Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 02:36 PM

90 posts, read 263,073 times

Advertisements

So I've been thinking for awhile about becoming a police officer, and if have heard a lot that Florida is in demand for officers, especially the Miami and Miami beach area. Is this true? I've also heard that all you really need is a high school diploma and a clean record, which I do have, and also I was in the military if that helps. I also heard the starting pay is pretty good ($40-50k)
Is it pretty easy to get a job anywhere in Florida? Or just the south area.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Jordan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 03:03 PM

515 posts, read 1,348,101 times
You don't stand much of a chance of being hired at a decent department with only a high school diploma. Pay and benefits are all over the place and differ greatly from department to department. Obviously the departments that have better benefit packages get more applicants, which means that they can be a lot more selective in who they hire. I would say about 90% of the people we hire have a bachelor's degree, and the ones without a four year degree are either retired military NCOs or else have prior law enforcement experience at another department.

Getting hired is also more than just having a "clean record." You will have to pass a background investigation that will include a polygraph examination about any undetected criminal activity, such as drug use, DUI, and anything else you weren't caught for.

You also very well may have to put yourself through a police academy at your own expense ($4000+) at one of the community colleges, depending on where you want to work and the hiring practices of that particular department.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:46 AM

95 posts, read 101,290 times
I know there is a demand for police officers in the smaller cities of central Florida as there is a fairly high turnover rate. The pay is around 40K per year but the cost of living is lower than the Miami area. The cities of Lakeland and Winter Haven currently have advertised openings and I'm sure they are not unique.

I believe new hires have to meet Florida's state standards and are generally police academy graduates. Many of the officer's I've known did not get their bachelor's degree until after they were hired. Tuition reimbursement is often included benefits packages.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:13 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanCarlson13 View Post
So I've been thinking for awhile about becoming a police officer, and if have heard a lot that Florida is in demand for officers, especially the Miami and Miami beach area. Is this true? I've also heard that all you really need is a high school diploma and a clean record, which I do have, and also I was in the military if that helps. I also heard the starting pay is pretty good ($40-50k)

Thanks!

Jordan
That's only for a standard rookie .. You cannot get any promotion at all, at least in my husbands department without a BA minimum. Hiring process can also take 6+ months and will require a lie detector test, psych tests, written etc. Then countless panel interviews. Some depts are on a budget and you'll have to pay your way through academy.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:39 AM

192 posts, read 375,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanCarlson13 View Post

Thanks!

Jordan
How old are you? Are you married with kids? If so, does your wife/partner work? Or are you single?

Answer those questions and then I can tell you what I have learned regarding this.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:22 PM

134 posts, read 239,309 times
South Florida agencies are very competitive. You need to be top notch to get on with any of them. Did you have any discipline problems in the military? Like another poster said, it takes more than a diploma and a clean record to get into Law Enforcement. Most agencies require a polyscam/CVSA and psychological exam however that is not state mandated. Each agency also has different policies when it comes to past drug use. Some require 2 years clean, some require 5 years clean. Some agencies will not hire you at all if you have used any hard drugs in the past (Meth, Cocaine, ect.). Many agencies will DQ you if you have a poor driving record. Research different agencies that you are interested in and see what their requirements are.

Some large agencies hire recruits as non-certified and send them to the academy however it is again very competitive. I went to the academy at a local state college and got picked up by my department after graduating. You basically go through a 770+ hour academy that covers all aspects of Law Enforcement. After successfully graduating, you take a 250 question state exam. After passing the state exam, you are "certifiable" and eligible to work as an officer in the state of Florida.

I love being a cop and think it is a great career. With that in mind, the job is not for everyone. You have to be physically and MENTALLY fit for this job. It takes at least 110% dedication to become successful. I dedicate many more hours than I am scheduled to work.

Feel free to ask more questions. I am sure several of us on here are capable of answering just about anything.

Last edited by Miami HurricaneZ; 07-11-2014 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: Format
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida