Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 02:13 PM

54 posts, read 196,298 times

Advertisements

we are considoring moving to florida, possiable Tampa or Titusville areas. For Florida in general, when it comes to heat/humidity, we would like to get some comparisions from folks. I grew up in Oklahoma(can we say hot??) and my husband is from northen Michigan, we are retired military, still young, and have lived all over. we are in east TN now. I have also lived in Massachussets, and summers there to me was as brutal as Oklahoma, but i lived thru it cuz i was used to humidity. what we would like to know is if anyone in florida that has ever lived in areas like OK,TX, upper east coast and delt with that sort of heat and humidity, and also lived in Florida, how would you compare it? Ive been on this board for a day now and see alot say how hot and humid it is, but most of those are from cold states and didnt know what heat was....lol, others seem to claim the coastal breezes keep it bearable, its humid, but again, bearable. i understand that june thru sept is hottest, so anyone that can offer up a comparision would be great(worse, same, less) thanks alot!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 02:21 PM

12 posts, read 46,474 times
Default Heat in Florida

I have lived in Central Florida since 1958. I have been to Big Spring, TX during the summer months and Stephenville, TX. Those areas are hot but they really did not seem as bad as Florida to me anyway. Florida's humidity is what get's me so bad. Those areas the heat seemed much "drier" but still hot. At least here you can go to the ocean, springs or lakes and take the edge off. It does seem like it get's hotter every year here but Wekiva Springs, Silver Springs, Daytona Beach, Cocoa Beach and such make it worthwhile, at least for me to stay where I am. Hope this was of some help.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:22 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,543,526 times
I am originally from CT and can remember having hot and humid weather. To me living here is no different just a longer season, and it doesn't bother me.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:35 PM

548 posts, read 540,942 times
It also depends where in Florida. When we lived in Pensacola, it felt much more humid than when we lived in Jupiter. I also felt Tampa was much hotter and stickier in the summer than Boca. Same with the Orlando area, I felt the air did not move a bit.

But the most uncomfortable I have ever felt was in Texas in August.

As far as Florida goes, I would say stick to the east coast, between Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Bay....within a few miles of the ocean. Not that its the arctic by any means, but the air moves more in the summer.

One other option, not available to many due to location and cost...Key Biscayne. It stays a few degrees cooler in July-Sep. than most other parts of Florida.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:43 PM

is the heat/humidity in florida pretty much the same thru out the state is some worse/less the others? we was thinken of goingback to oklahoma since my husband is a OTR truck driver and his company can base him anywhere most part, and he did his basic training in south texas, so he recalls the heat, and has been to florida often with loads and says he doesnt think its to bad, he is suggesting florida cuz we cant deal with any cold anymore(health) and thought the slim chance of hurrican verses tornado ally would be better if heat/humidity isnt any differant. im apt to agree, growen up in oklahoma, back in the days when no airconditioners unless ya was rich(70's-80's) i viviidly recall days of 100-115 in the shade PLUS humidity, but by that point, we didnt care that humidity was at 90%....it was already hot.....lol, what was bit more....lol. now that AC is the norm, it dont bother me at all, if hot, i can go cool off in water or inside..lol. but am still curious to how people would compare it. also, kids worried about gators...can ya swim at local lakes or is it unsafe? is gators all over? whats the real worry due to them and where? thanks!!

Old 02-19-2008, 02:49 PM

quick question also, i saw someone in forum(posted about 8 mo ago i think) that their average electric bill with runnen AC 24/7 was about 100 bucks...is this about right or way off? here in TN right now, with just about everyplace being total electric...and runnen AC alot in summer and heater in winter, we average(fmaily of 5) about 80-100 bucks, with peak bill at 124-140(at hottest part of summer and coldest part of winter), with kids, tv's, lights and etc ALWAYS on....lol, up north, we paid between 200-300 just for electric, not counting heat fuel...so we do enjoy the electrc bill when it arrives now...lol, can anyone give comaprision to theirs in florida(family of 4-5, alot of use, all electric place, avg of 1500 sqft) and is everything in florida electric or is propane cooking/heat a option?

Old 02-19-2008, 04:07 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
Some areas are more humid then others in the state Miami is more humid then Orlando but Orlando is hotter. The eastern coast is a bit less humid when you get to cocoa beach on up. Too tell you the truth it`s hot all over the state and unless you are on a beach it really does not matter.

I have not been to Texas but I hear it`s more humid on the gulf and hotter then Florida. The winters here are great makes up for the hot summers plus i have been here so long the heat is not much of an issue anymore. You just go about your daily lives. Just make sure your A/C is always serviced to keep it working or it will become an issue.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:13 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernharleyryder View Post
we are considoring moving to florida, possiable Tampa or Titusville areas. For Florida in general, when it comes to heat/humidity, we would like to get some comparisions from folks. I grew up in Oklahoma(can we say hot??) and my husband is from northen Michigan, we are retired military, still young, and have lived all over. we are in east TN now. I have also lived in Massachussets, and summers there to me was as brutal as Oklahoma, but i lived thru it cuz i was used to humidity. what we would like to know is if anyone in florida that has ever lived in areas like OK,TX, upper east coast and delt with that sort of heat and humidity, and also lived in Florida, how would you compare it? Ive been on this board for a day now and see alot say how hot and humid it is, but most of those are from cold states and didnt know what heat was....lol, others seem to claim the coastal breezes keep it bearable, its humid, but again, bearable. i understand that june thru sept is hottest, so anyone that can offer up a comparision would be great(worse, same, less) thanks alot!!!
We were stationed at Fort Hood, TX (central TX) for about 5 years. We moved to SWFL due to job circumstances when my husband's military commitment was complete.

I would not say it is the same for the areas we lived in. Central TX heat is just plain hot from May-Oct.
SWFL's humidity is oppressive from May-Oct & then add on the heat. I felt the humidity much more in FL.

Right now at this time of year, our friends at Hood have temps in the 50s & 60s. Our friends in Fort Myers are about 10 degrees hotter.

Remember many "winter" mornings be quite chilly as we got up for PT. Don't remember chilly mornings in SWFL. But also remember it being 85 degrees at 6:30am in TX during the summer.

Definitely different but both places get very hot during the summer & there is not cooling down at night.

It's gonna depend on what you guys like, that's all.

Our AC (always at 78 degrees) in Fort Myers was about $250/month (1800 sq ft) from May-Oct. Same in TX.

The heat & humidity is different in different parts of FL as it is in TX.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:44 PM

45 posts, read 171,856 times
I've lived in Oklahoma (five years in Lawton/Ft. Sill--dad was stationed there twice), and the heat there is completely different from the heat here. It may get humid there, but it's sooo different than Florida.

I remember it being 114 on my birthday in Lawton, and I'd still be out riding my bike. (Granted, I went in every few minutes for lemonade!) In Florida, it's can be like your body is surrounded by a thick layer of ...atmosphere...that also makes the air heavier (as well as hotter).

I've lived in Tampa, Brandon, Tallahassee, Inverness and Fort Myers in Florida. (And OK, KS, AL, GA and overseas--gotta love being a military brat).

Last edited by FSU_Alum; 02-19-2008 at 05:10 PM..

Old 02-19-2008, 05:04 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I have lived in Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, and Baton Rouge. Summer in FL is worse than Houston & Dallas but not quite as brutal as New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

My electric bill in the summer runs about $180-220. Just got my bill today and it was $94, the lowest ever full month billing. The size of your house and the quality of your windows/insulation will effect your bill, as will the age of your appliances/hot water heater/air conditioner.

Any lake or canal can find a gator in it. I don't let my dog swim anywhere but the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida