Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 06:10 PM

53 posts, read 147,619 times

Advertisements

Can anybody tell me some pros and cons about living in St. Augustine, FL? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 07:32 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
St. Augustine biggest con would be some of the traffic downtown and Anastasia Island related to tourism. There are large parts of St Johns County that have St Augustine addresses, but they are really suburban Jacksonville or rural areas.

I like St Augustine itself, it is an historic beach town. If you are still working it is ~30-45 minute commute to Jacksonville. It is sort of low key and relaxing, in other words not a lot of nightlife. Close to Jacksonville if you need a major airport or shopping. 1.5 hours to Orlando.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:58 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
To me, the biggest con is that 68% of the voters voted Republican in the last election. There is this myth about the city being liberal, but that's just what it is, a myth. Artsy does not mean progressive. That whole area of Jacksonville and St Augustine is nearly in Georgia. Very conservative country. Only the historic downtown (which is really touristy) is of much interest, and it closes up early. There is little to do anywhere else after that shuts down for the night. I would live in Savannah before living in St Augustine.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:21 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
To me, the biggest con would be that it would be living in a huge tourist trap. The "historic old town" is always crawling with visitors; traffic is horrible, and you have to pay to get in or see anything there. Outside of the historic district it is like any other coastal town, and overall pretty small, and fairly pricey. I have talked to people who moved there (even opened a business) and regretted it.

A very nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida