Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:44 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,031,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
We have them in Miami, only a certain time of year, we call them Lightening Bugs down here.
I've seen the ones Plantlover described earlier in this thread but those are not like the fireflies that one finds in other parts of the country or world.

I've seen fireflies outside Florida and they are really nice. They tend to be in large groups and light up places like Christmas trees. Maybe they do reside in rural places, but definitely not in large cities due to the constant spraying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 10:09 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,369,037 times
^^^Interesting I always though they were the same thing. So they are different Lightening Bugs and Fireflys????

Old 04-28-2010, 10:24 AM

17,454 posts, read 38,838,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^Interesting I always though they were the same thing. So they are different Lightening Bugs and Fireflys????
No, they are the same - lightning bugs are just a nickname for fireflies. And there are many different species of fireflies - the ones we had in Dade city were the type that flash blue and green and fly in a "J" pattern - they are soooo cool! The ones I saw in North Carolina kind of hover in one place, and then there are the type that flash in unison!

I really miss seeing them, I don't think you ever see them close to the coast. When I was growing up in Tampa I saw them all the time, but there is too much pavement and spraying now.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:48 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,369,037 times
^^^Ok that is what I thought, so we do have them in Miami, just certain times of the year though.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:51 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,723,341 times
Only place I have seen them in FL since I have been here is in Inverness in Citrus county when I first got here in 1994. Never since.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:01 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,634,129 times
Childrens auther, Jack Prelutsky wrote: "I'm glad I'm not a firefly, for I'd regret I'd have a permanent electric light attached to my behind".

I have seen a rare lighting bug or firefly in Tampa in the 5 years I have lived here. There is nothing like the light show they make every summer evening like up north.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:54 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,723,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
Childrens auther, Jack Prelutsky wrote: "I'm glad I'm not a firefly, for I'd regret I'd have a permanent electric light attached to my behind".

I have seen a rare lighting bug or firefly in Tampa in the 5 years I have lived here. There is nothing like the light show they make every summer evening like up north.

Amen to that!!!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:44 PM

According to this article, the densest firefly populations are in Florida and Georgia, not up north.

Researchers want to know if fireflies are disappearing | The Columbus Dispatch

As I said, you can see plenty of fireflies in the rural areas of Florida, just because you are in a city and don't see them don't mean we don't have them, so please quit saying that. My former home in Dade City was LOADED with them every summer, I loved seeing them, I am sure they are still there. You aren't going to see them in the paved meccas of south Florida or Orlando.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:42 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,081,147 times
Is there any place near Tampa to tent camp where you may see fireflies? Also, is there a season that better to see them than others? I obviously do not want to tent camp in the middle of summer.

Thanks! Cannot wait to introduce my children to these awesome critters.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Is there any place near Tampa to tent camp where you may see fireflies? Also, is there a season that better to see them than others? I obviously do not want to tent camp in the middle of summer.

Thanks! Cannot wait to introduce my children to these awesome critters.
Well, unfortunately for you, the season they are out is in summer! These are summer critters, just like mosquitoes! A few show up in May and they are usually around until August or September, depending on the year. The Withlacoochee State Forest is probably a good place to go, part of it is in Pasco County, not too far north of Tampa.

Withlacoochee State Forest: Florida Division of Forestry- FDACS

This would probably be an ideal place to see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida