Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2021, 02:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,762 times

Advertisements

Hello. This is my first time posting on the City-Data forum. Basically I'm a young adult with a high school diploma who is seeking career opportunities in the state of Florida through post-secondary education with a good path to long-term employment in Florida. I've been considering carpentry, electrical and welding and would like to build a career in your rapidly growing state's vibrant economy. I am aware that there are laws to be respected and legal procedures to be followed with regards to education and any form of labor in the US (visas). Can anybody familiar give me any recommendations with regards to schools and programs? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 03:52 PM

786 posts, read 627,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdotwriter View Post
Hello. This is my first time posting on the City-Data forum. Basically I'm a young adult with a high school diploma who is seeking career opportunities in the state of Florida through post-secondary education with a good path to long-term employment in Florida. I've been considering carpentry, electrical and welding and would like to build a career in your rapidly growing state's vibrant economy. I am aware that there are laws to be respected and legal procedures to be followed with regards to education and any form of labor in the US (visas). Can anybody familiar give me any recommendations with regards to schools and programs? Thank you.

You really have to look up the legal barriers to acquire training, then evaluate the cost of getting it here vs in Canada. If you dont have these skills already, you will be competing with accomplished, established, jorneymen, and apprentices... and most if not all have no residency restrictions and aregoing to be more attractive hires than you. There are A LOT of people coming here thinking the same thing, which does 2 things: 1) Reduces wages... which were alrealdy fairly low compared to the rest of the US and 2) Drive up costs of things like housing and rent which was already unaffordable for many.

You have to do a lot more research of what you want to do exactly, and get some slills first. People coming to Florida with no skills often find themselves living in poor conditions and even their cars.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:14 PM

10,464 posts, read 4,042,712 times
They have tons of programs for apprenticeship for electricians, plumbers and the big one, heavy machine operator. They can even help you with citizenship. Best thing to do would be to relocate to Florida and the city you are living in, start looking up either of the organizations in that city that in charge of one of those vocations. FPL is also a great place to look into as well.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
They have tons of programs for apprenticeship for electricians, plumbers and the big one, heavy machine operator. They can even help you with citizenship. Best thing to do would be to relocate to Florida and the city you are living in, start looking up either of the organizations in that city that in charge of one of those vocations. FPL is also a great place to look into as well.
Are there any particular cities I should focus on with regards to careers in those fields? My understanding is that Miami is at the heart of your state's economic center and has the benefits of being the largest city and by a wide margin the largest metropolitan area in the state, but I would assume the likes of Jacksonville and Orlando to be more affordable. Heavy machine operator is an interesting option that I never considered before. Any specific schools I should look into?

Old 03-30-2021, 09:25 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdotwriter View Post
Are there any particular cities I should focus on with regards to careers in those fields? My understanding is that Miami is at the heart of your state's economic center and has the benefits of being the largest city and by a wide margin the largest metropolitan area in the state, but I would assume the likes of Jacksonville and Orlando to be more affordable. Heavy machine operator is an interesting option that I never considered before. Any specific schools I should look into?
May I ask why you are looking to move to Florida? Doesn't seem like you really know much about the state at all (no offense meant.)

Old 03-30-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
May I ask why you are looking to move to Florida? Doesn't seem like you really know much about the state at all (no offense meant.)
Basically many of the same reasons that many other people are, including the poster of a specifically COVID-19 related topic in here. We've been in and out of lockdowns here (Ontario, Canada) for the past year and I want to get on with my life and make something of it somewhere where I'll be able to. I have many political and philosophical viewpoints that lead me to believe I'd fit in better in Florida (as well as other U.S states) and enjoy a greater sense of belonging. I don't want this to be a political discussion, so I'll leave it at that.

Old 03-30-2021, 10:11 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
There is nothing 'magic' about Florida, other than being warmer than most other states (and Canada) during the winter. Many people move here for just that reason, only to discover that finding a good job, a place to live and moving on with one's life ... is about the same as where they came from.

In this sense, it might be better for you to figure-out your vocational interests and get the requisite training, prior to simply moving to a new city in Florida - and hoping for the best. At least you have a familiar support system and network there, while you would be starting from zero in Florida.

The Florida vaccine situation seems to have COVID-19 on its way out and Florida 'lock-downs' haven't been too onerous. However, there have been COVID spikes due to 'business-as-usual tourists' who have seemed to confuse the beach and sun with a COVID cure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida