Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 10:58 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,335,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
We've been in Florida for almost 45-years now - and would not consider living anywhere else... except, perhaps, further south in Florida where the weather is nicer during the 'rugged arctic winters' we face in the Panhandle (5-years here)
The panhandle is where we first plan to stake our flag. Most likely Panama City (not Beach) just because we have some friends there who love it so much.

We considered Jax for a time, but my wife feels as though it's just too big for her.

We are enamored of the idea of St. Augustine and the Keys, but I don't think that would be economically viable for us.

Hopefully we can at least explore these places (and much of the rest of the state) at some point.

I keep hearing great things about St. Pete as well, and the Clearwater area.

Really our plan (such that it is) is to start in Panama City, see how we like it. Depending on how we feel about it, push on South along the Gulf Coast and see what we can see between the panhandle and St. Pete.

This will all be new to us. It's exciting. Florida is like America's Last Unturned Stone to us. Between my wife and myself, we've lived (or at least had significant time in) pretty much in every other part of the country.

Again, we aren't expecting a completely BS-free life of all ease and fun, and we know better to think there is any place without some problems, things we may not love, etc. We have (I think, given the fact we've never been to the state) pretty realistic expectations, and we are aware we can't plan everything out in advance to work perfectly...we know there will be unforeseen obstacles, unknowns, etc. But if we all knew life was always going to be perfect and go off without a hitch, well--where's the adventure in that?

We just hope that we'll meet some people who are welcoming. We are pretty apolitical, irreligious, live-and-let-live, laid-back types, but we enjoy good, kind people regardless of their beliefs, or lack thereof.

We are fun-loving, but not crazy party people.

And I do hope we get to see a LOT of beach/shore. We miss that a great deal. We've been stuck in Oklahoma the past 3 years. It's not all terrible, but we are approaching our 50s. I'd love to think we can spend a lot of the rest of our days in proximity to the Ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 11:12 AM

610 posts, read 533,040 times
With the "baby boom" generation retiring, expect the growth to continue for a while. Florida continues to have many attractions for residents of the Northeast after retirement.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:30 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,963 times
Weather and taxes and a lot of younger people follow their retiring parents I think. Only tropical state in the continental US.

I don't think it is jobs. Florida has very high U6 unemployment, so someone moving here wanting a corporate career would be quite disappointed.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:53 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,435 times
In Southwest Florida it saddens me to see trees and other land being torn down and paved over to accommodate yet another Publix, golf course or nondescript strip mall. The area is incredibly beautiful and I'd hate to see it lose that beauty over poorly thought out development. Growth is good to an extent but I'd like to see smart and efficient growth and not sprawling cheap chain stores.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:12 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
In Southwest Florida it saddens me to see trees and other land being torn down and paved over to accommodate yet another Publix, golf course or nondescript strip mall. The area is incredibly beautiful and I'd hate to see it lose that beauty over poorly thought out development. Growth is good to an extent but I'd like to see smart and efficient growth and not sprawling cheap chain stores.
People I know whose families have spent time in Hawaii over 3-4 generations say the same of it. It's like rich mainland developers came in, razed coastal Hawaii to the ground and replaced it with a Disney/Vegas version of "fake" Hawaii (TM).

Old 07-21-2016, 02:28 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Collier county could fit a million more people in its borders comfortably. It's actually the county with all its building restrictions that facilitate the spread out, eco-destructive tendencies of collier county.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:39 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Oh it is a lot more than that.
High paying jobs, educated people, good drivers, good local culture, low crime?

Old 07-22-2016, 11:22 AM

17,171 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
There's some truth to your sarcasm, I must admit, but honestly, warm weather and beautiful beaches a short drive away from anywhere within the state are MAJOR reasons why I chose to stay here. Were it not for the weather, I'd move my family to Montreal, no doubt. But the weather is that big of a deal to us that we remain here.
I recently got offered a job transfer to the DC area, which came with a rather handsome wage increase. I refused. Not worth it.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:38 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
The Census Bureau says the US population increased 0.79% from July 2014 to July 2015. North Dakota was the biggest gainer for a fourth straight year on a percentage basis as its population rose 2.3%. Florida saw the biggest change in population, adding 365,703 people.

Emmmmmmmm.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:54 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I guess so. The population continues to increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida