I can't return home (My sister and her family is living with my parents until they get a place situated) and I am looking to go down to Tampa, or I may even consider West Palm, or Fort Lauderdale. I did get accepted into USF, along with a couple of schools in both Central and South Florida. Thankfully I have a Floridian address, but it is in North Florida (Jacksonville). The problem that I have is how can I land a job back home when I am not there, and what else can I do job wise? My experience is in Aviation but I am done with it and usually the hours worked does not work with school.

From what I was reading, already being a Floridian helps with the job hunt, but being in Seattle does not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 02:29 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Without being here is gonna be difficult to get callbacks or go to job interviews.

Maybe if you have some money saved or if you are willing to get student loans for room and board.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:33 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by authordent View Post
My family is trying to get me to move back to Florida and honestly I am more than willing to return. I am currently up in Seattle and the company I work for have recently cut our hours so I am looking to return. Unfortunately I can't return home (My sister and her family is living with my parents until they get a place situated) and I am looking to go down to Tampa, or I may even consider West Palm, or Fort Lauderdale. I did get accepted into USF, along with a couple of schools in both Central and South Florida. Thankfully I have a Floridian address, but it is in North Florida (Jacksonville). The problem that I have is how can I land a job back home when I am not there, and what else can I do job wise? My experience is in Aviation but I am done with it and usually the hours worked does not work with school.

From what I was reading, already being a Floridian helps with the job hunt, but being in Seattle does not...
Sikorsky and Pratt & Whitney are expanding their facilities in the Jupiter area...check their websites for jobs?

Old 07-05-2016, 06:18 AM

110 posts, read 110,121 times
When I moved from New York, I indicated when I was going to be moving down to the area. I found that employers were then able to make the necessary arrangements for my situation (I did a virtual interview before my face to face interview). In your situation, I would use your Florida address when applying to jobs and then say when you will be moving to a specific city.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:42 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
It's not just the distance between Seattle and Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, etc.. If you are planning to attend school, that will largely determine where you live and work (or vice-versa). Will your parents pay for school (including room and board) or will you? If the former, that should give you enough flexibility to get enrolled and find a part-time job. If the latter, do you have the money to go to school... or is your plan to work, and pick-up a few college hours on the side? -- Also, when you say, "You were accepted," is there a particular semester attached? (It sounds like acceptance is at your convenience (?)).

Start by looking at the fixed aspects and goals in your life and situation, not the unlimited possibilities... and build on that. Florida is only a place. Trying to narrow-down unlimited possibilities will not get you there or anywhere else. (ie; Alice: "Which way do I go?", Caterpillar: "Where are you going?", Alice: "I don't know", Caterpillar: "Then it really doesn't matter which way you go.")

What does "aviation" (with reduced/part-time? hours mean?) -- Do you have any marketable skills or education? If so, check-out Seattle companies with branches or headquarters in Florida and contact them about possibilities. Can you discuss the options and assistance your parents might provide? (Since you are considering living with them). -- How old are you and how much have you saved in Seattle?

Last edited by jghorton; 07-05-2016 at 11:53 AM..

Old 07-05-2016, 11:31 PM

6 posts, read 4,972 times
I am a little older than most 30+, and my family is welcoming. I currently hold a A.S. in Data Forensics, but I will be pushing my focus on Comp Sci. Some of my tuition will me coming out of pocket, but not everything. I am planning on going for the spring semester, I ended up taking a Gap year to travel, and I was offered a position up here in Seattle and the money and the OT was hard to turn down, then they killed the OT and it put a huge damper on my plans, and the company I am working is far stricter than the Airlines, and yet they do not follow their standards, and they are having serious issues with their customers because of it and lately safety issues is starting to pop up and I do not want anything to do with it. I was planning on returning to Florida regardless after a year on the road. I do have some cash reserves (15k), but I do not want to touch that, not unless I have to.
I am looking at different options, and unfortunately my aviation experience was not as a A+P, but mostly ramp work, and I do not miss it at all.
One of the biggest reasons I want to get back to the state is that one of my family members have gotten sick and I do not want to be far in case something does happen, a 3-6 hour drive is better than a 10 hour flight.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:05 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaverso View Post
When I moved from New York, I indicated when I was going to be moving down to the area. I found that employers were then able to make the necessary arrangements for my situation (I did a virtual interview before my face to face interview). In your situation, I would use your Florida address when applying to jobs and then say when you will be moving to a specific city.
This would only work in certain high demand jobs - but highly unlikely for common positions. When I'm reviewing emails/resume's - those go right into the trash. Why would I deal with it? They can't come in for an interview, etc. I have 200 other resumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida