Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 10:18 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
I still remember Florida when there was no traffic. I have to keep watching Youtube videos of Florida's traffic just for the disbelief factor. (I use to be an yearly visitor, but I will never ever think of moving down there...)

Anyways, it's either the weather, cheaper house prices or both. The grass is either green or not so green on the other side, just like other places. However, with the constant population increases, there goes the question of quality of life. And then, there are the mosquitoes and the recent Zika news to think on.
The only reason I would go to visit Paramus was IKEA. GWB toll still gives me diarrhea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 984 times
No one is mentioning the water problem. There is a fresh water problem (read: shortage) and it will only get worse. County wells in South Florida are starting to be contaminated with sea water. The Southwest coast is chronically short of water and on water rationing. That will spread. And has anyone talked about the sink holes?
It isn't just the traffic that is a problem in Florida!!

Old 08-01-2016, 11:29 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
The government projects that at least 36 states will face water shortages within five years because of a combination of rising temperatures, drought, population growth, urban sprawl, waste and excess.

FL is one of the 3 top states in water usage. Texas and Cali are the other 2.

FL has been pumping out groundwater, destabilizing its limestone bedrock and contributing to the growing number of sinkholes. There are other causes but pumping out groundwater is a major cause.

Traffic a only a problem in and around metropolitan areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFLGal View Post
No one is mentioning the water problem. There is a fresh water problem (read: shortage) and it will only get worse. County wells in South Florida are starting to be contaminated with sea water. The Southwest coast is chronically short of water and on water rationing. That will spread. And has anyone talked about the sink holes?
It isn't just the traffic that is a problem in Florida!!

Old 08-01-2016, 11:37 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Default Keys lacks affordable housing

Not sure if that is true in the Keys. We are snowbirds, who still love living in the northeast, and spend winters in the Keys. This will be our last, as the prices have become prohibitive. In speaking to several people who live and work (hospital, retail, restaurants) in the Keys, they are barely getting by due to the lack of affordable housing and jobs. Seems they are busing people in from Miami for work in hotels, etc. and paying them less.

Also notice on the trip down and stays in various areas in FL, there is a lot of empty strip malls. The crime has also increased it seems from watching the nightly news in the winter. We would never move to FL. Too many negatives, including weather, for us.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:41 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post
While many move to Florida for the weather, some, like me, would love to move there but can't because I'd be miserable for 9 months of the year. So that puts a bit of a limit on growth. But I'd sure enjoy coming for winter.
Yeah but we are in the minority. Minnesota would be a better example. Minneapolis would be way more populated if it wasn't for their extremely cold weather. On the other hand, I LOVE climates like that.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:50 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I stand by this too. For me, the summer is fun in the sun. Beach, pool, sandels at my favorite outside bar. It's those November and December days that flirt back and forth between hot and perfect that irks me.

In July, whenever the heat gets to me I just remember tat the vast majority of the rest of the country is in the exact same heat, or worse! And they don't have beaches and pools in abundance.
We live in upstate NY. Have average 10-12 days a summer of 90 degrees, which is 10-12 days too many. We have a pool (temperature today is 84). Beautiful Adirondack mountains with gorgeous trees, clear lake water to go to the beach and flowers that bloom all summer. As stated in other post, we spend winters in the Keys, although this year will be our last. Costs getting prohibitive, traffic accidents daily on U.S. 1 and a lot of crime.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:27 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The government projects that at least 36 states will face water shortages within five years because of a combination of rising temperatures, drought, population growth, urban sprawl, waste and excess.

FL is one of the 3 top states in water usage. Texas and Cali are the other 2.

FL has been pumping out groundwater, destabilizing its limestone bedrock and contributing to the growing number of sinkholes. There are other causes but pumping out groundwater is a major cause.

Traffic a only a problem in and around metropolitan areas.
Desalination will fix a lot of that.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:30 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
But you are allowed to bring one???

lol

Old 08-01-2016, 12:58 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Not sure if that is true in the Keys. We are snowbirds, who still love living in the northeast, and spend winters in the Keys. This will be our last, as the prices have become prohibitive. In speaking to several people who live and work (hospital, retail, restaurants) in the Keys, they are barely getting by due to the lack of affordable housing and jobs. Seems they are busing people in from Miami for work in hotels, etc. and paying them less.

Also notice on the trip down and stays in various areas in FL, there is a lot of empty strip malls. The crime has also increased it seems from watching the nightly news in the winter. We would never move to FL. Too many negatives, including weather, for us.
What's with non-Floridians(or at least part time residents) commenting on vacant strip malls. As if those don't exist in NY state? They are all over the country. (here's an example).

Strip Mall Remains Vacant [Empty in Port Jefferson] - Port Jefferson, NY Patch

The economy is still not in good shape, so..

People make it sound as if it's a 'FL only' phenomenon. Btw, I have a friend on LI, he tells me the area is a hot bed for heroin and other drugs.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...in-island-nyc/

Crime is everywhere, but yeah good idea..stay up there. We have enough nay-sayers. If you're going to move to FL, at least be positive.

The weather is fine. Summer is when you can get in the water without freezing your ..., as up North.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:22 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Desalination will fix a lot of that.
Correct. Just like peak oil never happened and now we have an oil glut. Filled up this weekend at $1.89

Rising seas will be a harder fix than trying to get drinking water
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida